First time to range. Please help critique.

Thank You Firing Line!!!

Took my third trip to the range today. My first 4 targets were awesome!!! Below is a picture of my third because I took 15 shots at it instead of the 5 or 10 on the other targets... give you a better idea of how I'm doing. My targets later in the session deteriorated maybe due to cockiness or to fatigue or something.

Now, I'm not bullseying (sp??) but I'm getting more consistant. And I have no way of telling if the sights are a shade off on the gun either so...

Anyways, a big thank you to everyone that posted above, it all help a lot. I'll post back after I take some more trips to the range!!! Thanks again!

HPIM0383.jpg

Great!
But get yourself a bigger bullseye. Trying to shoot that small bull will cause you to start snatching the trigger. Bigger bull re-enforces the concept of holding area rather than "snatch the trigger when the sight picture is right on" concept. Better yet, just use a blank sheet of paper and only focus on the sight alignment! You would be amazed at the groups you can shoot that way.

Out at the range today while the Sheriffs firearms instrutor was teaching some new recruits.
Had two good exercises he was doing with them.
First was a negative target. Instead of a bulleye on the target, he used a cutout on a sillouette target. You could simple cut out say a 6 to 8 inch hold in cardboard.
Then your goal is to shoot through the hole. This is easier on the mind than trying to hit a bullseye. In your mind you say, I can easily shoot all my rounds through that big hole. It's kind of positive negative shooting.

Same as when excellent shooters just punch out the center of their targets and just keep shooting through the same hole. They are just trying to minimize the errant shots, rather than worrying about each shot in particular. That re-enforces the aiming area principle.

Second exercise he had the shooter hold the front blade right on the target and he, while standing to the side of the shooter, pulled the trigger for them. The shooters finger was along the slide and not on the trigger. This exercise was to focus only on hold and the shooter in no way could anticipate when the shot would go off.
Excellent exercises for the new shooter in my opinion.

Back