Found Holy Grail of Rare S&W Revolvers

Found a 2009 article from the Journal of S&W collectors on 2 inch S&W revolvers in US Military service.
It lists the Model 56 as a revolver in .38 spl., 2 inch heavy barrel, ramp front sight, US stamped on back strap, Serial #'s from K500001- K515205, and civilian possession approximately 27. In 1962 the Air Force ordered a .38 special S&W K frame revolver with adj. target sights and a 2 inch heavy barrel. S&W had not produced either its Model 14 or 15 with a 2" inch barrel at that time. The Air Force revolver had features from both and was designated by the factory as the Model 56. It was blued, had a heavy 2 inch barrel with a wide rib and plain stocks, neither the back strap nor the rear sight leaf was serrated, as is found in the Mod. 15. The Mod. 56 was marked U.S. on the back strap. A matching 5 digit assembly # stamped on left side of frame near butt, on the yoke opposite the frame and inside the side plates. Serials were not marked on the cylinder, extractor star, barrel flat or on the rear face of the yoke. MOD (over) 56 was marked on the left side of frame opposite the yoke. No P proof mark was applied. .... As of January, 2009 the Model 56 revolver, National Stock Number 1005-00-973-2058, remains in the Federal Logistics Information System as a terminal item, available for requisition by the Navy, subject to ordering until stocks are exhausted.
(Article written by K. Williams, C. Flick, & E. Archer)

I'm not a collector so being rare doesn't make me want to spend $5K for a 2" Model 15 (that's what it would be to me). You seem very happy with it. That's all that matters.

We had M56s and some Colt Detective Specials in the Launch Control Centers when I was a Missile Combat Crew Commander in the Titan II system.
When they pulled them out and replaced them with M15s, we were told that they would all be scrapped. I contacted Senator Barry Goldwater, trying to arrange for them to be sold at reasonable prices to USAF personnel. At the time (mid 70s) there was no chance of that happening and he told me it was a lost cause.
I loved those M56s! They were so damn cool!
You have a real gem there.

Yep...I trained with them at the Air Force Academy in '64...but never knew the model number...the guns were target sighted with ~2" bbl's. By '65 we had Model 15's...a much better gun for training new cadets or for aircrew use for that matter. I doubt any looked as good as the one the OP has depicted however. Rod

Now to find (if you don't already have one) the rare S & W rimfire revolver that was only issued to postal workers years ago. It was a K frame 4" tapered barrel, square butt with fixed sights and looked just like the model 10, but in .22lr. I tried to search for the model number, but nothing came up.

Now to find (if you don't already have one) the rare S & W rimfire revolver that was only issued to postal workers years ago. It was a K frame 4" tapered barrel, square butt with fixed sights and looked just like the model 10, but in .22lr. I tried to search for the model number, but nothing came up.
Sounds like the Model 45 / 22 Military & Police.

Yes, the Model 45, but it isn't nearly as rare. I've seen two on Gunbroker in the last 6 months and for darn sure, I was not even searching for one.

Here is the model 45 .22 mail carrier revolver. I really like this a lot. Very expensive! Just a good duty revolver in the model 10 .38 special, but a trainer/plinker in .22 would be cool to have and show off.

Last edited:
Back