Fobus Gun Grab Video

concealed means concealed, nobody should know you have it anyway. I carry just about all my off-duty guns in level 0 holsters (tension retention only)

Posted by 444:
The only reason I own a Kydex holster at all is because no school that I have ever attended allowed me to use my actual concealed carry holster...................................

I have used a Fobus paddle holster in at least five formal firearms classes at some of the top schools in the country...................If the class had anything at all to do with weapon retention that would be one thing. If the instructor just thinks it is clever to rip holsters off the hips of his paying customers, we would have a big issue.

The only reason I own a Kydex holster at all is because no school that I have ever attended allowed me to use my actual concealed carry holster........ They demand that you use an outside the belt holster that doesn't break the "180".

1. Fobus holsters aren't Kydex. Blade Tech, Comp-Tac, Sidearmor, Uncle Mike and almost every other decent synthetic holster is Kydex. The Fobus is made of some cheap, injection molded, flexible plastic.

2. I find it hard to believe that you went to all those "formal classes" at those "top" schools and you didn't receive instruction in weapon retention. That topic is covered at the basic defensive pistol course level by many instructors. And FWIW, that's where I have seen instructors demonstrate why the Fobus isn't recommended for CCW.

3. I have never attended a course that required the use of "outside the belt" holsters. All allowed IWB holsters. I guess I just haven't been to any "top" schools.

Fastbolt: Excellent, cogent post.

I guess not.

I have never seen a student with an inside the waist band holster at any of them. And, only one instructor: Louis Awerbuck carried IWB. Of course out of those classes, only a few (four ?) were handgun classes, but at some of the long gun classes (the ones at Gunsite) they wanted you to carry a handgun also. At all of them, at least the instructors were carrying handguns and only one of them was carrying inside the waist band.

And, at none of them was weapon retention discussed that I remember. I can assure you that no instructor destroyed any student's equipment.

just because nobody carried IWB, doesnt mean it was a rule, I carry IWB and would be upset if i went to a class on using my weapon, and they forced me to carry it in a manner i wasnt going to. Itd be like learning how to hit golfballs with a baseball bat when training for your tour card.

Maybe you are right.
After saying all this, I don't remember now if anyone ever told me not to carry inside the waistband. In fact, when I made that last post I checked a couple websites and none actually say what kind of holster they want you to carry. I don't remember now if they sent out information before hand that led me to believe that or how exactly I got that idea. I guess I got the idea from the various handgun sports I have shot that wouldn't allow me to carry a holster behind the hip. To be honest, the first couple classes I went to, it never occured to me to carry IWB because they were carbine classes. At Gunsite they wanted you to carry a handgun in the carbine class and I never thought about carrying concealed since I was openly carrying a carbine. The first handgun class I ever took: Gunsite 250, I bought a BladeTec holster at the Gunsite Pro-Shop on the advice of the instructors because they didn't like the cant on the holster I showed up with. After a couple classes, I wanted to carry IWB but since I had never seen anyone ever do it, I guess I ASSUMED that it was not allowed.

So, I was talking out my ear. I was wrong (I guess ?, can't prove it anyway ?).

But, the fact still remains that no one did it in any of the classes I ever took. A couple of the classes I took even required you to shoot most of the class from concealment and everybody just used an outside the belt holster with a cover garment. I took one as recently as within the last month, no one used an IWB holster and no one mentioned weapon retention.

And .....STILL..... nobody uses lanyards.

I haven't seen any lanyards designed to keep attackers from being able to take guns and I haven't seen any so strong that they would remain attached to the original carrier. Lanyards are meant to prevent loss via means such as droppage, not fighting...

This one is designed to 100 lbs test. It will separate with a good yank.
http://www.slingsonly.com/pistol_lanyard.html

Here is the concealed carry version that appears smaller, hence I would think it is less strong. Check out the way you use it to get back your gun. When the attacker has the gun pointed at you, you yank the lanyard. I am sure he won't pull the trigger or anything. I really like the fact that you don't attempt to control the gun, but the lanyard first, then the gun. Seems like they have the order wrong given that as long as YOU don't control the gun, it may still harm you or other good guys. The way the lanyard is grabbed and pulled, it looks like it is still pointed at the cop in the images. See images 7 and 8
http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/merchant.mvc?page=MSP/PROD/Pistol_LANYARD/TTL-PCO-TAN

For giggles, check images 4 and 5 and compare with 6 and 7. The gun is grabbed with the left hand and then inbetween images, the attacker changes hands. It is too bad the cop didn't react during the transition when the attacker's grip on the gun was most vulnerable. Apparently nobody in the images believes in two-handed holds or just pulling the darned trigger.

I'm always amazed when people defend Fobus as if its anything more than a $20 holster. It is not the "Bersa" of holsters - you Bersa owners know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
That's the problem, all you people are carrying in plastic holsters.

I wish "gunleather" was more than a figure of speach.

;)

Boy we got kind of nasty over asthetics. It boils down to this: If fobus works for you, great use it. If you dont like it/doesnt work DONT USE IT! Yes fobus is a bottom dollar holster. not all of us can afford to spend 75-150 bucks for a holster. Ive tried unlce mikes (not very comforable) safariland (didnt fit my gun well, poor retention) and galco (OK but i dont like shoulder holsters) and every time i got back to the fobus. BTW fobus is now making an IWB holster.

http://www.botac.com/foiwbho.html

But it doesnt look that comfortable either.

SW

Am I the only one who could care less? First, my gun is concealed. No one should know I have it unless I'm already aware of a threat and had to draw. Secondly, if the guy knew I had a weapon and also had the jump on me as completely unprepared like with the guy in the video, he could also just stab, choke, knock out, shoot me first, whatever. A different holster wouldn't matter, you're already at an almost impossible disadvantage. Third, even if I had a better holster, if I can remove the gun, so can he. If he has you so completely unaware like in that video, he might as well unstrap your gun too. Or get a guy strong enough or determined enough, and he'll rip your $400 holster away from you, taking your pants and belt with it too if need be.

Third, even if I had a better holster, if I can remove the gun, so can he. If he has you so completely unaware like in that video, he might as well unstrap your gun too. Or get a guy strong enough or determined enough, and he'll rip your $400 holster away from you, taking your pants and belt with it too if need be.
Well said. I've attended and taught at numerous seminars where handgun retention was worked on, and I think over the years I have seen virtually every brand of holster made fail at one time or another. FWIW, I've got lots of holsters including Safariland, Kramer, Bianchi, and have used lots more over the years, but the one I find myself using the most for waistband carry these days is the Fobus. It works well, it does the job it is designed for, and is comfortable for me. And it has made it through a couple of handgun retention classes without falling apart.

Back