"For The Money"

Folks, good for the money implies it's a good buy for what you get. Not necessarily a less reliable gun. I think my Citadel 9MM was good for the money but it ain't as good as guns that cost 3 or 4000.00. Never will be , I don't expect it to be as good but it serves my purposes just as well as a 4000.00 Wilson. Sometimes it actually means added value. I have a Colt Wiley Clapp Commander that has several options that would cost more had I bought a standard gun and had the options added.

Last edited:
I appreciate the various replies, and this has definitely been illuminating. I have usually heard the phrase when someone is talking about a gun that is "not cool.". It's almost as if they are afraid to lose face for saying a Hi-point, Taurus, etc. Is good, so they add the qualifier in order to keep their cred. I had never thought of it as having a good connotation, such as meaning you got more than what you paid for. Thanks for all the responses.

A good value for the dollar makes sense to me. There's a huge difference between a reliable, inexpensive pistol and a high end, high quality pistol.

You're talking night and day.

All guns are compromises.
If I buy a gun that does exactly what I want, it doesn't matter what it costs.
My Keltec P32(s) don't cost a lot, but there isn't another gun that meets my criteria for pocket carry. If they cost $1000 or $100, it doesn't matter.

I think the only thing that matters is if you think the gun you bought was a good gun for the money.

If you think you could have gotten the same gun for less money, or a better gun for the same money, then the gun you got may not be a good gun for the money... it might just be a decent gun for the money.

Sometimes you get a GREAT gun for the money!!!:D

Sometimes you get a pretty bad gun for the money:mad:
But then you have a surprise project gun:o

Sometimes you get an INCREDIBLE gun for the money:eek:

I think "good gun for the money" still applies.:)

To finalize, let's imagine 2 of the same gun, exactly the same gun, and one of them is in better condition than the other, but both are the same price, and the price is known to be spot on market value for the one in worse condition. So lets say that you buy the one that is in better condition for the same price that the one in worse condition is selling for... then you've probably got ....

... A Good Gun for the Money:)

Last edited:
The best way I Think is to go into www.youtube.com and simply ask "problems with" whatever gun you are interested in, this will give you an idea. The comments can be an indication. Unless a Gun Basher does not have a legitamet grip on the weapon then you take that with a bit of salt.

A check with the www.bbb.org on the Company can tell you if they stand by their Product, it is a real drag when customer service sucks...expecialy if it´s a several hundred $ purchase.

Good for the money to me means its a bargain for what you get. As far as slack goes, if its unreliable, difficult to use and maintain, or not very accurate I don't keep it for long.

Agreed. I am pretty cheap, but it's a waste of money if it doesn't work.

Here is an example. It is the Russian Makarov in 380 that I paid $149 for NIB. It isn't fancy, but it has always functioned well. It is "built like a tank" (T34?) and will doubtless outlast me.

Makarov380_zpsc4f1a36d.jpg

When I understand what somebody is trying to say, I don't feel compelled to nit-pic their choice of words in order to argue with them on matters on which I don't really disagree, because I find it really annoying when people do that to me.

"Good gun for the money" simply means it meets or exceeds expectations for a gun in that price range.

I think it is a term used to imply a lower priced gun will do what a higher priced gun will do, just as well, for a cheaper price.

Is the fit and finish different? Sometimes. Are they out classed in performance by the higher priced gun? Sometimes. Do they do the intended job as well as the price tag says another, higher pried, name driven brand does. Most times.

I often use the term when describing the SR line or the M&P stock line. Both go bang. Both are fitted and finished well. Both are extremely accurate and reliable. Yet they don't carry the price tag many use to define quality. And this forum is no different than any other specialty forum. It is full of guys that buy and preach the price tag as the determining factor of quality or value. So the term gets used as a shout out to show those name brand junkies that the $400 gun does it just as well as the $800 gun for some people. Without the high price.

Ask yourself this next time you take a polymer made striker fired pistol part. All are similar and are manufactured with a few high production parts. All are made of plastic polymer of some sort, with steel rail inserts, metal upper's and barrels, etc.... Some come with safeties and ambidextrous features. Some may have two metal slides inserted along the frame. Which designates a higher price for the added reliability. $400 higher? Not a chance. You are buying a lot of name and reputation in most circumstances since the production cost might be raised by a few dollars with these added feature's. God Bless

I just got a gun that is good for the money. It is a poly pocket 380. It seems to be accurate and reliable. I would prefer the sig p238 just because it is prettier and I like 1911 style pistols. At the same time, it is not something I plan to carry except when I can't carry a gun. I do not think I will ever enjoy a pocket pistol at the range. It will serve its purpose well so I consider the step down in price to make it good for the money.

"A good gun for the price"...

Depending on what point a person wants to make it can mean a few things. Context matters.

It means you got a good gun at a reasonable price. Meaning that they expected to pay more for a gun of that quality and were impressed when they got it for less.

Or that you got a good deal on a good gun.

In some cases a person can mean that for $100. it shoots and doesn't blow up in their hands.

So it's all about the context and the point a person is trying to make.

tipoc

I think often we buy stuff and after using it for a time you reflect back and say "Wow that was a good X for the money!". Doesn't matter if it was a gun or truck or whatever. I know one guy bought a Mercedes and drove it about 22 years and over 300K miles with only maintenance costs like fuel, oil, tires, etc. One day he was remarking it was an amazing car for the money, and it was an expensive car when he bought it.

I do have my Taurus PT1911 experience. I was one of the first people in my area to buy one. It was a $499 thing at the time. Still got it.

Looks great on the surface. Has bunches of stuff people were paying extra for. Beavertail, Heine sights, FLGR, checkering of the front strap, checkered flat MSH, ambi thumb safeties, long trigger with overtravel adjustment, Series 80 mechanical firing pin safety, safety lock on the hammer, S/N on frame/slide/barrel and other stuff I forget. Granted several of those things are loveit/hate it, like Series 80, FLGR, lock on hammer, etc. Still a lot of crap for the money.

I shot it and it was not bad. Let my friends shoot it and many of them went out and bought one. Looked like a good deal for the money. Almost to a friend they all had problems with theirs. Safeties fell off, FTF, FTE, etc. etc. Then several had horror stories about dealing with Taurus customer support or maybe the lack of it. These days mine stays in the back of the safe most of the time and I am careful if I take it out and shoot it who I go out with. So was it a good deal since I ended up making a bunch of shooty buddies unhappy.

Here is me shooting 6 rounds at 15 yards with it.

And about the same time 6 rounds with one of those overpriced Colts. This was an XSE LW Commander which was about an $800 thing back then. Again 6 rounds at 15 yards. Same expensive target.

For me the Colt was a better deal for the money.

If I buy a gun, car, motorcycle, truck or anything else, if my purchase is not "good for the money", I have failed. "Good for the money" is not an indication of cheap but rather an indication of good value. My John Deere was not cheap but it was well under market value. My motorcycle was the same.

Back