flintlock pistol

Theodore1

I have a friend that is on his way to the other side. He has no family, only good friends. He has given me his collection of many unique firearms. This is one of the flintlocks. Was wondering if anyone can help identify.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
have you tried resizing it?
I personally have an account with photobucket.com and just upload to them and imbed the direct link URL with the insert image tool.
without a picture it's very hard to offer any advice or input.

if the pictures posted on the other sights just post the address to your theads there, that way we can at least navigate around to being able to see them.

Does this work?
037_zps38ae5f9a.jpg

034_zps013d3a37.jpg

033_zps5f66c9de.jpg

031_zpsc4edb370.jpg

20130317_100649_zps4f78b196.jpg

20130317_095711_zps0456ed3a.jpg

Last edited:
it's an interesting piece for sure, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it might be french. have to taken the barrel out of the frame. usually the underside of the barrel has a set of proofs stamped underneath to show it was test fired or even who made it. are there any markings stamped or etched into the metal that's visable?

The frizzen spring is a replacement (it extends outside the lockplate, which an original would not do), and the ramrod has either been cut or is a replacement.

Other than that, it appears to be in good condition. IMHO, it is English, c.1750.

Hi, Madcratebuilder,

To post pictures here they need only to be on your computer (or on a device like a digital camera or card reader attached to your computer). Click on MANAGE ATTACHMENTS, then on BROWSE, then on your PICTURES folder; find the picture you want and click on it to open and attach it here.

Jim

James K. You state The frizzen spring is a replacement (it extends outside the lockplate, which an original would not do)
Check out these, they are very... closeAntique Pistols - collection - BOLK ANTIQUES European Clocks ...
Click photo for more details ... A superb pair of Liege Flintlock Pistols by
THIERMAY a LIEGE, circa 1730, caliber 16 mm, length 49 cm, in mint condition.
Price on ...
www.bolk-antiques.nl/index.cfm?page=collection&cat=1209&subcat=2186&catname=Antique Pistols in design

Question, are these completely taken apart, meticulously cleaned up and reassembled to look this good?

The springs will sometimes go to the edge of the lockplate, but the one on your gun appears to extend well beyond the edge, and I don't think a quality maker would do that. Plus the spring looks newer than the rest of the lock. I do think the pistol is of reasonable quality and wonder if you found any evidence of a maker's name.

Since I don't see any sign of English proof marks, I will take back my opinion on it being English. But it is not some repro or mid-east "tourist gun"; it was definitely made for use.

The marking on the barrel means nothing to me; let's see if someone else can help.

Jim

Frizzen does not seem to be much different in size to lock compared to the ones in the Bolk-Antiques sight. Trigger guard and side plate are a bit similar to the pistols on their sight also.
20130324_214853_zpsae6e350a.jpg

20130324_214806_zps3dbb2c7b.jpg

652278_detail8_max.jpg
[/IMG]
652278_detail5_max.jpg

652278_detail9_max.jpg

Sorry if I mislead you Noel. I just posted the URL pic's to show similarities of the two. Should have explained better in my post.
New to the Forum, hopefully a fast learner.

It might help to bring out the markings on the lockplate if you take a white crayon and lightly rub it over the etched area; that'll fill in the etchings, and make it easier to read.

Cavalier
campier
My final answer is cambier. That is the name of an early cannon maker in Europe. maybe it is a commemorative edition. :)

Last edited:
I took the picture through a jewelers loop. There is something else just below the Cambier engraving. Will try white crayon and different lighting and hopefully figure it out. Will also do some research on Cambier....
Will post pic's if so.
Thanks SDC & John Williamson

Back