Fn P90

Thanks for the responses guys.
I'm not that familiar with the P31. Never shot one. As to pre-ban, I was wondering if many quality sub-sized autos like the FN p90 are still available pre-ban make new or used? I wasn't too clear about the "pre-ban". I was thinking not only in terms of what the "Crime Bill" did to felonize the purchase of over 100 weapons by their classification, but also in terms of 10 mag cap.

Was also hoping that the ammo would be available to a class III holder who was a lowly civilian. OH well...:( :rolleyes: Guess we can give up on exercising our inalienable rights when it comes to this one.:(

Anybody got any ideas on what would be comparable and available to the citizens at large?

Gary,
Still alive and kicking! Sorry about your DPMS having to leave.

Equalizer,
The FN P90 never was pre-ban. They weren't brought out until after the 1986 ban. They weren't even out until after the semi-auto "assault weapons" ban IIRC, and there are no semi-auto versions of them around.
If you're looking for a substitute that mere civilians can own in the USofA the closest I can think of would be the Calico pistol. These came in.22lr and 9mm. This won't get you near the same ballistics as the 5.7 but you do get the full capacity magazine holding either 50 or 100 rounds:cool:
Use the search feature with 5.7 as the keyword. I somewhat recall several threads dealing with discussions of comparable rounds.

I got to demo one last May. It is a sweet shooter. Very minimal recoil. the selector switch was very different (if you are used to a H&K. During the demo, a round was fired and went through a kevlar helmet and vest and then into several layers of wood. But when it was fired at the wood from an angle, it didn't even penetrate the first layer of wood, but did not recochet (sp).

The FN Rep that brought the rifles, stated that St. Louis PD was purchasing these (semi-only) to replace their shotguns and that these would soon be in all of the squad cars.

I have heard that they have a flaw, that if/when a gun is dropped, the bullets in the mag will jumble up and get out of alignment, causing problems.

FWIW,

scottMO

The mag is the only problem that I've heard of. It also spits all the rounds out if you drop an un-emptied durring a reload, IIRC.

Are there rounds that will not penetrate that much? Could be dangerous in a populated area.

Took the one day armorer's course on the FN P90. It is remarkably simple. Field strip begins with removal of the magazine. The magazine disassembles quite easily. Depress the floorplate release and slide the floorplate off. The spring and follower comes out along with two rollers. The magazine does not have any fancy mechanism to cause the bullets to turn perpendicular for feeding. Rather, it's through channels moulded into the plastic that does this. Nothing to break!

Once the magazine is removed, push the huge takedown button that is found on the receiver. This allows the receiver mechanism to be pushed forward and out of the plastic frame. Separate the moving pats group (bolt group) from the barrel/optical sight group. Disassembly of the latter requires an open ended wrench to remove the muzzle break. This allows the barrel to be pushed back slightly and usncrewed clockwise. The barrel is then withdrawn from the rear and the barrel spring pulled out from an opening on the top of the receiver. The barrel lock (which serves the dual purpose of securing the receiver to the plastic frame) may now be removed along with its spring. Charging handle slips off next.

Disassembly of the moving parts group is easy. Simply use a knife to remove the snap rings that are attached to the end of each of the dual guide rods. New snap rings are required for reassembly. The bolt slips off anda roll pin punch is required for further disassembly.

The hammer group comes out from the rear of the stock. The buttplate slides up for removal and exposes the hammer group. There's a simple lever on the hammer group that is thrown up and allows the hammer group to be withdrawn en-bloc. The trigger may be removed and requires a paperclip or screwdriver. After the trigger comes out, the operating rod (connects the trigger to the hammer group comes out next.

Won't go into further details (should have pictures) but the entire thing is so simple it's clever.

One nifty feature I didn't notice until the class is that the gun features back-up iron sights. On both sides of the rail that protects the optical group, there are crude iron sights that allows the user (right or left handed) to sight the weapon and fire.

Back