For those considering a NAA Ranger, watch this

Even though I think the Ranger is a cool little gun, I'd rather have the Sidewinder with its solid frame.
What are the possibilities of "frame stretch" on the Ranger, as was mentioned somewhere else?

Try reading the manual

If the guys that made the video read the manual and did what it says, they may not have encountered the problem when shooting with live ammo.

It says: "Practice the cocking action with an empty cylinder before firing live ammunition."

I would think that you would discover it then if you are holding the grip or hammer wrong. If I ever opened it by accident I would learn the first time and never do it again, I sounds like these guys couldn't learn from their errors because they kept doing it.

Attachments

• RIImanual1.jpg
    RIImanual1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 17
  • RIImanual2.jpg
    RIImanual2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
When somebody is beating your head in, and you are desperately trying to cock the mini revolver it would be very easy to open the gun.

I also noticed he was cocking with he inside knuckle, but it looked as though it would be quite awkward for him to cock it with the pad of his thumb on such a small revolver.

I presume that this is the reason that the latch on most old S&W top-breaks pivots forward rather than back.

Actually, it surprises me that NAA didn't take another simple hint from S&W and use serrated side knobs rather than a serrated hump at the top. IMHO the humped and serrated NAA design needlessly makes accidental opening much more likely. Side knobs would admittedly require a finger and thumb to open rather than just the thumb, but reloading the weapon is a two-handed job anyway.

I like this new NAA design but I don't see it as being very practical. The best feature of the NAA line is that they can be had so small: so small you can count on the bad guys being completely surprised by that first shot.

Last edited:
NAA started out with just the tiny .22 short pistol. All they could do was make it bigger. .22 LR, then .22 WMR, then longer barrels and oversized grips. The bigger ones are larger than a J frame .38.

The bigger ones are larger than a J frame .38.

Somehow, I fail to see the advantage of a .22 Magnum the size of a J-frame. :p

I've heard nothing but great things about the company and I've handled their products before, but I'd say the smallest .22 Mag they have would be their best product, slow reloads and all.

You could always carry a half dozen of them as New York reloads. :p
It's an option, there are a lot of options with the NAA revolvers. Personally, I've concluded that carrying an NAA that comes with the .22 Mag and LR cylinders is good enough. Once all 5 shots of Magnum have been shot, remove the cylinder, replace with the loaded LR cylinder. If 10 shots doesn't finish the job, nothing else you likely have will.

Bought my little Mini magnum 30+ years ago. Never could manipulate the single action very well until I installed these "factory" boot grips a couple of years ago. Dang near doubled the size of the gun though....

4_C5_CC2_A1_EE90_4_FB7_B024_F53362348_CCA.jpg

Back