Fixed VS. Collapsible Stock

It seems like the shooter's preferred technique would affect the choice.

Before getting an AR, My only longgun training was with the shotgun. I wasn't real convinced that an adjustable stock was something I needed but the rifle I selected had one.

A short carbine training course made me see the advantage of an adjustable stock. The instructor taught a technique that was different from what I learned for shotgun. When I shoot the AR, my shoulders are square to the target, my face is forward on the stock, and the stock mounts closer to my centerline. In order to do this, I have to collapse the stock down to be pretty short. I don't think a regular rifle stock would work.

Last edited:
Collapsable stocks are NOT inaccurate!

old Sneaky Pete here: in '73 I bought a Colt SP-1 rifle and it is in the AR15 configuration not A-1. As I'm a Service connected disabled Vet I mainly shoot supported--F-class or off the bench with Optics. I occasionally "Cleaned" our club 60>80 round any-any matches. Years later I got a bug up my b*** and decided to put on a collapsable--got the Cheepo TASCO 6 position & the rubber butt plate(?) and still was occasionally "Cleaning" a match. Then I got another bug and bought a JP Enterprise Grade II Super Match Upper 24" SS BBL--had to buy those "Small Hole/Large Hole" adaptors. and a nice Weaver T-36 Target scope and now I "Regularly" Clean the matches with Hi X counts and my smallest 10 shot group--so far--is 0.378" @ 100 and yes that is using that Cheepo TASCO collapsable. So---IF "You" are an accurate shooter then a collapsable stock shouldn't make any difference???? THANX--SNEAKY :)

^ that's so if you get shot in the chest, your armor (hopefully!) will take the hit!
That, and being square to the target, with the buttstock closer to your centerline allows you to keep the muzzle from jumping around when firing full auto.

Those who don't realize that collapsible stocks have actual application may call users "mall ninjas" or other bad names.
Which seems to be a recurring theme around these parts. Apparently some didn't learn a lesson from the Zumbo incident.

Very important point

There are two main reasons why I would want a fixed stock, and they are the only reasons out there.

Rigidity- best for the long range shots, etc.
Appearance- There's nothing sexier than a retro government 20" AR15.

Unfortunately appearance doesn't mean as much as diversity to me, and as for rigidity I can wrap a piece of paper or plastic around between the tube and stock and make it very stiff- one position in from farthest out.

This alone keeps me with the collapsible. In fact the bigger wobble factor is between my lower and upper, and unfortunately I have yet to find an acu-wedge-like solution that lasts.

I agree with Quentin2. It has a place in hunting. I usually only take my AR out for deer in nasty weather, and then I walk in close, brushy places. When you have a heavy coat on and a backpack with thick straps, it really comes in handy. It is a lot faster to get on your shoulder when you are walking around jumping deer.

I have a SBR Krinkov that fits into an innocuous backpack with a 20 round mag inserted ready to rock and roll. It's my Katrina gun. I can appear unarmed and yet still have a long gun ready.

I'm not sure a SBR AR would be short enough for a backpack with that tube sticking out the back of the receiver. If it is maybe a collapsible or folding stock might work. Just not quite as compact as the AK. Maybe with a bigger backpack.

A really short SBR Saiga 12 gauge would be excellent.

Roughly 2/3 of our AR stable has collapsible stocks. I find the solid stock easier to shoot from sandbags but the adjustable has it's place on a hunting/SD rifle. The heavy barrel configuration balances better with a solid stock plus you can add ballast to offset that muzzle weight.

If you need a short length of pull, shorter than an A1, a stock that uses a carbine buffer tube makes a lot of sense. Length of pull is a personal issue, but seems a less acute issue if one uses traditional positions as opposed to positions adapted to use of armor.

One draw back of a carbine buffer tube is that it will not accommodate any buffer I know of that weighs more than about five and a half ounces.

The main purpose for my AR is hunting, my AR came with a collapsible stock I replaced it with a fixed AR stock.

I realize the collapsible stock may be better for close quarter battle, that being said when I was in the military we were taught for close quarter battle to flip the butt stock into out armpit and squeeze the stock between our bicep and chest, then point shoot the rifle.

A lot of good points. I went with a fixed stock after having a collapsible, didn't like the small ammount of wiggle it had. Also mortaring out a stuck case is easier with a fixed stock vs the collapsible.

Back