Fixed VS. Collapsible Stock

Socrates3000

Hello--
I am contemplating building my first M4/AR-15 type tactical carbine. It's primary use will be self defense. I'm a k.i.s.s. kind of person, and I don't much like things I have no use for or are overly complicated. Could some folks please comment on their experiences of why a person might want a collapsible over a fixed stock on such a type of rifle?

I can think of two, if you are going to be wearing body armor or using the rifle in a confined space, the shorter stock might be handy. I like the more rigid feel of a fixed stock, but I can see a need for the others.

I like the fixed A2 stock myself but can see advantages to the telescoping M4 version - handier when shortened and good for cold weather when you have a thick coat.

I suppose the best of both worlds is to have both and swap when you need to. That's assuming that you don't need to change the buffer when going A2 to M4. (I don't have an AR but surely they use the same buffer I'd hope.)

I agree. Confined space is the best reason. If you plan on shooting more than getting in and out of a vehicle, get the fixed stock. The sliding aluminum stocks also pull out your whiskers when you shoot.

Different buffers BTW.

I may not adjust it much but I like collapsable on a 16" AR. If you want a 'no rattle' adjustable AR stock look at the Magpul CTR.

Adjustable stocks on ARs have tactical uses but very few civillyums have real tactical needs, though they may have tacticool needs.

My AR15A2 sports a fixed stock and non-removable carry handle...but then, I'm not too cool.

FH

Bushmaster Dissipator.

Good choice for 'the one' AR15.
I chose the A2/collapsible stock version for my first AR. :D

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWA3S16D.asp
BCWA3S%2016D.jpg

KISS rifle/carbine combination.
Nice.

I hate A2's, just because I don't like getting an adapter for my optics. But my choice is always a collapsible. A collapsible stock can always get longer, but a fixed won't ever get any shorter.

The one advantage that I have found in my carbine stock is that it makes storage easier. I think that I am going to have to put a fixed stock on my 6.5 grendel though because its hard to keep a good cheek weld on it with the carbine stock.

For general plinking I find the fixed stock more suitable to my needs. For use as a HD fire arm I find the collapsible stock to be more suitable. My solution, build both.
retro02.jpg

AR001-1.jpg

Pay the money you need to to get a premium grade teloscopic stock. Then, if you like a fixed stock, get one of those too. There will come a time that you won't be able to get any more teloscopic or folding stocks. People seem to be forgetting that.

If I were building an AR15 that was going to be primarily a defensive weapon it would have a collapsible stock. I like the Magpul ones quite a bit.

I have several AR15's, and they all have collapsible stocks.

However, I do have a A2 but stock in my parts box ready to go if I ever change my mind. I doubt I will. I'll probably have to build another AR15 around it. You know, no since in letting those parts just set around....

DBAR

Collapsible pros and cons

Pros:

1) Can be shortened significantly, which is useful for vehicular travel and storage.
2) Can be shortened significantly, which some people using heavy armor will exploit by bracing butt against chest plate instead of shoulder, keeping heavy plate facing adversary instead of weak-side armpit opening.
3) Can be adjusted in length for use by other than primary shooter, whose arms may be longer or shorter.

Cons:
1) May not be as rigid or durable as a fixed stock.
2) Those who don't realize that collapsible stocks have actual application may call users "mall ninjas" or other bad names.
3) Most collapsible stocks don't have the nifty cleaning kit storage compartment you can get inside most fixed stocks.
3b) Mitigating factor: you can buy cleaning kits designed to stow inside an AR pistol grip.

I'd like an A1 fixed stock but the A2 is longer than I prefer.

I ended up with a Basic 6 Position stock just to give myself more options although it nearly always is used at one position.

H bar A2

Personally, I like my A2 solid stock, but my main purpose is for long range shooting. Tactical stocks are great with a carbine length barrel and used indoors.

Collapsible stocks have plenty of non-tactical uses. Here are a couple of common ones I use frequently in my non-tactical civilian life:

1. Different shooters - whether it is kids, relatives, or significant other, a collapsible stock lets each shooter adjust the length of pull to suit their needs.

2. Storage - fitting the rifle into a 32" case or safe is as easy as collapsing the stock. Not only does this case look less gunlike and more discrete. It is easier to lug around too.

3. Different positions - assume a natural, comfortable position for standing, kneeling, sitting and prone. Can you do it without changing your cheekweld? Instead of changing my position to get the same cheekweld, I can change my stock length to maximize comfort and reduce fatigue.

I won't get into minor distinctions between "tactical" and IPSC style competition; but collapsible stocks are useful there as well.

Of course, you always run the risk of some ignorant person making snide "tacticool" comments; but as a gun owner you are probably already used to educating the ignorant about firearms so I wouldn't sweat it.

I don't, and you shouldn't care about what other people think about how your AR15 is set up. You should set it up the way you like it.

DBAR

Different buffers BTW.

Thanks, hodaka! As soon as I said that I got wondering so looked around and sure enough the long A2 buffer tube wouldn't let a telescoping stock collapse. So you'd have to have both types of stocks and both buffer tubes and internals if you wanted to swap. Looks like more trouble than it's worth.

Back