first time at 300 with my 22-250

kilotanker22

awhile back i bought a savage axis 22-250. i have been keeping yall posted when i go to shoot it. ammunition has been very hard to find for it around here. well i found a box of remington 55 gr sp ammo and bought it cause it was the first box in that caliber i have found in awhile.

anyway decided to sight it for 300 yards. first i had to sight in closer. so started at 50 dead nuts. that put me .75 inch high at 100. well since i am currently out of a chronograph i decided to use the ballistic information on remingtons website.

remington says 3680 for velocity so i used the bc and velocity provided by remington and plugged it into the nosler ballistic calculator on my iphone. and set my zero for 50 yards. well according to the app i should have been like 5.35 inches low at 300 with my 50 yard zero. so i clicked my nikon scope up 7 clicks and proceeded to fire a five round group at 300.

now at 50 yards i was zeroed but at 300 my windage was off by 3 inches but elevation was near perfect. i also was shooting my 308 and 270 at this target but i think it is pretty obvious which ones are the 224 caliber holes.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 150
Factory ammo? Not bad at all. That'll work well on prairie dogs and coyotes.

If you reload, or start reloading, groups will probably get tighter. And since that cartridge began in the 1930s as a necked-down .250-3000, that brass will work.

I do reload it's just that all the powder I need is almost non existent right now and even the bullets I would chose are pretty scarce especially in .224 caliber.

I agree that's good for factory ammo. I am going to go buy the last two boxes Friday if they still have them. That remington plain old soft points shoot pretty good In That rifle although it seems as though no matter what I feed that rifle it shoots really well.

That axis shoots so dang good though I am thinking about getting another one in either 243 or 7mm-08

Art

Oh yeah I have 40 pieces of nosler brass 20 pieces of federal and 20 pieces of remington so once I find powder and bullets I want i will be good to go

I dug out my very ancient Sierra book. IMR 3031, 4895, H380, 740 and 760 are among the best-velocity powders.

i wonder if Remington would give me their load data for that particular ammunition. i think that by weighing each individual charge and playing with the seating depth a wee bit it would shoot even better.

another load that i have had great results with is the nosler trophy grade 55 gr ballistic tip. ran out of ammo before i got to 300 with it but here is a picture of it at 200.

Attachments

• nosler trophy grade 22-250 top group.JPG
    nosler trophy grade 22-250 top group.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 82
One of my favorite accuracy/varmint loads for the .22-250 Rem was 34.5 grains of IMR 4895, using Sierra 55 grain, Semi-Pointed bullets.

For target work, cutting back a few grains of powder retained accuracy while being easier on brass. A great feature of IMR 4895 is it's loading flexibility. It also measures pretty well.

Picher,
Your load using IMR-4895 and said bullet is exactly what I load in my 22-250[Savage 112 FVS]. If not that load, then it is 35.0gr Varget or 35.0gr IMR-4064,same bullet. Excellent results.

ColColt,
What rifle is your .222? I've been looking mighty hard at an CZ. Can't recall the model right now, but, it has my interest. Those .222's shoot mighty fine.

Did you do any trigger upgrades to your axis? I bought one in 243 and the trigger was very heavy. I chose to just change out the spring for $15 just cause i wanted to keep with the "budget rifle" theme. What a difference. Last weekend i put 3 shots inside a quarter at 100 yds. My buddy and i went back to 450 yds and i put 3 shots within a 3 to 4 inch group just laying on a sand pile. My buddy that i shoot with came up with a load for my 243 that has worked very well. Its 38gr of h4895 shooting sierra 60gr hollow points. It works so well that i will use that for ALL my paper and varmin shooting. Now i want to come up with a good deer and possible hog load. Im thinking in the 85gr range. At 450 yds there was little to no windage change with the 60gr hp. I agree that the savage axis is a awesome shooter but my buddy and i talk and i think that there are some calibers that are just so darn accurate it doesnt matter what you shoot them out of. I think 22-250, 223, 243, and 25-06 are so accurate you could shoot them out of a bamboo tube and they will group well.lol I vote for the 243 instead of the 7-08 if you choose to get another axis. Nothing wrong with 7-08 at all but i like the lesser recoil.

RifleTom: I got that load from a guy who was a military target shooter and Armorer and used it to win quite a few turkeys at Central Maine shoots.

On her first and only shot in competition, and on a bet, my wife, who was 7 months pregnant and had to lay sideways, shooting off a log, hit a perfect pinwheel at 100 yards to win a turkey with that load.

Glad I didn't shoot against her, but there were a lot of unhappy guys who did!

Last edited:
that's great picher

and what i did to the trigger was cut two coils and thread a set screw to control over travel. then i honed the contact surfaces.

Not an intentional hijack but my brother finally unearthed his 22-250 from his closet after badgering, (4 years) finally broke him down like a dirty sparkplug, The rifle is a custom Mark V, action and barrel glassbedded by his own hand. His loads echo the use of IMR 4895, with Nosler 52 grain spitzers, I will find his velocity and post later after a range session...Im pretty stoked to finally shoot this little lazer beam..

Man, I'm tellin' you, I'm caught between the "triple deuce" or the 22-250. Got all the gear for handloading the 22-250, everything. But, that .222 keeps a calling.Hmmmm, things to ponder.

Back