Focusing on the target

XS Big Dot
If standard size front sights are too small, consider the XS Big Dot.

I focus on the front sight.

Interesting thread UncleEd. And I can relate to your issues as can most "older" folks who are always looking for their "cheaters".

I've said it many times . . . the key is "practice, practice and more practice". There are those who work their fannies off for "tight groups" and hopefully all holes touching . . . and that is admirable . . . nothing wrong with that.

BUT . . . as I've always said . . . until you are in a SD situation . . you don't know how you will react . . . if you think you do know . . . you're only kidding yourself.

As stated, the perp may be moving . . they may be facing you or turned sideways . . . you will never know until it happens and so, yes, in some situations a tight group would be necessary in order to hit CM. But, for all those who think they are prepared . . . then you need to run a half mile, do a hundred jumping jacks and get your heart pumping hard enough that you can feel it hitting your chest walls. Get your adrenalin flowing and really recreate what a SD situation is all about . . . and don't forget to add fear to the equation as well. Then you "might" have a inkling of what you'll be facing.

If you are faced with a SD situation . . . I doubt very much if you will be concentrating on your front sights . . . you"ll be concentrating at looking at your target and in that process, you should be scanning for a second perp as well.

I started concentrating on the target a long time ago. With practice and learning your SD weapon, you'll train your muscles that you use and eventually your groups should tighten up with continued practice. Most SD situations are going to happen so quickly . . and usually at close ranges . . that you are not going to have but a few seconds to react . . . let alone aim . . . so strive for "instinctive" shooting. If you've ever been shot at, you know exactly what I am talking about . . if not . . . don't let "false bravado" lead you into thinking that you will ever be "100% ready" for having to pull and use your SD weapon. Target shooting and punching paper for tight groups is one thing . . . SD shooting is a totally different ball game.

I've become a fan of Grant Cunningham and he advises to focus on the
target and learn to point the handgun from eye level but not seeing the
sights clearly. Which is exactly how I am without my reading glasses.

Those of us who shoot a lot of shotgun at clay targets do this as a matter of course. POINT the gun, FOCUS on the target and not the sights, hit target....;)

Back