First time carrying ALL summer: Sweat=RUST! - Advice?

I've probably only shot 300 or so through this gun. I have switched the frame back and forth from the XL version, so I can do that again and take pics. I'm most hesitant about taking apart the slide.. --PS--regarding the ballistol milk... is adding water necessary? I can just shoot ballistol through it..?

Removing the striker assembly isn’t too bad. This video was helpful to me:

https://youtu.be/83hAANDK-zI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've probably only shot 300 or so through this gun. I have switched the frame back and forth from the XL version, so I can do that again and take pics. I'm most hesitant about taking apart the slide.. --PS--regarding the ballistol milk... is adding water necessary? I can just shoot ballistol through it..?
Tunnel Rat provide a good video on how to take down the receiver. Much easier than you may think.(If I can do it anyone can). You need to learn to do this sooner or later. Might as well start now.
Yes, for these small parts Ballistol Mixture with the water is important. It is very thin. You do not want thick oil on the small parts. Again it will dry and leave a very thin coat.
Take your time taking the reciever apart and be careful To not loose the small springs. I buy extra for all my guns just in case. Have fun doing this. You learn a lot along the way.
Congrats! on your new gun by the way. 300 rds is just getting it broken in. You should have a life time of good shooting.

Lucas Oil Slick mist on the magazines. Once a month with a wipe down will do it. Slides, stainless, NiB or Cerakote.

Don't keep against your skin. That will contribute the most but humid salty air doesn't help anything. As far as what products to use, I did a test a few yrs back which I posted here:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573499

I actually did 3 different experiments with tons of stuff so check it out there. The short version, dont use turtle wax as someone suggested, its terrible. Eezox worked better than anything else I tried.

I think the best advice for you, as given above, is to not keep it against your skin. It is likely that large amounts of perspiration dripped/seeped inside your magwell and remained unnoticed for a while.

Having a clothing barrier between you and your firearm will prevent that. Sure, moisture will still get on the surface but large droplets will not be allowed to seep inside. Then, removing the firearm from the holster, removing the magazine, and wiping things down with a lightly oiled cloth every now and then will remove the caustic sweat remnants and further help to prevent rust.

I have a bunch of thin tank-tops I wear to keep something between my skin and guns. That is good advice from adamBomb and jmhyer

easy

At the risk of sounding like a smart apple, .....if it gets sweaty......clean it.

If that means daily, so be it. I keep a coffee can with an oily cloth, a tooth brush and a soft bore brush and a small container of lube. At minimum I'll clear the pistol and do a wipe down and punch the bore. Obviously sweated, I'll field strip and pay more attention. A bit of lube on the brush will get into tiny places like grip screws, dovetails and slide serrations.

At the risk of sounding like a smart apple, .....if it gets sweaty......clean it.

If that means daily, so be it. I keep a coffee can with an oily cloth, a tooth brush and a soft bore brush and a small container of lube. At minimum I'll clear the pistol and do a wipe down and punch the bore. Obviously sweated, I'll field strip and pay more attention. A bit of lube on the brush will get into tiny places like grip screws, dovetails and slide serrations.
Yep I wear a T-Shirt. I kept an oiled rag in a ziplock in the glove. Box and oil all around the house.

I wipe down after any hot day.

A little spay will do ya. Hey, It great for the skin as well. And mixing a little Ballistol will certainly not kill the bank. Just spray and wipe each day. No big deal. I keep a bottle of Ballistol milk on top of my dresser. Use it all the time. When my hands get dry, just a little spray.
I live near the Ocean and use it for just about every thing. Keep some in the truck as well. I wipe down my carry each night and also the lite milk wipes down the leather holsters very well.

nWkKajH.jpg

Works great in my Sonic Cleaner. The crud floats to the Top. Underneath is just pure white milk. I can use it many times.

h93n1Pn.jpg

[Let them hate, so long as they fear."

Last edited:
Lucas Oil Slick mist on the magazines. Once a month with a wipe down will do it. Slides, stainless, NiB or Cerakote.
/QUOTE]
Slick Mist is good stuff. Have used it on bikes and cars for years. Never thought of using it on firearms. Have to give it a try,

Back when I carried it a lot, my Kel-tec P-40 slide had the finish worn of and it would rust in a jiffy, even if oiled or waxed up. Eventually had it nickel-plated and that solved the rusting problem.

A holster with the aptly named 'sweat shield' is a great way to keep perspiration off the firearm. Many good recommendations above. Carry, wipe, repeat.

Attachments

• sweat shield.jpeg
    sweat shield.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 12
If you have a leather holster, soak it well with WD-40...................several times. It will no longer be a rust maker.

Back