flash!!! World Shoot shooter shot his foot!

fast draw is good but FAST REHOLSTER is the bad one causing this UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE,
just my opinion...what do ya think?

TNX.

Be it: we are on a fastdraw and fast reholster we should be extra careful. Everyone is correct that the accident is caused by unawareness that our trigger finger is on the trigger when not yet pointing at target.

To my mind, it follows that in fastdraw there is simultaneous fast reholstering if we do successive shots in practicing "double tap - reholster, or one shot - reholster" as one of IPSC stages.

Thanks.

I had AD once, except it was intentional, I had cleaned my 1911 and was dry firing it (Long ago when I had no clue) after I had cleaned and assembled it saw it on desk later and thought just one more dry fire, wasnt quite dry, 230gr FMJ went through closet door first dry wall and second dry wall and shattered the tile in the shower. The weird thing about the shot was I didn't register the sound, i first noticed the hole in the closet.(good thing mom wasn't in the shower I would still be hearing about it 12 years later. It did not enter shower it was resting on 2x4 fire block.

In todays climate I would state it was not my fault, hell I was shooting off hand and that evil gun must have loaded itself. Not the best way to check if load will penetrate wall. I am lucky I didnt aim at aquarium or I could comment about salt spray test.

Always check chamber, even if you "KNOW" it is empty, I have found a few sleeping in the 1911 that were not supposed to be there since this incident, funny thing is that it has never occured with any of my other guns?
This was entirely my fault and I am luck no one was hurt or killed.

If I am on the firing range on my personal practice, after my shooting and decided to reholster my pistol, I always racked & click the trigger 4 times maximum, to be sure that it will eject and fired the bullets on the barrel if there is any. Not only once as taught by range officer.

While on the range engaging a target and it so happened that I emptied one magazine and decided to have another stage - I do the same thing rack my pistol 4x to have a fresh chamber and a fresh start. On this way I can avoid or reduced the possibility of negligence on my part.

I've heard many incident that many are so sure that there is no bullets on their gun and how come it did fire on that particular event. This is another story again which many cannot accept it.

Thanks

One of the reasons I prefer to carry my 1911s (rather than my Glock) is
the reassuring feeling I get (hopefully automatically; hopefully every time)
when my thumb is under the safety and pushing up - hard! Knowing how
it “should” feel reassures me (even in the dark) that the safety is on.

George,
Thanks for the comment about the “idiot button”. I’d never heard that
before but I will include that (consciously and repetitiously) in my personal
training.
- Sights on target = finger on trigger.
- Sights NOT on target = finger on “idiot button”

Thank you!

-------
In 1969 a local (military) pistol team was short a member due to
reassignments and illness of personnel. They needed “any warm body” to
join the team to have enough members to compete. I jumped at the
chance to apply.

As an inexperienced pistol shooter, I was treated with obvious disdain
when I interviewed for the opening. I learned I was the only applicant (!)
so I figured I had a good chance to “join the team” of experts.

The interview went poorly because it consisted of the interviewer
“impressing” me with his vast knowledge and expertise and asked nothing
about my background, desire to join the team, or even willingness to
practice. After the interview, the “expert” left the room and I was left
sitting in front of his desk for fifteen minutes or so.

Suddenly the door flew open and a man with gun-related patches all over
his (civilian) jacket burst into the room. Apparently startled at my
presence, he asked, “Who are YOU?” I explained why I was there.

He immediately seemed disinterested in me but walked to the desk, picked
up a 1911 laying there, thumbed back the hammer, hit the “dueling”
position with the pistol pointed at the window and pulled the trigger.

I nearly crapped! “You didn’t even clear it!”

With great disdain he explained condescendingly, “Who in the h... would
leave a loaded gun laying on a desk?” He continued his pompous belittling
as I got up, left the room, and (in fear of some beloved body parts) kissed
my chance of learning from these “experts” good-bye!
-------

Later, a former Marine and retired Texas Ranger trained me on the issues I
had not learned from other sources.
-------

My reason for this lengthy story is only to confirm what we already know.
For many “experts” familiarity DOES breed contempt. I try to remember
the old saw, “There’s only two kinds of shooters. Those who have had an
accidental discharge and those who will.”

I also try to remember my Dad’s comment, “If you can see the muzzle of
the other guy’s gun, he’s either trying to kill you or will kill you by
accident!” I’ve lost some friends because of that phrase - but, at the
moment, I have no “non-factory” holes in me.

Well, two maybe, but that’s a different story.

Mr. Dennis, you have mentioned a sentence that I remembered most, that you've lost some friends because of your dad's comment".

I do the same thing, I cut friendly relations or completely never associates with people who play or jokingly aim their pistols at me. I am thankful also that my gun club I belong is so civil.

In some past gatherings (like a party where some cops friends I had, once they feel the spirit of wine) there will be an instant target range to be put up in the vicinity and some will show the accuracy of their guns or their shooting technique.

On my college days, there is one cop living on the same dormitory I am staying. He is a Good Cop and friendly to everybody. Only, if he is on his off-day he enjoy few bottle of wine. And those bottles will be his target thereafter at my dormitories back-lawn. I am his favorite buddy in the dorm, and it gives me a creepy feeling every time he asked me to sit with him because I have the notion that he might be accidentally point the gun at me. Thanks God there is no bad incident happened within one yr of staying in that dormitory.

Just to share a precautions story.

Thanks

Not so very long ago, I was firing a young neophyte shooter friend's .45 carbine. He had a box of factory .45 Colt, and we were at 50 yards, and he said, after having fired a group offhand at a paper plate target, "Care to try it?"

"Sure," I responded. "But that ammo's expensive [$18/box!!!]; just put in 5 to give me an idea of the trigger."

Friends and neighbors, I watched him rack it fast to clear it, then carefully load in 5 rounds in the magazine. I then took receipt of this pretty little '94 Trapper, and put a nice 5-shot group into a paper plate. Having automatically levered it after having fired the 5th shot, I cleared it for him before handing it to him, the "fast way." I pointed the rifle downrange, and pulled the trigger.

"Hope that 6th one doesn't spoil your group," my friend said. All four of our brows were raised. I had "seen" him clear it. Watched the empty fly out, and didn't think I saw a live one chambered. Then, when he handed it to me, I found a round in the chamber, and assumed that he or I had levered it into the chamber (we were talking, so that I fired the group a minute or so after he loaded it.). So I had five in the magazine, one in the chamber. Thought I had five in all.

Violated Rule #1. Didn't violate the other rules, though, and I did "check" it. Shot went downrange, hit the backstop, and all's well that ends well. Follow any one of the Four Rules, and everything will probably turn out for the best. Correllary to the Four Rules is, though: "PAY ATTENTION!"

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited October 31, 1999).]

Yep it's bad news that he shot himself in the foot. But then there's good news at least he wasn't using a thunderwear holster.

Back