Found handguns

Paulie -

RE: The American Bulldog revolver.
In the late 1800's and early 1900's, mystery writer Arthur Conan Doyle started his series of the classic Sherlock Holmes detective novels, which popularized a British revolver, the Webley - one model of which was called the Bulldog.

At that time, British revolvers scarce and expensive in the US, some American entrepreneurs started to make an inexpensive revolver reminiscent of the British guns, and marked them similarly to yours.
Forehand & Wadsworth was one of those firms - and that is what you have, a F&H "American Bulldog"

The other side pics are great, but the best info is in clear pics of the markings.

On one of the other revolvers, I could only make out (marked on the barrel top/rib) that it was made by "(?) & Co, Chicopee Falls, Mass, Pat'd Pending 1864" - which makes me think "Joshua Stevens", since most of his patents were from that year, IIRC.
Can you please tell us exactly what the wording on that revolver is ?

Nice group of guns paulie. I'm sorry I "blatantly" hijacked the thread. I was trying to get a side by side comparison with the stevens you pictured. Of course I could have started a thread but I felt it would be silly to have a thread referencing the other pic but at least hodogs would not have had to scold me. To be honest, I was kind of excited I saw a pic of a similar gun to the one I'm trying to get cause I didn't know at all what it was.

Thank you for your response and your time all. In regards to the print on the barrel I'll try to type it for you but these old eyes have seen better days and the print is so small, I'm tempted to use some steel wool to clean it up but another post told me not to.

J.S.EVENS &CC.CHECOPEE
HALLS,MASS.PAT.SEPT6 1864

winchester73, don't worry at all about it, I'm glad that you could give me some info and who would've figured a obscure old gun just like yours would pop up on a post like that.

Thanks for everyones time and knowledge!

PauliB the middle gun is deffinetly made by H&R as I have the same gun...its a great little shooter if you get it running right and if you have any problems with it go to e-gunparts.com and you can find everything there.

[J.S.EVENS &CC.CHECOPEE]
[HALLS,MASS.PAT.SEPT6 1864 ]

NOT !

It may be rusty now, but I can guarantee it originally read:

"J.STEVENS & CO, CHICOPEE
FALLS, MASS. PAT.SEPT6 1864 "

Joshua Stevens first worked for Sam Colt to help establish the Hartford factory, then under Edwin Wesson at Massachusetts Arms Co in Chicopee Falls, MA - where he obtained several patents for percussion revolvers.

When he invented a single-shot pistol, and patented it in 1864 - he went out on his own & founded what would become the largest firearms maker in the world, J.Stevens Arms & Tool Co, Chicopee Falls, Mass - until it was taken over by Savage Arms after WWI.

That barrel marking is one.

Back