"forcing cone" - ? - questions...

Hmm, what is the approximate cost of having my barrel set up for the choke tubes? I CAN use the same barrel, right?

CMOS

------------------
Join GOA, LEAA, NRA and vote!

Yes you can, CMOS.Mine was done in the early 90s, and it was about $90 for the job, $40 each for the tubes.I've got a Skeet, Modified,and Extra Full to cover the whole spectrum.

Greg Wolf of Easton, Md,did all the work, and I recommend him. I'll see if I can dig up a phone number if you're interested.

Sure I'm interested. Can he do the forcing cone too?

Another question, if I do some "patterning" with my 870MM, will the diameter of the pattern be the same for different shot sizes? Let's say #6 shot vs. using a #4 buck?

Thanks again.

CMOS

------------------
Join GOA, LEAA, NRA and vote!

I may be cynical - but you are probably better to buy a new gun with chokes and thenm do the work reloading and /or pattening... if you really feel you need screw-in chokes atall.
I think alteration of shotguns is best left to the skilled regulator/gunsmiths, who always specify for their guarentee shot size and loads specificially for a client requirement previously agreed upon.

To do otherwise or even DIY is very hit-or-miss but probably fun if you have the time and money.

Apart from very specialized applications( EG in competition )where ANY mental or other edge is so important, I feel that a lot of the currently trendy back-boring/cone/choke and barrel work is like a lot of expensive and unneccessary fishing lures...designed to catch more fishermen than fish!

------------------
***Big Bunny***

I'll have to look around, CMOS, but I'm sure I can find it. Yes, he can do the cone also.

As to your size of pattern, roughly the same. The folks who go in for the more extremely customized shotguns, like the turkey shoot folks, trashooters,etc, play with all the internal dimesions and pattern heavily. Each shotgun has a favorite load, and one may work well with say, 7 1/2 shot and not so well with 8s. But, this is perilous close to picking nits for our purposes here.4s and 6s should give the same size pattern but chances are one will be more even than the other.Both will work.

BB, true, but he still may end up with a POS, and he likes the weapon he has.Don't you like to see how far one can go with something? Excess is not always wretched!!

Hi CMOS,

If you can, find a 4'x4' piece of 1/2" ply, mark a black dot in the center, retreat about 25yds, aim at the dot and shoot it (with #8 or #9 bird shot).

With your cylinder barrel, you may cover most or even all of the wood with your shot pattern. Inspect the pattern carefully. There will be some clear patches with few or no shot (holes, suprisingly big too, eh!) and towards the outside edges of the pattern there will be stray shot.

Lengthening the forcing cone is supposed to clean this up and to regularize the pattern. When the crimp at the end of a cartridge opens in the chamber, the shot then travels through the forcing cone, where it gets somewhat compressed as it enters the barrel. By lengthening the forcing cone, you are slowing the compression of the shot. This reduces deformity in the individual pellets and to some extent smooths out the progress of the shot and the wad (which is pushing the shot) down the barrel. As a result of this and less deformities, the shot flies truer, therefore the pattern is better. It is not tighter, but it should not have as many holes in it or as many stray shot.

If you need a tighter pattern, you have to get chokes, its as simple as that.

To throw a little spanner into the works, most modern, plastic shotgun wads rotate somewhat in a smooth barrel (not nearly like rifling, though). Shot emerges from the barrel spinning. Further the individual pellets travel down range at slightly different velocities creating whats called a shot string or trailing shot. Therefore, when a shot fired at a piece of plywood 25 - 30 yds. downrange meets up with the stationary, solid, vertical plane, the pellets will strike it over a period of time. So, is the pattern left on the board, representative of the quality of pattern thrown by your gun with a specific cartridge.

Talking about fishing, these lures are getting very expensive and won't make a bit of difference to the guy casting flies, for bass, in a sport fisherman, off the coast of Florida.

Blue Bunny, keep on posting. I like it.

ENJOY SHOTGUNNING and try ISSF Skeet.

Hi Everyone-

What do you all think is the effect on durability of the shotgun? Is enough material removed when making these modifications that the firearm will have a shortened lifespan? Just curious of your thoughts.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

CMOS another factor you need to take into consideration is that your 870 Marine Magnum is hard chromed inside the barrel as well as outside. If you have any work done to the barrel you are going to loose part of if not all the corrosion resistance you paid the extra money for.

Also you need to let whomever you choose to do the work for you know that it is a chrome lined bore as some will not have the special reamers needed to cut through the hard chrome lining.

Another thing is that if you have any work done to the barrel there is a chance of the chrome lining peeling as there isn't a total coverage of chroming after the work.

Woody

Blue Jays, Greg will not do aftermarket backboring, he dislikes taking bbl metal away. He does do forcing cones,so it must not matter there, where the metal's thickest.

I'm not shooting as much as I used to, probably only a thousand rounds or so through the bbl that's been modified the longest. I fully expect the weapons to outlast me by several generations...

Good comments guys.

Thanks Beano.

Woody, are you sure that inside of the barrel is chrome lined? It sure doesn't look like it. I mean it doesn't look anything like my Benelli barrel. How can I confirm this?

CMOS

------------------
GOA, TSRA, LEAA, NRA, SAF and I vote!

Sorry,CMOS, it took a while to find the info,

Greg Wolf 410-820-8811 Days
410-673-7323 Eves

Hope this helps...

Back