For those who conceal carry a .44 Magnum...

I will only occasionally choose to carry a .44 mag....but when I choose to carry one - in an inside waist band Kramer horsehide leather holster with a forward FBI tilt...it has been either a S&W model 629 Trail Boss ( 3" barrel ) ....or an older model 29-1 in a 4" barrel. When I carry them, I will carry a 240gr JHP Black Hills.

I will also occasionally ...choose to carry a N frame model 627 in a 2 5/8" barrel ( 8 rd .357 mag ).

I can carry the N frames concealed ....but for me its more of a novelty to do just for the heck of it.

99% of the time when I choose to carry a revolver.. it will be a K frame .357 mag ( model 19 or 66 in a 4" ...or a model 66 in a 2 1/2" ) again in an inside waist band Kramer rig.

When I carry a .357 Mag...its also with 158gr JHP Black Hills...
-------------
Most of the time I will carry a Wilson Combat 5" 1911 in 9mm...

attachment.php

S&W 629-1 4 inch. I use DPX 225 gr for hunting and 250 gr LSWC hard cast with 8 or so grains of Unique for everything else.

And yep, that one above is it. It's semi-concealed!

Deaf

When on my ATV, I carry my .44 Vaquero in a pancake belt holster under an un-tucked shirt. Not deep cover, but it works for me.

For a big round like that, I've finally found a good carry gun...S&W's M69. The "L" size frame limits the round count to 5 shots, but the gun weighs less than 38 oz. on my wife's digital kitchen scale and with it's 4-1/4" bbl., it's got the sight radius and heavy weight bullet punch for most any encounter in the lower 48. I'll risk being flamed here and state that while I dearly love the look and fine quality of my older Smiths, this new one, even with that much-maligned internal lock [IL], is a favorite side arm on the farm for everyday chores. And BTW, accuracy is all that I could ask for; with 71 yo eyes doing the steering, it'll punch out honest 2" or less gps. from a rest on the 25 yd. line. Rod

carry

That new M69 is attractive, even more so since they've announced a 2-3/4 inch barreled version. I've lamented for such a thing on the K or L frame for some time, ever since the demise of the 5-shot .44SPL on the L frame, the 696. Now we've got the M69, and had I not the attachment to my 629 Mtn Revolver, I'd run out and buy the new 5 shot.

My Mtn Revolver is early issue, there is not any inscription on the barrel regards "MTn gun". I use either a Bianchi #8 holster or an Aircrew shoulder rig, and a single speed loader pouch of unknown make. Despite sound reasons to use factory ammo for SD, my load for that gun is a GP reload, a 240 or 250 gr LSWC running at 850+ fps, ie, sort of .44spl +P. I do not routinely carry this revolver for SD, it's a woods roamer, but along the way, should I need to stop or whatever, it obviously goes into the SD role with the ammo that was in it. I experimented with some .44 spl factory ammo, the W-WSilvertips and the Federal LSWCHP, but swappping ammo back and forth between the gun and the loader was tedious, and in the end, just went with the heavy GP slug.

I have in the past carried a 44 mag N-frame. I now still carry an N-frame but in a 8shot 357 magnum.

I carry in a pocket holster. I fairly recently found 5.11 pants that have pockets big enugh to hold my 627 PC.

The holster is a simply rugged pocket holster. It also has a spot for 8 rounds on a speed strip.

I tried a Ruger Alaskan and a Smith 629 for a while. The Smith was 4" and huge! The Alaskan was wide in the cylinder, but because of the tang grip, I could make more concealable grips for it ( for .45 colt loads) and the short barrel made it seem smaller.
But it was the weight that got to me, my pants were dragging down all the time.
I guess because I got skinny hips.

I have in the past carried a 44 mag N-frame. I now still carry an N-frame but in a 8shot 357 magnum.

I carry in a pocket holster. I fairly recently found 5.11 pants that have pockets big enugh to hold my 627 PC.

The holster is a simply rugged pocket holster. It also has a spot for 8 rounds on a speed strip.

An N frame in a pocket holster.... I can't wrap my head around that.

If I carry a 44 mag it would be a custom 4" Redhawk in a Ruger branded triple K holster OWB with Federal Hydroshoks, it would defiantly be a woodsy situation but the Hydroshok load should be good for about anything.

"OP Buffalo Bore makes a wicked "Anti-Personnel" load in .44 magnum. Should be ideal for your porpoises."

He gonna be shooting his "porpoises" in a barrel or in open water?

S&W69 5-shot 4-1/4" .44mag, every day, from pajamas-off until pajamas-on, in a homemade under-the-shirt vertical cloth shoulder holster, loaded with Underwood 240gr XTP JHP's. With the X500 recoil-absorbing grip.

I CC a Smith 329PD with a couple nice mods full of 240g white box everyday out here in AZ. Used to tuck a 629-3 5" now and then till I picked up the feather gun

picture.php

I had a Ruger alaskan for a very short period. I carried .44 special loads in it when I felt the urge to carry something big bore. It was in a home made owb holster that rode pretty high under a jacket. Usually in the winter time. I personally didn't find it to be of much use for me. I'd rather have a 357 snubby in my waist line. So it found it's way out of my collection. But that 44 with special loads more fun to shoot than a 357 snubby with 38 +p loads. If I remember correctly them loads were the factory 180 grn XTP Hornady Custom.

Back