For those who wonder why a high dollar SxS costs so much

I think the first complete one they showed was a rifle, unless it was a .410 though I swear I saw rifling.

I think I found the engraving to be the most impressive step.

Stoegers are not made by Benelli. They are both owned by Beretta.
I find I can switch the barrel selector if I need to about as quick as I can pick a trigger, but I haven't hunted mountain quail so I can't doubt you. My daughter is a lefty so I am familiar with the extra burden society puts on yall in many ways. She has small hands and found the reach to the front trigger on the other side bothersome on two trigger guns. I find the trigger set up on SxSs sort of like the safety location on pump guns, it doesn't matter too much to me, as long as the trigger selector is convenient. Won't own a non selective single trigger. The Win 23s were easiest being integrated with the safety. I do like double triggers a lot too. I sometimes hunt with the same choke in both barrels. I know I'm a bit strange on some things.

Last edited:
One thing about SxS's that cost more is the recievers are scaled to the gauge. The makers of less expensive guns use a 12 gauge reciever for 12 & 16, then drop down to 20,28, and 410. I've seen some 410 guns that have a reciever that looks like a crudely shapen piece of steel.

At one gun show there was a AYA (used) in 28 ga., nice engraving, OK wood, when you picked it up - it was as if the gun came alive - light, swinging fast and sure. It was also $3,500.

I own a couple of Beretta doubles and a Spanish SxS.

Many tasks that these guys are doing can be accomplished faster, better and less expensive using a CNC machine. Unfortunately, sooner or later these guys will be out of work.

Businesses either improve their processes or they go out of business. This shop will not be around in a few years.

The truth of the whole thing is the small gunmakers that only produce a few guns a year, sell all they make. And they are booked up for years in advance. There are many people around the world willing to pay any price for hand made quality.

Many tasks that these guys are doing can be accomplished faster, better and less expensive using a CNC machine. Unfortunately, sooner or later these guys will be out of work.

Some of these folks have been hurt by the global recession, but while their receivers are typically CNC'd by someone, the handwork for fit and finish is better than any machine. Certain things can only be judged by the human eye, the human sense of touch, and folks appreciate the craftsmanship

Thanks for the post and the video.

I was hoping to get a visual idea of how the barrels are regulated, and which shotshell components were used in the regulation process.

salty

This just an example of an "if I had the money" type rifle I would be after. I love big bore guns. Especially side by side big bores. I just happened to find the price tag on this one and thought I'd share

You want fries with that? :D

According to your thought process, there is no need for musicians, artists, or anything similar, because a computer can do that anyway

Agreed. Possibly CNC and robotics could approximate a lot of things, but it takes a human touch and human devotion to quality to give a gun like that a soul.

I've never been able to afford a top-flight double gun, or any other very expensive weapon. Never will unless I hit the lottery or publish my best-seller. But I can handle one of the gems and feel what went into making it a work of art.

We have a very fine historical arms museum in my city. I can get lost looking at the wonderfully crafted antique weapons, or the lesser ones redolent of history, and get a feeling I can't get from a Glock or SIG or Ruger. It's the echo of human hands on steel.

Back