For those that want a K31

Geezerbiker

I was in Cabellas today just looking around since I don't get over that way very often... Anyway they must have had 20 Swiss K31's on the shelf. If the store here has that many, they must have gotten a ton of them. The best part was they were from $399 to $450...

Tony

I don't know what to say. I saw 20 or more on the rack in the used gun department.
Try calling, they may still have a few...

Tony

The best part was they were from $399 to $450...

I got my "fix" and thoroughly explored the K31 back when they cost $60 (and the scope mount cost $80!!) ;)

Neat rifle, interesting piece of history. At $60 or even $100 a great bargain. at $400 or so, not even close...

I would have to disagree but then its a real difference of opinion.

I am quite taken with both the rifle and cartridges.

I build a 7.5 Swiss on a Savage action. I have found maybe 5 in a several years of looking for others who have done it.

The interesting part was it was a simple barrel change and opening up the bolt head a bit with a dremel tool.

Mine is single shot, I only do target and not worth working on the magazine but I believe a short magnum magazine would work in it.

I've had a few, bought when they were around $100. Nice, well made accurate rifles but too heavy to carry and particular to reload for. OAL is critical for most American bullets. I just traded my last one for a C-308. I think both of us think we got the best deal............as it should be.

You have to be into Mil Surplus to appreciate it. I am and do.

I could have hunted with it happily back in the day.

Gobs of reload round choices as its a true 30 caliber.

I don't know what to say. I saw 20 or more on the rack in the used gun department.
Try calling, they may still have a few...

Maybe not listed on the internet for a while?

What kind of shape were they in?

Notice the import marking and nicely done or a mess?

You have my sympathy, that is plain broke.

I can usually finagle it.

What condition were they in? Stocks beat up and import marks?

I checked our local BassCab to see if they had gotten a scattered allotment but de nada.

The K31s have slowly but continually gone up in price. For someone that appreciated beautiful design and precise manufacture, they are a work of art. Usually they have excellent triggers and most have been very well cared for. they have a well deserved reputation for great accuracy too. The only item that frequently is lacking is the butt area of the stock is damaged. Some say because they were put down in snow & the water damaged the butt area.

That and the crampons the soldiers use in said snow and ice to knock it off the butts.

The damage reflects that, once you pierce the surface there is a bit of penetration to the water.

Indeed a mechanical marvel and good trigger.

A kind soul is sending me some GP11 to see how that shoots.

Its a fun gun and you can add a non intrusive scope mount (good iron sight but I can't shoot iron sights worth a hoot)

I was most fortunate to find a buy who wanted to pass one on to an interested party, no import markings and the stock is clean as a whistle.

No trooper tag but I will take the rest over that.

A lot of fun to talk to other shooters about it, a real eye catcher.

Those rifles were the most accurate battle rifles of WW2, and arguably the best. The 7.5 Swiss GP-11 ball is match-grade ammo and is reasonably priced and easy to find. Awesome guns all around.

I got my "fix" and thoroughly explored the K31 back when they cost $60 (and the scope mount cost $80!!)

Neat rifle, interesting piece of history. At $60 or even $100 a great bargain. at $400 or so, not even close...

Wrong! They are a bargain, even at $400. What do 1903's go for? Even "cheap" 1903s? Are 1903s better made? I'm not talking about NM rifles or snipers, but if you want to make that comparison, again, $400 is a bargain. Is a $400 K31 not as good as a RAR or Patriot in .308? Ridiculous!

Those rifles were the most accurate battle rifles of WW2, and arguably the best. The 7.5 Swiss GP-11 ball is match-grade ammo and is reasonably priced and easy to find. Awesome guns all around.

Can't get the GP11 anymore.

A lot of places say up front they have it, then its been substituted by PVI.

Wrong! They are a bargain, even at $400.

Not wrong. Bargain is in the eyes (and wallet) of the beholder. It may be cheaper than other guns you can compare it to, but if you don't have the $400 to spend on it, its not a bargain.

It might be a bargain to you, but to me, not so much. Neither of us is wrong.

“...Too heavy to carry...”

too heavy to carry..compared to what???

Heavier then needed for hunting? Absolutely. But it wasn't designed to be a hunting rifle. It was designed to be a combat rifle. And a combat rifle in an era when the rifle was expected to be both useful and survive combat, BOTH kinds of combat, ranged, AND hand to hand!

If you have to block an enemy's bayonet thrust, and deliver a riposte of your own, capable of putting the other guy out of the fight, AND having your rifle still in working order afterwards, that extra weight is IMPORTANT.

Foolish to buy a pickup truck, then complain because it is bigger and heavier than a motorcycle...;)

Back