Following the 12 g. HD thread

Call me stupid--but maybe it makes sense to talk about barrel types and chokes used and their relative impact. Improved...Modified etc.

Iowa law requires slugs if you are hunting deer with a shotgun, as well as single projectiles for any other firearm that is allowed for deer hunting, e.g., muzzle loaders, specified handgun cartridges and center fire rifles .24 caliber or larger.

It is my understanding that Iowa deer are much larger than Alabama deer.

I never shoot for the head or neck unless I am standing over a live deer that has already been shot.

Hunting deer with birdshot is illegal and unethical.

If however, someone decides to load their shotgun with birdshot for defense, thats their business.

Last edited:
I see the allure of having a 6-8" shot pattern on an intruder, theoretically you can puncture both lungs, puncture the heart and maybe one or two major blood vessels.

But it all is kind of predicated on getting that perfet shot at the perfect distance. If you're not getting the perfect shot at the perfect distance you're missing your target and sending one or two or more pellets out of the room (I'm sure this resurects the birdshot argument).

So anyway, I think it's probably better to try to have a tight shot group, I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

I think Fedral's FLITECONTROL design has more of an impact on shot pattern size than choke.

Call me stupid--but maybe it makes sense to talk about barrel types and chokes used and their relative impact. Improved...Modified etc.
Not stupid at all, but it is 1Hobie's thread. If he doesn't mind, it's a good question. My SPX is cylinder bore, of course, so chokes don't mean anything to me, but what about the guys that might be using their field guns for double duty? IC perhaps, for HD, or what?

Stevie-Ray how do you like your SPX ??

I thought the SPXs were past their initial bugs, but a guy on the Mossberg owners forum bought a new from factory one in July of last year and it had a burr in the feed tube like some of the earlier models.

I hope Mossberg isn't experiencing problems with these again...

Nope don't mind at all

:)My question was answered many moons ago. I certainly didn't mean to
re-fire up the debate that has ensued. I've learned a great deal however that has and will influence my future purchases.

Now it's pump or semi-auto....;):D

Carry on.

Hobie

Stevie-Ray how do you like your SPX ??

I hope Mossberg isn't experiencing problems with these again...
I've had mine for a little over a year and love it. It hasn't hiccupped once, including crappy target loads. What I shoot most out of it is 00 buck from Win/Rem, since it's widely available around here, and it is generally considered the #2 load for HD, so I like to have it around. I make certain I stay current with it, but the SPX seems to shoot everything I put in it rather splendidly. Soft-shooting due to the action, even with all kinds of buck. And BTW, don't let anybody tell you you can't get a proper cheek-weld due to the sights being too high, because the stock is adjustable. I've noticed they never seem to include that little factoid when they're complaining about a gun they don't own.

I suppose that if it ever craps out on me, I'll be PO'd at Mossberg, but for now the love-affair continues, and I simply can't think of a better HD shotgun at the price I got mine for.

Back