FNX 45 vs M&P 45

Excoastie

I've been considering purchasing a new range gun. I want a full sized .45.

Previous experience with a .45 was an XDS; I liked the gun, but I found it a bit "snappy," which I attributed to its size. My carpal tunnels would start to act up after about 20-25 rounds.

I'm NOT looking to carry it; I have my Shield 9mm for EDC. I'm looking for a range gun, and possibly something to grab if the need arises at home.

I have been considering the FNX 45 (sometimes called the FNP) and the M&P 45. I have read quite a bit about both, and I have held both. I like the feel of both. I do not have a preference as to striker or hammer fired. The difference in magazine capacity also isn't a factor for me. I'm not a fan of the 1911 platform, so that is not an option for me; I'm looking for opinions of these two weapons.

Is there a valid argument for one over the other? or like most things does it just come down to personal preference?

Exco

I would go with the M&P .45 if its the 2.0 model. The m&p 2.0’s have a more aggressive grip texture, a better stock trigger than the 1.0’s, and have 4 different palm swell inserts to choose from for hand size. S&W’s warranty is solid too.

While I know you stated you don't have a preference, the manual of arms is a pretty big difference IMO. With the FNX you're either firing that first shot in DA or disengaging the safety and then firing that shot. The M&P is different, although it can be had with a safety too. I've owned a number of M&Ps and one FNX, though that was in 40SW. I think reliability wise both seem to be pretty good by reports, and a lot of it would be personal preference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Never shot the FNX but do own a M&P45 2.0 Full Size.

I like it very much, it is very accurate, has a great trigger and the recoil is surprisingly light. I would recommend it.

Thanks everyone!

It seems that I cannot go wrong with either one. I'll have to see if I can put my hands on each and see how they both feel, and I will go from there.

Exco

FNX Tactical makes a great home defense gun and accessory host.

a0f0533df7cad5e8ae4e7e172770c26d.jpg

My bedside gun is a FNX 45. Had it for approx 6 years and thousands of rounds and not any problems. I also have a FNX 40 and a a FNS 40. Same as the FNX 45 ....no problems what so ever. All three are very easy to shoot and very accurate even in my hands.

I do not have a M&P 45, but do have a Shield 40 (pre 2.00) and two Shield 45s. All are exceptional guns and the 45s alternate as carry guns on a daily basis. Thousands of rounds through each and the 40 Shield had to have an Apex Duty/Carry trigger before it would shoot to my expectations.

If the M&P 45 is as good as the Shields, it would be a hard choice between the FNX and it.

But I do like my FN guns a lot. Will never get rid of them.

Haven't shot the M&P .45 but own the FNX Tactical. It is an excellent shooter, very manageable recoil and very accurate even for beginners.

I had a hard time finding a good holster for the Tactical but finally found a decent one.

I think it mostly always is personal preference, no? But if one considers the attributes, the M&P 2.0 is a bit cheaper than an FNX, but after that I would give the edge to the FNX. The FNX comes with three 15 round magazines (10 if you prefer or your state mandates) where the M&P has two 10 round mags. The FNX is hammer fired da/sa with fully ambidextrous controls with safety to carry cocked if you prefer and decocker. The M&P is striker fired. I own an FNX, and I find the da trigger pull to be smooth and the sa pull is light and crisp. In my observations when I checked out the M&P, I found the trigger to be about average for most striker fired guns, not as good as an XDM. The FNX has three palm swell selections vs the M&P having four; I really do not see this as a big difference at all. The M&P can be had with various safety/non safety variations, the FNX has a safety/decocker that is ambidextrous. The FNX safety is not flimsy or awkward positioned so as to be inadvertently engaged or disengaged, it is easy to operate but not obtrusive. I see both guns as easy to clean and maintain. The steel slide rails in the grip frame of the FNX are replaceable if you shoot enough to wear them out. The steel imbedded in the M&P frame seems like a good plan. The grip texture seemed good on both to me, but the FNX seems to fit my hands better, and I have small hands to wrap around those 15 round mags. All in all I like both guns, but having a preference for hammer fired guns I lean toward the FNX, and I appreciate three 15 round mags. I have little practice shooting M&P line, but I do like them; but I like the handling of the FNX more. It is fun to shoot, and quite accurate.

I have had my FNX-45 for several years now and love it! My only modification is adding TruGlo TFX Pro sights. It is a soft shooter and spot-on accurate.

One very critical factor for the shooter is preference of a striker-fired pistol vs a traditional double action/single action. The S&W is a striker pistol while the FN is TDA/SA. The S&W does not have a safety, while the FN does. If you like the general operation of a 1911, you will probably prefer the FN. If you fall into the Glock-type preference, the M&P will be more to your liking.

I've had both. Really wanted to like both, especially the FN. I had reliability issues with the FN and neither was accurate enough to suit me. I let them both go and kept a Glock 21. I like it much better than either. But if I were going back I'd choose the Smith over the FN.

What are your thoughts on police trades?

Police trade full size M&P .45's can be had for $250. Magazines are affordable too.

FN's pistol mags are always H&K-style pricey.

I own a FNX tactical and it is a lot of fun to shoot. My advice would be to consider a 1911 with an extended magazine for extra rounds. Since you suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome the FNX recoil is not snappy but the grip is very wide if you have small hands. Having to open your hand wider than normal would put pressure around the thumb joint area possibly causing more pain during recoil.

My FNX45T is just a superb functioning handgun. No need to spend the extra money on the "T" unless you plan on buying a supressor. The FN45's are such a smooth shooting platform for a .45. The FN45's have a large grip (double stack type) So if you're interested handle a FN first. I have longish fingers and the FN fits my hand perfect.

I also have an FNX 45 and it is a great shooter. I used it when I worked part time at a local gun shop and it now serves as my bed side gun. The price of the used cop trade in S&W's is hard to beat if your looking for a great deal so? I believe the big difference will be what type of action you want to go with, I know you said it does not matter, but to me I wanted a full size / duty size gun with a safety and enjoyed the feel of the action allot so I went with the FNX.

I agree with the 1911 comment. I used to not be interested in the platform until I spent a hour at the range with one in my hands. For what you plan on doing with it:
Range gun- definitely will be a pleasure to shoot. Very accurate, heavier frame so recoil is very mild. With the Caroal tunnel even a weaker grip will enjoy it
Bedside/home defense- wether you have it safety on, cocked and locked or lower the hammer and have to thumb it back... you will not have a sleepy discharge. 7-8 rounds with a spare mag will be plenty to deter a would be idiot in the night.

That said your FN or M&P will serve you well whichever you choose. Both have great track records with the FN edging out with its trigger.

I've got some experience with the FNX 45 and it's nice. It is remarkably light but huge, which makes it seem like it was designed for duty use. I prefer DA/SA for carry but if this is strictly a range gun, it's not much of an issue. One thing to consider is that because it is so light, you might feel the recoil more. (It is nicely balanced with a full magazine but feels like a toy when empty.)

I've only tried the M&P pistols in 9mm and .40 S&W. They were okay. How much different is the .45 version? There is a big size difference in the FNX line.

For range shooting, recommendations for the 1911 are worth considering. They are fun to shoot and a bit gentler due to the weight. Interestingly, the FNX safety system allows it to use either the "cocked and locked" of the 1911 or traditional DA/SA with decocker.

I have an FNX Tactical and have shot the M&p in 45. I honestly prefer my FNX, I even conceal carry it, and call it the mistress. It's on my side and has way more expensive tastes then my wife. I carry the monstrosity because I'm just comfortable and accurate with it. Mind you I'm 5'9 and weighed in 204. Not really a big dude. OWB with a flat mag plate i hide it well with an overshirt. I find the recoil a very interesting experience especially with feeling the slide go back into battery.
My only complaint is where the safety is, and how easy it is to engage, especially after shooting firearms with no safety.

Both are good options. Of the two, I prefer my FNX45 Tactical. The SA trigger is quite nice, and I shoot it very well.

Honestly though, I've been seeing LE trade in G21 Gen 4s for under $400 recently. And that would be a great option.

I don't own the FNX-45 tactical since I live in a state that won't let me put a suppressor on a pistol, but even without all the extras, the FNX-45 is my favorite pistol I own. Just a smooth shooting, accurate, reliable 45. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Back