FL gun law upheld by courts

If the business owner actually conditions parking on a contract to allow searches, that would be derived from, but still separate from, property rights.

If the parking lot is owned by a 3rd party that requires voluntary searches as part of its contract, then the law is thwarted.

I don't understand what the confusion is on this point. Its a contractual obligation on the part of the person renting the parking space.

I don't understand what the confusion is on this point. Its a contractual obligation on the part of the person renting the parking space.
Perhaps you're confused because most employees don't rent parking spaces from the lot owner and therefore incur no contractual obligation as a result.

No, I realize that most dont rent parking spaces. But if they did, any obligations the renter had (such as submitting to searches) would be based on the lease agreement (contract) and not property rights.

Agreed.

The property rights is a smokescreen. Certainly a very effective smokescreen, but still nothing more than that.

In TX the business associations are so confident that they have not posed this as a property rights issue but are rather coming straight out and saying that it's an employer's right to fire an employee for violating company policy and there shouldn't be a law to restrict that right.

I guess the FL businesses didn't think they could pull that off so they tried to obfuscate the situation by claiming it's a property rights issue.

If the parking lot is owned by a 3rd party that requires voluntary searches as part of its contract, then the law is thwarted.

The idea of a business creating a surrogate entity to do what the business can't do will not fly. Courts have a nasty habit of looking through a veneer of formalities to see the underlying substance.

Wrong. You and I could enter into an agreement by which I would have the right to search your vehicle even if you never park it on my property. All it would take is for me to have some means of convincing you to enter the agreement.

Sure you could, but thats not the point. The issue here is what is on the property. Thats the touchstone. If I didn't sign you contract, you couldn't do anything to me. However without the contract, I can still deny you entry onto my property, or kick you out once you're there.

For example, if you were my employee I could tell you that you would be fired if you failed to enter the agreement. Or, perhaps if I made that agreement a condition of loaning you the money to purchase the vehicle. The issue is NOT private property, the issue is only that I have some means of convincing you to enter into the agreement. In this case the means of convincing the person to agree is the threat of termination.

It's NOT about private property, it's about control.

If it wasn't private property then there would be no control. Thats what you seem to be missing.

Wrong and wrong. They're not trying to enforce conditions of entry--ANYONE can enter. They're not trying to exclude guns from the lot. TX law provides a means to prevent CHL holders from carrying into a parking lot and they're not doing it. This is not about excluding guns, it's not about their property rights, it's about them enforcing a company POLICY against employees.

More semantics. You can phrase it any way you like, but the bottom line is that they are excluding firearms from their property because of the extreme liability they pose.

There is no bus. The only carpool would be with another employee--still no way to carry to and from. My job is an 80 mile round trip from my home--turning it into TWO 80 mile round trips for my spouse is not an option.

So what? Its not the problem of the business that you decided to live so far away. That was your choice and it should have been painfully obvious that such a distance would pose a variety of problems, not just with firearms.

But all of that is still missing the point to which you tacitly agree. This policy affects me from the time I walk out my door--whether it forces me to leave my firearm at home or whether it forces me to try to arrange some means of alternate transportation--the alternative you suggest. It affects me LONG before I ever set foot on company property. AGAIN, NOT about property--about control.

Of course the policy affects you. Again, this goes back to the general belief you seem to have that you should be able to go through life as slick as you please with no bumps or detours. Thats not realistic, nor does the law require it.

You have several alternatives available to you. If you decide that its not worth the hassle, thats fine. If you decide it is, thats fine too. The choice is yours.

Exclusion is not equivalent to control, it is one method of control. The difference is NOT moot. An exclusion policy would prevent me from entering with a gun. There is no such attempt being made nor is there any attempt to prevent non-employees from entering with handguns even though TX law provides a method for doing so.

First, this isn't TX. Second, this is about exclusion. Companies don't want guns on their property because it increases their liability. Its that simple.

And again, whether the business decides to have one standard for customers and one for employees makes no difference. They don't waive their rights because they don't require customers not to have firearms.

No, that is not the issue, and if you read Heller, you would see that Scalia and the majority of the SCOTUS disagree with you. It's not enough for alternatives to exist if those alternatives are not effective, reasonable, commonly available and commonly used.

Actually the standard is whether the alternatives are so restricted as to render them useless. In an overwhelming majority of these cases parking off site is going to solve the problem, so the law is satisfied.

The issue is that the LEGAL contents of my private property are nobody's business but mine.

So I can bring a bag of dope onto your property and as long as it stays in my pocket, its none of your business.

More to the point it's contradictory and hypocritical for someone to violate my private property rights in the name of property rights.

No one is violating your property rights. I haven't said that employers should be able to search your car without your consent. However what I have said is that they reserve the right to kick you off their property if they believe you have a firearm.

In TX, much of the castle doctrine extends to vehicles. If that's not saying that a vehicle is an extension of the home I don't know what is.

And? Is the castle doctrine the end all and be all of property characterization? The law makes a massive distinction between real property and personal property. The law also makes a massive distinction between cars and homes in regards to the 4th amendment which is most relevant here.

If simply finding another job is not an issue then it's not reasonable to argue against the law because the only thing the law does is take employers right to force employees to find another job if they violate this particular policy.

Therefore telling someone to just find another job misses the whole point. If that were a solution then no one would have cared about the situation that led to the law being passed.

Because something is an inconvenience does not mean it is not an alternative. I've no doubt that people wouldn't want to go through the hassle of finding other work. The law doesn't guarantee that you won't face a hassle, nor has it ever.

The facts contradict that statement.

Then why are the courts framing this as a property rights issue?

This is about controlling employees even while they're OFF company property commuting to and from work.
This is about controlling employees' private property and the legal contents of their private property.
This is about controlling the contents of ONLY employees' vehicles, not the contents of all vehicles on the lot.

The common theme is NOT property rights, the common theme is control of employees.

Again, because you say it doesn't make it so. First, there is nothing in any of these agreements that regulates what employees do off company property. The tangential effects that you are talking about can be easily remedied for most people. Because you need to make other arrangements for your firearm doesn't mean that a property owner is regulating your conduct outside of work.

Second, because your firearm is legally owned and legally in your vehicle does not change or somehow mitigate the fact that you have brought a prohibited item onto someone elses property. You can wrap it up in as many layers of your property as you like but that doesn't change this. Furthermore, the fact that it is legal is of no consequence either. Excluding things from your property has nothing to do with whether they are legal or not.

Finally, you seem to think that because the business only does this with its employees that it somehow changes the nature of the right. Thats just ridiculous. I can be as arbitrary with my rights as I wish. This doesn't limit them or dimish them in the least.

OR, do you have an example of a case where a parking lot owner tried to exclude a non-employee from his lot because the car contained a gun?

Not off hand, but then again I haven't looked.

Woops! The Oklahoma court's decision was based on compliance with OSHA regulations - not property rights. Alas, I have not yet seen the Florida decision.

Then you would be wrong. While the court made the decision based on OSHA, they clearly stated that the business would have had a winning property right argument. It failed only because they failed to put on any evidence of one element. The court even went a step further to say that the evidence required didn't need to be overwhelming or even substantial. Merely pointing to a general harm would have sufficed.

Sure you could, but thats not the point. The issue here is what is on the property. Thats the touchstone. If I didn't sign you contract, you couldn't do anything to me. However without the contract, I can still deny you entry onto my property, or kick you out once you're there.
I specifically said that this hypothetical agreement would give me the right to search your vehicle even if you never parked on my property and you agreed that it would. If you've never put the car on my property then how could "what is on the property" possibly be the issue?

The point is a parking lot owner doesn't have the right to search vehicles in the absence of an agreement. There must be an agreement in place to allow him to search.

Furthermore a person who legally coerces another to enter into an agreement that allows him to search the other's vehicle at will, will have the right to search that vehicle regardless of where it is. Again the agreement is the key.

No matter how you look at this the agreement is what makes the policy enactment and enforcement possible. There MUST be an agreement between the two parties before one private party can search another's vehicle and that is what sets up the scenario we're discussing. Property rights don't enter into it.

Look at it this way. Let's say I worked for a company that did not own a parking lot and yet, as a condition of employment requires that I must submit to having my vehicle searched at random. They could show up at my house and search my vehicle and if I refused they could fire me. They could walk across the street and search my vehicle. Again, if I refused they could fire me. Now, where do property rights come into the situation? The fact is that they can, if they choose, enact and enforce such an agreement and fire me if I refuse to agree or comply. REGARDLESS OF WHERE I PARK.

IF they were truly excluding guns from their parking lots then they could pretend that this is about keeping their facility gun free. BUT THEY DON'T TRY TO EXCLUDE GUNS, they only enforce their policy against employees.

Any way you cut this, the idea that this revolves around property rights leads to contradictions.
If it wasn't private property then there would be no control.
If you're fired, you're fired, that's what you seem to be missing. The only reason they enforce the policy on company property is because that's how it's written. There's nothing special about their parking lot that makes it possible for them to search my vehicle, they can search my vehicle anywhere the policy wording allows because if I say no they'll fire me. The agreement wording and their ability to wield a sufficient penalty is what creates their right to search, not the location of my vehicle.
You can phrase it any way you like, but the bottom line is that they are excluding firearms from their property because of the extreme liability they pose.
Absolutely incorrect!

As already pointed out multiple times, they are not truly excluding firearms from their property, they are trying to maintain the right to search employee vehicles (ONLY employee vehicles) at will. They have made no attempt to create a firearms free zone because there is no attempt to exclude firearms in vehicles not owned by employees--EVEN THOUGH TX law contains provisions for doing so.

But more importantly, the TX law proposed specifically stated that the employer COULD NOT BE HELD LIABLE for issues resulting from employee firearms in private vehicles. Yet the companies STILL fought the law and defeated it. The issue was CLEARLY not liability--that had been taken out of consideration and the opposition continued unabated. It's about control.
So what? Its not the problem of the business that you decided to live so far away. That was your choice and it should have been painfully obvious that such a distance would pose a variety of problems, not just with firearms.
Of course the policy affects you.
Still missing the point. And it's pretty obvious that now it's intentional.

Of course it affects me, what a silly comment. It's not THAT it affects me or how far away I live from the company. The point is WHEN it affects me. You claim that this is about the company controlling its property but this policy affects me before I ever set foot on company property and after I leave the company premises. It even affects me while I'm on my own property. AGAIN, it's NOT about property--it's about control.
Actually the standard is whether the alternatives are so restricted as to render them useless. In an overwhelming majority of these cases parking off site is going to solve the problem, so the law is satisfied.
Wrong, it's not enough that the problem is solved for the majority, rights are rights, even when only a minority is affected. What percentage of the U.S. population resides in DC? What if the SCOTUS had said to Heller. Well, the overwhelming majority of Americans can own handguns so the law is satisfied. Talk about grasping at straws...
So I can bring a bag of dope onto your property and as long as it stays in my pocket, its none of your business.
Did you, perhaps, note that the sentence you quoted from my post included, in ALL CAPS the word "legal"? Do you really equate drug possession with legally carrying a firearm in one's vehicle? Come on...
No one is violating your property rights. I haven't said that employers should be able to search your car without your consent.
The idea that my compliance is voluntary is flawed. It discounts/ignores the negative incentive of termination used to force compliance and is simply another way to imply that changing jobs is trivial and not worthy of consideration. I've already addressed that argument several times.
And? Is the castle doctrine the end all and be all of property characterization?
You said that it was not true that a vehicle can be legally considered an extension of the home. I proved it was considered an extension of the home for some legal purposes. I never said anything about "end all"s and "be all"s, if anyone was making sweeping statements, it was your categorical statement that my comment was "not accurate at all".

I'll give you a debating tip for free. If you make a sweeping statement in a debate it's only necessary for your opponent to provide a single counterexample to prove it is false. Of course, on the other hand, carefully tempered statements don't provide the same level of dramatic effect...

I guess it comes down to whether you're more concerned with accuracy or dramatic effect.
Because something is an inconvenience does not mean it is not an alternative. I've no doubt that people wouldn't want to go through the hassle of finding other work.
That does not address the gist of my comments, again it's obviously intentional. I never said it wasn't an alternative, I said it wasn't a SOLUTION.

That's not even debatable. If it were a solution then there would have been no law passed and we wouldn't be having this debate.
First, there is nothing in any of these agreements that regulates what employees do off company property. The tangential effects that you are talking about can be easily remedied for most people. Because you need to make other arrangements outside of work for your firearm doesn't mean that a property owner is regulating your conduct outside of work.
I inserted the clause outside of work to point out the hidden contradiction in your statement.

Clearly the idea that MOST people can remedy the tangential effects does not mean they don't exist. And clearly, forcing a person to make other arrangements for their firearms (off company property during their commute) does, in fact, regulate conduct outside of work. Even if that regulation is simply forcing a person to make alternative commute arrangements it is STILL regulating conduct outside of work.

I'm sorry, but your "debating" techniques leave something to be desired. There's little point in my spending time to refute your "arguments" if you believe that creating strawmen, deliberately ignoring clear points, and carefully constructing sentences to try to hide contradictions constitute a constructive debate.

Those "strategies" make it painfully obvious that you are not interested in debate as a method for discovering or disclosing truth and therefore it's a waste of time for me to continue this exchange.

My points are clear, accurate and stand as made. I've repeated and restated them sufficient times that there should be no issue with understanding them. That's good enough for me.

You have fun now. ;)

Collective protest? Get the community on your side? Write editorials? Try to get your elected officials replaced? Work for someone else?

Why would you want to work for someone who thought no more of your rights than to abuse them?

I first remember hearing about this issue (as it specifically related to Disneyworld) quite some time ago (I want to say at least a couple years ago). Editorials were written, attempts were made at publicity, and I'm sure at least a few people (including myself) let Disney know they'd not frequent their business over this issue.

It didn't change.

The problem with "olol collective protest" is that it often only works if you're in a majority. Considering that CHL holders are most definitely a minority (and a relatively small one at that) it's unsurprising that it took government intervention to affect this issue.

Because something is an inconvenience does not mean it is not an alternative. I've no doubt that people wouldn't want to go through the hassle of finding other work.

Just because something is an alternative doesn't make it in any way feasible. For a significant number of affected employees, "inconvenient" doesn't begin to describe their other options.

The point is a parking lot owner doesn't have the right to search vehicles in the absence of an agreement. There must be an agreement in place to allow him to search.

Agreed. But this is irrelevant for the purposes of excluding an item from your property. It addresses the enforcability aspect.

No matter how you look at this the agreement is what makes the policy enactment and enforcement possible. There MUST be an agreement between the two parties before one private party can search another's vehicle and that is what sets up the scenario we're discussing. Property rights don't enter into it.

Still agreed, but in order for your argument to hold, a search must be somehow required for the property owner to assert his rights. Its not. A property owner isn't a cop. He doesn't need PC or anything to send you packing. If you are on my property and there is no agreement, I ask to search because I think you may have a weapon in your car, and you refuse, I can boot you. Its that simple.

Look at it this way. Let's say I worked for a company that did not own a parking lot and yet, as a condition of employment requires that I must submit to having my vehicle searched at random. They could show up at my house and search my vehicle and if I refused they could fire me. They could walk across the street and search my vehicle. Again, if I refused they could fire me. Now, where do property rights come into the situation? The fact is that they can, if they choose, enact and enforce such an agreement and fire me if I refuse to agree or comply. REGARDLESS OF WHERE I PARK.

But thats purely contractual. If you don't like it then don't sign the contract. The law at issue here does not do this so its a moot point.

IF they were truly excluding guns from their parking lots then they could pretend that this is about keeping their facility gun free. BUT THEY DON'T TRY TO EXCLUDE GUNS, they only enforce their policy against employees.

And you don't think that this has anything to do with the fact that its easier to enforce these restrictions against employees?

Any way you cut this, the idea that this revolves around property rights leads to contradictions.

No it doesn't. Enforcing a contract makes things nice and simple. There will be a specific clause stating specific rights that you will have agreed to. Thats much more cut and dry than asserting property rights as a justification. However because a business decides to rely on a contractual claim, or bootstrap by asserting both does not diminish the property rights they have.

If you're fired, you're fired, that's what you seem to be missing. The only reason they enforce the policy on company property is because that's how it's written. There's nothing special about their parking lot that makes it possible for them to search my vehicle, they can search my vehicle anywhere the policy wording allows because if I say no they'll fire me. The agreement wording and their ability to wield a sufficient penalty is what creates their right to search, not the location of my vehicle.

You seem to be fixated on this right to search. Quite franky I could care less about it. The issue here is the right to exclude and as I made clear, they don't need to search anything to exercize this.

As already pointed out multiple times, they are not truly excluding firearms from their property, they are trying to maintain the right to search employee vehicles (ONLY employee vehicles) at will. They have made no attempt to create a firearms free zone because there is no attempt to exclude firearms in vehicles not owned by employees--EVEN THOUGH TX law contains provisions for doing so.

Again, I don't care whether they have a right to search or not. I believe in the freedom to contract. If you don't like it then don't sign on the dotted line. If that is their motivation (some sinister plot to persecute employees) then so be it. However I find it very doubtful that this is the case.

What I find much more likely is that they have these policies because their legal department has told them that to not do so would put them at risk because they are much more susceptible to the actions of one of their employees than they would be a customer. That plus the inherent difficulty of controlling a third party is why the employees are the ones having to bend.

But more importantly, the TX law proposed specifically stated that the employer COULD NOT BE HELD LIABLE for issues resulting from employee firearms in private vehicles. Yet the companies STILL fought the law and defeated it. The issue was CLEARLY not liability--that had been taken out of consideration and the opposition continued unabated. It's about control.

So what? Because the law says so doesn't mean that insurance companies are going to care. In most cases insurance is going to require a no weapons policy of some sort or else they won't provide coverage or will do so at a rate that is so high that it has the same practical effect.

Of course it affects me, what a silly comment. It's not THAT it affects me or how far away I live from the company. The point is WHEN it affects me. You claim that this is about the company controlling its property but this policy affects me before I ever set foot on company property and after I leave the company premises. It even affects me while I'm on my own property. AGAIN, it's NOT about property--it's about control.

Thats not how the legal analysis works. Everything affects everyone. The question is whether or not it effects you to the extent to where you lose your right. If you are going to be honest here, that answer is no.

Wrong, it's not enough that the problem is solved for the majority, rights are rights, even when only a minority is affected. What percentage of the U.S. population resides in DC? What if the SCOTUS had said to Heller. Well, the overwhelming majority of Americans can own handguns so the law is satisfied. Talk about grasping at straws...

:rolleyes: DC is a government. State action infringing on one of your rights is not the same as a private company doing so. Therefore your comparison is completely wrong. The standard is exactly as I said. Because you are inconvenienced in some way doesn't mean that you've lost your right. Especially when this convenience is because of someone elses rights.

Did you, perhaps, note that the sentence you quoted from my post included, in ALL CAPS the word "legal"? Do you really equate drug possession with legally carrying a firearm in one's vehicle? Come on...

You just dodged the question. Insert any kind of object you like as long as you don't want it on your property. Does the fact that I hide it from your view 1) change the fact that its on your property and 2) somehow diminsh your right to have me not bring it into your property or send me packing if I refuse to do so.

The idea that my compliance is voluntary is flawed. It discounts/ignores the negative incentive of termination used to force compliance and is simply another way to imply that changing jobs is trivial and not worthy of consideration. I've already addressed that argument several times.

Your compliance is voluntary. The law presumes this unless you can show that you were either incompetent to enter into the agreement because of some physical or mental condition, you were temporarily impaired, or you agreed under duress.

Since the consent to search was given at the time you were hired, none of these things are present. Therefore you did voluntarily consent.

You said that it was not true that a vehicle can be legally considered an extension of the home. I proved it was considered an extension of the home for some legal purposes. I never said anything about "end all"s and "be all"s, if anyone was making sweeping statements, it was your categorical statement that my comment was "not accurate at all".

No, you said, "for many purposes they are considered to be an extension of the home". Assuming that I agree that the castle doctrine is an exemplar of a 'home' characterization, this is one example. "Many" means several, certianly more than one.

I'll give you a debating tip for free. If you make a sweeping statement in a debate it's only necessary for your opponent to provide a single counterexample to prove it is false.

Kind of like I just did?

That does not address the gist of my comments, again it's obviously intentional. I never said it wasn't an alternative, I said it wasn't a SOLUTION.

That's not even debatable. If it were a solution then there would have been no law passed and we wouldn't be having this debate

But the law doesn't require that there be a solution. Thats your problem. You are arguing from a false premise.

I inserted the clause outside of work to point out the hidden contradiction in your statement.

There is no contradiction. A dress code affects me outside of work. Having a company car affects me outside of work. Hell, work affects me outside of work. Any time something is prohibited in a certian area its going to affect you in other areas. This isn't the issue.

The issue is whether the property owner has the right to prohibit the item from its property. The answer is yes. If this amounts to someone peeing in your corn flakes, thats your problem.

Clearly the idea that MOST people can remedy the tangential effects does not mean they don't exist. And clearly, forcing a person to make other arrangements for their firearms (off company property during their commute) does, in fact, regulate conduct outside of work. Even if that regulation is simply forcing a person to make alternative commute arrangements it is STILL regulating conduct outside of work.

No it doesn't. Affecting something and regulating something are NOT the same thing. In order to be regulating something, the company would have to prohibit conduct outside work. They don't. Because you have to make arrangements to comply with the regulations of your business does not mean they are regulating your conduct off the job.

I'm sorry, but your "debating" techniques leave something to be desired. There's little point in my spending time to refute your "arguments" if you believe that creating strawmen, deliberately ignoring clear points, and carefully constructing sentences to try to hide contradictions constitute a constructive debate.

Those "strategies" make it painfully obvious that you are not interested in debate as a method for discovering or disclosing truth and therefore it's a waste of time for me to continue this exchange.

My points are clear, accurate and stand as made. I've repeated and restated them sufficient times that there should be no issue with understanding them. That's good enough for me.

You have fun now.

The rest of this crap is just a subtle ad hominem which actually kind of disappoints me as I expect more from a staff member. I could have easily started with the whole " I have a JD and you don't" schtick but I haven't because its petty, unproductive and presumptuous. Much like "offering" debating tips to someone who you have never met. Certianly someone who practices law for a living.

That aside, I will say this much. 90% or your arguments that you've made here have been made contrary to what the law requires. For example, you conclude that because some policy has an effect on you outside of work that it is regulatory. Thats simply not true.

If I have dismissed your statements its because they are resting on an incorrect premise and I don't have the time and TFL doesn't have the bandwidth for me to give you the hornbook law on contracts, property rights and several other areas.

I'm very happy to discuss this issue and will continue to do so because it is certianly an issue worth discussing. I also believe we can do it without any more of your 'helpful hints', especially where the law is concerned.

Just because something is an alternative doesn't make it in any way feasible.

No, but the question is going to be does it effectively render the option useless. That can't be said here.

For a significant number of affected employees, "inconvenient" doesn't begin to describe their other options.

Really? Disney is the only employer in florida? They don't have public parking in florida? People don't have spouses/friends to drop them off?

Sorry, but me telling you that you can't bring this on my property doesn't come anywhere near the level of me restricting your rights outside of work.

Really? Disney is the only employer in florida?

I believe somebody pointed out that a handful of companies that control a majority of the jobs in Florida all have similar policies. You yourself state (what, a post ago?) that one reason that an employer is more likely to have the policy than not is for insurance purposes. I believe Unregistered when he says he has no such policy, but it's been my experience that his is definitely not the norm.

This goes back to the idea that as long as some employer somewhere provides handicapped parking it's fine if a given employer chooses not to. It's not hard to imagine that at least some subset of CHL holders might be in a position where they have no employment options outside of companies that have the same policy.

They don't have public parking in florida?

In the vicinity of Disneyworld? They may well not (perhaps somebody here knows). I don't recall seeing much in the way of public lots near any other theme park I've been to (haven't been to DW specifically, but I've been to several).

People don't have spouses/friends to drop them off?

One of the questions nearly any employer is going to ask as part of the application/interview process is whether you have reliable transportation to work. A "friend," regardless of how good a friend they are, is often not going to be reliable transportation to work in the long term. Since two-income households are common, a spouse might not be a feasible option either (unless they work in the same area of town as you do, on a similar schedule, preferably both).

No, for a majority of employees these are not going to be feasible options, which is why most employers who are not near public parking will provide employee parking, and often enough for all their employees.

Employers have a financial reason for not wanting guns on the property. Think POSTAL. The answer is to exempt employers for liability, civil or tort, if an employee uses his gun, lawful or not.
Employers , as a general rule, are too stupid to realize that an armed employee, if dealt with in a proper manner, is the best security they can have.

I used to work for Charles Halliday, a current Florida resident, and, CEO of a culinary school. Charles had the enlightened policy of, provided you were not a woman with large breasts,;0 hiring you because you had served in the military, etc. I LOVED IT. As a manager, nothing is SO comforting as having a couple ex-Seals, an army recon guy or two, and a bunch of ex-green berets watching your back. As a business, we never asked if
our guys were carrying guns.
If a company doesn't have to pay insurance, or fees for being sued, then they really have no issue.

Second: Don't they have unions in Florida? Collective bargaining is a better solution then government intervention.

Frankly, I think this is a bunch of bull, made up by questionable employers, in fear of being shot, can we say Congress, and Washington D.C.? It is truly amazing to me the total disregard many companies have for the Constitution, and, how they get away with it for so long.
Enron has totally screwed Kali. Don't see why Disney can't do that to Florida...

I believe somebody pointed out that a handful of companies that control a majority of the jobs in Florida all have similar policies. You yourself state (what, a post ago?) that one reason that an employer is more likely to have the policy than not is for insurance purposes. I believe Unregistered when he says he has no such policy, but it's been my experience that his is definitely not the norm.

I find it highly suspect that a majority of the businesses in an entire state with the size and population of florida are controlled by a couple of companies. I realize you weren't the one who said this, but I'd like to see something supporting this.

This goes back to the idea that as long as some employer somewhere provides handicapped parking it's fine if a given employer chooses not to. It's not hard to imagine that at least some subset of CHL holders might be in a position where they have no employment options outside of companies that have the same policy.

Accomodating the disabled isn't the same as one is a condition inseparable from the person and the other is an item.

In the vicinity of Disneyworld? They may well not (perhaps somebody here knows). I don't recall seeing much in the way of public lots near any other theme park I've been to (haven't been to DW specifically, but I've been to several).

I've never been to disney world but I'm confident that they do have streets and said streets do have parking.

One of the questions nearly any employer is going to ask as part of the application/interview process is whether you have reliable transportation to work. A "friend," regardless of how good a friend they are, is often not going to be reliable transportation to work in the long term.

Irrelevant. If your friend flakes, thats not the fault of the business.

Since two-income households are common, a spouse might not be a feasible option either (unless they work in the same area of town as you do, on a similar schedule, preferably both).

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. For some reason there is this notion here that if there is a single example of someone not being able to have a gun unless they can keep it in their car that the actions of the property owner are invalid. Thats simply not the case.

As long as the property owner doesn't exceed their authority, i.e. the bounds of their property, they have the freedom to exclude all sorts of things. Because this makes your life harder, or because it makes you have to make a choice between your job and your firearm isn't the problem of the business. Sometimes carrying is going to make your life difficult. Thems just the breaks.

No, for a majority of employees these are not going to be feasible options, which is why most employers who are not near public parking will provide employee parking, and often enough for all their employees.

Sure they are. You keep forgetting that the percentage of gun owners who will be keeping a gun in their car is ridiculously small compared to the total amount of employees. So we aren't talking about the entire work force, just an uber small minority. I'd be surprised if it was over 1%.

Employers have a financial reason for not wanting guns on the property. Think POSTAL. The answer is to exempt employers for liability, civil or tort, if an employee uses his gun, lawful or not.

But theres also simply the fact that the business owner might not like firearms. While we might think this is irrational or short sighted, what right do you or I have to tell him that he has to bend his business and on his property for our desires. I know what I would tell you if I owned a business and it wouldn't pass the word filters.

Employers , as a general rule, are too stupid to realize that an armed employee, if dealt with in a proper manner, is the best security they can have.

Ex seals, rangers and green berets can have accidents. The wrong people can get shot. All sorts of things can happen.

If a company doesn't have to pay insurance, or fees for being sued, then they really have no issue.

And if I don't have to pay taxes for the rest of my life then I'll have more money to spend on guns. However thats not going to happen. Nor is it any more likely for a company of any consequence to not have insurance.

When you arrive at the DisneyWorld theme park, you have already been driving on Disney property for over 7 miles. There is no way to get to work there without your car being on property. Even the buses in the park are all owned by Disney.

The majority of the hotels near the property rest on property owned by Disney and leased to the hotel.

Don't they have unions in Florida? Collective bargaining is a better solution then government intervention.

The unions here have no power. Florida is a "right to work state"

I find it highly suspect that a majority of the businesses in an entire state with the size and population of florida are controlled by a couple of companies.

Believe it. In Orange county, there are about 517,000 people (2000 census)

The 6 largest employers break down like this:

1 Walt Disney World Co. – 57,000 claiming to be exempt- prohibit guns
2 Orange County Public Schools – 24,063 no guns allowed by state law
3 Adventist Health System (Florida Hospital) – 14,667 they have signs saying "no guns" at the door
4 Universal Orlando Resort – 13,000 they are claiming to be exempt from the new gun law- prohibit guns
5 Orlando Regional Healthcare – 12,000 metal detectors at the door- prohibit guns
6 Publix Supermarkets Inc. – 10,500- joined Disney in their lawsuit- prohibit guns

Just 6 employers represent 131,000 (26% of population) employees. 36% of our population is under 18 or over 65. That means that those employees represent nearly half of the employable workforce here. When you consider that Disney and Universal own alot of property that other businesses are operating on, thus giving Disney control over what policies those companies have.

Make no mistake, Disney runs this town. They by themselves employ 1/4 of our workforce.

From a safety standpoint, isn't it generally a bad idea to leave a gun in an automobile, especially in large parking lots lilke at Disney?

I generally will not leave a gun in a car.

Are other people in the habit of leaving guns in cars?

As for the monopoly that Disney has on Orlando, and the apparent lack of union support of the workers, I would still guess that if employees would protest this policy seriously, it could be reversed. Crying to the legislature should be a last resort, not first resort.

The Unions here are powerless. Before my current career, I worked for Disney repairing the animatronics. They are simply industrial robots dressed up as presidents, mice, dancing chickens, whatever. I was a member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical workers. This is how I know the history.

Early in Disney's history, the company complained that they did not have the time or money to negotiate with all of the unions, there were simply too many of them. So they set up a system whereby the unions were organized into "Councils." The trades council includes welders, pipefitters, plumbers, electronics techs, landscapers, and all of the technical trades. The services council includes bartenders, janitors, waiters, translators, and others.

Under the terms of the contract, the councils cannot go on strike unless each individual union in each council votes to strike. It must be unanimous. That is why strikes are almost unheard of. Imagine a guy who mows the lawn voting to strike when he gets paid the same as a pipefitter!

For Disney, this is not a property rights issue. Disney is the local government (called the Reedy Creek Improvement District) As the RCID, Disney has no problem controlling the property rights of other businesses in the area. The RCID was created by the state to allow Disney to be exempt from many of the laws in this state. The commissioners that control the RCID are selected by vote of all the property owners in the district, one vote per acre of property owned. Wanna guess who owns the majority of property within the RCID?

This for them is just another way to control employees.

I've never been to disney world but I'm confident that they do have streets and said streets do have parking.

And here is where I point out that, while you might know about the law, there are many other aspects of this situation that you don't know what you're talking about. It's pretty uncommon for there to be public parking within miles of a theme park. Especially one the size of Disneyworld.

Perhaps some people here have just not had to work a "regular" job in a while (either self employed or employed in fields where things aren't quite the same), but in most cities in this country you are pretty much just going to have to drive to work.

When you arrive at the DisneyWorld theme park, you have already been driving on Disney property for over 7 miles. There is no way to get to work there without your car being on property. Even the buses in the park are all owned by Disney.

The majority of the hotels near the property rest on property owned by Disney and leased to the hotel.

Again, I haven't been to disney world, however I would assume that it is at least somewhat similar to disneyland. There are public streets on which one has to travel to get there so that means that there are places to park that are off property.

Make no mistake, Disney runs this town. They by themselves employ 1/4 of our workforce.

They may very well run the town. But how many other towns and how many other counties are there in florida.

Back