First Time at The Range: ADVICE WANTED/NEEDED

Bar Tender,

I can't really add to the advice given you above. Many knowledgable(sp?) people are on this board and I, who has had and fired guns from a young age, still learn from them. For that, I am very grateful.

On another post that you started, you made mention that we may soon tire of your questions (paraphrased) and I can tell you, that will never be the case. That is one of the main missions of TFL, to help others, especially new folks to guns, with any questions that they may have. You may think that a question is "stupid" or are afraid to ask because you may think that others will look down on you, but at TFL, that will never happen and all questions are welcomed.

So, I just wanted to take this time to say, Welcome to TFL and I think that we all will agree to this, please have fun on your first time going shooting, be safe and enjoy the experience.

Wayne

I know this will seem pretty obvious, but since no one else mentioned it, I will. Read the instruction manual that came with the gun. When you are done, wait a day and read it again. It will tell you A LOT about the proper use of firearms in general, and your firearm in particular.

Your particular handgun has a very uncommon feature, a tip-up barrel. Use this feature everytime you need to check if a cartridge (the complete bullet, shell, gunpowder and primer) is loaded in the chamber. Hold the handgun with your shooting hand, but with your finger OFF of the trigger. Place your thumb from your other hand over the top of the barrel, to keep it from springing up to fast and flinging the cartridge out of the chamber. Then activate the barrel release with your shooting hand thumb. If you want to shoot immediately after than you may press down on the barrel and continue shooting. If you wish to stop shooting for awhile, rotate the barrel so it is upright, 90 degrees in relation to the rest of the gun.

Graveyards are full of folks who thought a .22 could'nt kill them. BE CAREFUL!
have fun, take your time, and don't worry too much about hitting bullseyes. Learn how to load, unload, grip, sight picture, saftey features and so on. Bullseyes come later!!!

have a great time. wear eye protection!

"Is it breaking an etiquette rule to shoot while the guy next to you is shooting?"

Eh, in general it's fine to do that, at least at the ranges I go to. That said, if I'm shooting one of my louder rifles or pistols next to a newby, I try to give them some time to shoot so as not to make them jittery. I don't like it when I'm trying to sight in my deer rifle and the guy next to me fires off his 45-70 right next to me a split second before I pull the trigger! A little courtesy goes a long way, but if someone next to me is firing away, I don't have a problem doing the same.

I want to expand on what XBreath said. After everyone has signed in and paid to use the range you and your mother hang back and say to the range master, "My mother and I are shooting for the first time. We want to make sure we don't do anything dangerous or stupid so please tell us what you want us to know. Also please keep an eye on us as we would apreciate any suggestions to make this more fun." Or words to that effect.

Most of us guys don't want to admit we don't know something, especially around guns. I am a NRA certified instructor in Rifle, Pistol and Refuse to be a Victum so I have learned to listen.

Shooting: Sight Picture, Breath Control and Trigger Squeeze.

Sight picture - Front sight in the middle of the rear sight with the top of each the same height. Focus on the front sight so the rear sight and the target are out of focus. Hold as steady as possible while squeezing the trigger.

Breath Control - Take a deep breath. Let out 40 to 60 percent and hold while squeezing the trigger.

Trigger Squeeze - You want the gun firing to surprise you. If you pull the trigger so that you know when it will fire YOU WILL flinch! Do not attempt to fire the shot when the front sight is exactly where you want it. Let the front sight move while slowly and smoothly squeezing the trigger.

I once lived in North Hills. Have fun and follow the range and safety rules.

I'll just say that my first time shooting, I rented some Ruger 9-shot .22 revolver.

I got some nice groups, too, thanks to lots of book reading.

I then rented a USP40, and bought a box of ammo. My first shot of .40 that day was my best shot.

I've since managed to work it down a bit, but since I'm a college student and a.) live in dorms, b.) don't own a gun, c.) am poor, and d.) don't have any place I consider safe enough to put one legally anyway, I have to rent and have only managed to put out about 200 rounds total in any caliber. :(

My advice:
-Stick to a small caliber if you want to try a semi. I should've gone to a 9mm, in hindsight, although I feel comfortable with a USP40 (and USP45, actually) so I haven't bothered to try out a 9mm yet.
-Muzzle downrange. Period. Revolvers, carry them with the cylinder out; pistols, carry them empty, slide locked, magazine in hand. People at the range might rib you for being a paranoid newbie, but whatever. It's standard policy at the range I've been to (Calibers, in Greensboro, NC).
-Try to fire at the end of an inhalation or exhalation.
-Don't blink when you fire.
-Racking slides is more fun than using the slide release. :p

Colonel Klink, are you the same Col.Klink I see on Red Orchestra all the time?

sit and watch

i dunno how shooting ranges work in the states, but it cant be too different from South africa.
i think you should sit/stand and watch how the range works. watch what other people do and when. let the more experienced of your group go first so you can observe.
also listen for phrases spoken by the range officer, things like range open or range closed. here open means you dont shoot and can go examine your target or change it, closed means hearing protection on (you should get a warning for this) and firing can continue.

just watch and learn for 5 minutes it will help.

Took a Line Operator/Women on Target class on Saturday. We now suggest trigger "pull". Your trigger finger should move independently of the rest of your hand not squeeze your hand with the finger moving. Get a grip, on the gun, as you would a firm handshake. Don't change your grip as you pull the trigger straight back. This prevents you pulling the sights off the target as you pull the trigger.

Concealed Carrie

When you get to the range find the rangemaster or one of the range personnel. Tell them you are new and lack experience. They should be MORE THAN willing to help you, show you the range, advise what is and isn't good practice and form. They should be VERY helpful. If that is missing find another range. If you get to AZ I'd be happy to help.

Everyone's got the shooting stuff covered, just one word about post shooting:

Wash your hands and face with COLD water and soap when you are done. It keeps the pores in your skin from absorbing the residue that builds up. (When you use warm water - your pores open up.)

Good luck and welcome to the world of the gun owners. :D

Wear Proper Clothing!!!

My best friend's girlfriend wanted to go along with us so I said it was okay. She was showing a little cleavage and had a hot shell land there. Those shells are pretty darn hot and will burn you. Save the sexy attire for after the range.

I agree with most of the previous posts. Start off small (I guess you are going to use your .22) and build up. Another very important thing is having the proper shooting stance. I prefer modified weaver which is basically a staggered stance where your right leg (if you are shooting right handed) is further back than your left leg and they are about shoulder width apart. This make you a smaller target if you ever get in a situation where you are being shot at (I hope it never happens to any of us) and is also a very stable stance. It will also help you control recoil. Try to bend slightly forward at the waist to keep your weight forward. This will also help with recoil (the kick from the gun).

Also make sure you learn how to hold the gun properly. Those little guns will pinch you or cut your hand open if the hammer bites you or the slide catches you. Don't death grip the gun but get a good solid grip. Holding it too tight will tire you out quickly and make your hands unsteady.

One more thing. Don't worry about putting the target way back. Concentrate on getting small groups. As you get better, you can worry about shooting further away. The whole machismo show off thing usually isn't a problem with the ladies though.

Good luck and welcome to the sport.

Back