FN Browning 1922

Drachenstein-
I would love to be wrong.
Just because FN produced factory plated guns does not mean yours is one of them.
If you post clear closeups, any one of us can tell if the plating job is factory.
In the fuxxy pic you have provided, the plating appears to be a "bumper shop" job.
Also, Franzite stocks have ribs moulded in the hollow underside. Factory grips are solid.

FN, as a rule, did not nickel plate moving parts such as the safety and trigger. Here is an FN 1900 that I own. Notice the safety, trigger and a couple of screws are blued. Anthony Vanderlinden, a noted expert on FN Browning pistols, confirmed this FN 1900 is factory plated. Anthony is one of the few people FN has ever allowed access to their files. I have seen another pistol just like yours for sale at a gun show. I know from first hand experience that the seller was a snake oil salesman. When I asked Anthony about the pistol I saw that resembles yours, he told me that he has seen no evidence that FN ever produced any model 1922 pistols with a Nickel finish. He also stated the white plastic grip panels were aftermarket. I believe I saw the very same pistol for sale later in a gun shop in Pocatello, Idaho.

@ Bill The plating is pretty good though it is beginning to show its age, it's crisp. I've done quite a bit of plating in my time as well, though most nickel as a pre for gold. The pictures still elude me as it is a very gloss shine - allot of reflection. I'm taking the pictures in the studio - daylight light lights.
IMG_2172.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG

IMG_2167.JPG

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2149.JPG

The grips are marked FN-38 Browning, then a franzite logo. What are the postwar black grips made from? What markings do they have?

BTW, nice engraving, always love good work. A guy named Santi tried to teach me it until the #52 graver went into that space between the thumb and forefinger. I stick to wax, it carves easier.

@ Darwin You have a SME that says they didn't, I have one that says they did and shows a picture of it. Your SME states he has seen no evidence that they nickel plated any 1922, my responce is; Has he looked? I was hoping somebody that has researched this may have had a definative answer, or be a member of Browning Collectors Association where they might be able to find out. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is post war, therefore records do exist. Maybe the Lugers have spoiled me with the amount of information available.

Frank DeRosa
www.dragonsjewels.com

Last edited:
Well, we know that Franzite didn't make grips for FN or Browning.
I'll try to enlarge and sharpen your pictures and look at them. It's not so much the plating, but the metal finish before plating.

Your pictures are still too bad to say for sure. Try a macro camera setting, and let the gun fill the entire viewfinder.
So far, it looks as if sharp edges were rolled when polishing, and the plating was done over some pitting or surface imperfections. FN would not have done this.

Last edited:
Having collected 1922's for over 40 years, I have only seen 3 that I considered "factory" nickeled. In every case, they were .380s of no particular contract, and the triggers, thumb safeties and grips screws were NOT plated.

The grips I was referring to were those illustrated in the link provided in your post. It was pretty obvious the molded checkering was not precise, and I'd bet my bottom dollar that they were Franzites as are yours. Franzite made replacment grips from the 50's until they went out of business.

FN grips were made from horn, hard rubber and, finally, plastic.

Currently, I have lost interest in my 1922 collecting and am dumping them all.

Really? My kid's looking for one in .32, what're you asking?

BTW, this one is .380,,,,,, I prefer shooting it in .32 cal though. In .380 it reminds me of the Polish P64 - the round's a bit much for it.

LOL!! Mine are all pretty much collectibles. Some I had listed by a friend on Gunbroker, and others I am disposing of myself.

What do you want? Toulouse, France Municipal Police issue, Dutch national guard, Turkish, Greek Army, Danish, what???:D

Back