fixed sights

I recall an article in a gun magazine where the author said carry a set of shim gauges in your pistol box, use them to measure the elevation settings for different loads to make elevation adjustments easier and more precise.
I have read that fixed sight guns front sights were usually "regulated" for specific loads-the 38 Special RNL, e.g.

1) Do the milled sight channels and fixed rear sight of revolvers like the Model 10 or 65 ever leave you wanting?
One thing I found is that compared to the fixed sights on my early 2000's vintage model 642, the fixed sights my older model 649 (early 80's vintage) has a thinner front sight blade and more narrow rear notch. With my poor vision (I'm nearsighted with astigmatism and have worn glasses or contacts since I was 7 years old) I have a very difficult time obtaining a good sight picture with the 649, even though I've painted the front sight orange and blacked out the rear.

The more modern style fixed sights on the 642 (wide front sight blade and wide rear notch) are much easier for me to use and actually quite comparable to the adjustable 'target' sights on my Taurus model 94, S&W Model 15 and S&W model 28.

Last edited:
The more modern style fixed sights on the 642 (wide front sight blade and wide rear notch) are much easier for me to use and actually quite comparable to the adjustable 'target' sights on my Taurus model 94, S&W Model 15 and S&W model 28.

I have 642 bought about new about 7 years ago the fixed sights on it are not even remotely close to the adjustable sights on my other Smith revolvers. And I still had decent shooting vision when I first bought it.

I shoot a 32 S&W Long revolver a lot....using different loads, I get different impacts....so instead of adjusting the sights, which I really can’t do anyway, I just adjust my point of aim...Seems to work fine for me....I’m never in a hurry to shoot as many shots at once, I have the time to remember which load I am shooting and adjust accordingly

I have 642 bought about new about 7 years ago the fixed sights on it are not even remotely close to the adjustable sights on my other Smith revolvers. And I still had decent shooting vision when I first bought it.
Try an older j-frame from the early 80s or older. You'll really appreciate those newer fixed sights :D

One last note of wisdom on Fixed vs. Adjustable sights: Never try to fan a Ruger Blackhawk or a Colt New Frontier.

Bob Wright

Depends on the purpose of the revolver and if the sights are properly regulated. If the sights are properly regulated there is no problem. I have only had 2 revolvers not properly regulated, one had a barrel clocked wrong and one was a mystery.

Try finding a used Smith 581 or 681, they go FAST.

Back