Fixed sights vs. adjustable sights ~ my thoughts....

For me I prefer the gun have what it needs to have on it, so it really depends on the gun and the intended use.
A service 1911 that's only going to see 230s@ 850 is GTG with fixed sights a 4-6" 357 revolver that may see light loaded 125s to hot and heavy 180s needs an adjustable sight.

Thanks for the great post Bob.

I'm a huge revolver fan and user, but would like to add that the adjustable sight on the Ruger SR pistols is a very useful, durable and snag free set-up. Having zeroed mine in for several different loads over the past several years, it can be confidently carried with the knowledge that the bullet will go to POA. Several skunks and other vermin around the farm can attest to that.

My experience with fixed sight revolvers has led me to realize that I don't obtain as good a sight picture with the grooved frame rear sight...
As my old eyes are continuing to fail, I find the same problem. Adjustable sights are larger and easier to pickup than fixed sights. I prefer adjustables for the reason mentioned, but have bought some old guns with fixed sights just because I had to have them. For instance I love shooting my .32 S&W long with fixed sights and would prefer adjustable, but cannot afford the $2,000 or so for a K-32 in good shape.

I prefer adjustable sights on everything if I can get it. That said I do have several pistols with fixed sights.(wind. adj.) Some target style adj. sights do not work well for concealment, but we are getting a much better selection of tritium adj. sights that work just fine for concealment. I really want my shot to land where I aim. I know "defensive" shooting rarely requires that degree of accuracy but I like having it anyway. I like to shoot my carry guns a bunch and that includes longer shots.(50-80 yds.) At a 12" plate. To have to hold "off or over" to hit is not good for confidence and is certainly less fun.

Fixed sights on my carry guns and adjustable sights on my hunting pistols. I didn't plan it that way, that's just the way it worked out.

25 years ago I had Wilson build me a Master Grade 130 .45. I requested fixed sights. That was my duty gun for ten years until I was issued a (shudder) Glock. :)

For most of my shooting I actually prefer fixed sights and the smaller the better, especially on my carry/defense guns.

That being said a drift adjustable type rear sight comes in handy when the windage is way off.

In this day and age if you are a handloader adjustable sights can be handy when you have to work up loads to shoot with powders you would not normally use.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Optics anyone?

I can see the virtues of fixed and adjustable sights. Fixed quick easy no fuss. Adjustable POA = POI. As a re-loader I like adjustable over fixed. But I prefer optics over fixed or adjustable. But to be honest I don't normally shoot under 25 yards. I had to do it for a CCW a couple of weeks ago and came in with a S&W 22A 7" barrel and a red dot and the instructor accused me of cheating! Its within the rules here. So I went back to the car and grabbed a DW 44 I picked up the day before and had never fired and did it again. Not much difference (bigger holes). The fellow that owned it must have used the same sight picture that I do. We learned to shoot in the same organization. I now have that pistol out at the local gunsmith getting a scope mount added. As I continue to age I just find optics easier. I enjoy 200+ yard shots. I've hit gongs at 400+ its fun to watch peoples reactions at the range. BYW my wife may be a better shot....:eek:

I want fixed sights for the ones I carry. That is what they tend to come with anyway, since I prefer 38 or 44 hammerless snubbies, and tiny pocket 380's. Don't get me wrong, I use, pocket holsters, but I know that if needed I can shove any of my carry guns into almost any kind of pocket or bag and it won't snag on anything. I also don't want a bunch of buttons and levers sticking out - just something small and smooth that fits my hand and all I have to do is aim it and squeeze the trigger.

For my other handguns I prefer adjustable sights. I will fiddle with them on maybe four or five shooting trips to get them sighted in for a sort of average of the typical loads and shooting techniques that they will suffer through. They are fine after that.

I much prefer adjustable sights for almost any application except for when carrying concealed and a snagged sight becomes a potential liability. Generally speaking, adjustable sights are easier to see and can readily be made to conform to the point of impact with the point of aim when changing from one bullet weight to another and/or when changing powder charges and loads. Much ado has been made of the supposed fragility of adjustables but I carried Smith revolvers having adjustable sights for much of my thirty year le career and on only one occasion did I have the blade of a rear sight break (during a struggle with the arrest of a parolee)-and if I had to use the gun in that close range proximity, no sights would have worked as well as any sight.

Back