first semi auto

bandaidman

After many years away from shooting I am in the market to get a semiauto. I'm interested in a target gun in a larger caliber with a safety. I am not intending to use it as a ccw gun so size is not a factor. I really like .45s but I am a lefty and they seem a little cumbersome for me to use. The beretta 92s (esp the brigadier) are easy for me to handle and seem very well built and at this time is my first choice.

Any other suggestions? (domestic tranquility necessitates spending less than $1000)

If the Beretta feels right, and you like shooting it, get it. The danger of these types of threads is everyone just writes in their favorite. Shoot a variety of handguns to help you make an informed decision. If you are set on a .45, their are options. If you are set on the Beretta in 9mm, you will get a great gun. If you are looking for something bigger than 9mm, than maybe a Beretta 96 of somekind in .40S&W, might be a good compromise.

Can't go wrong with the Beretta 92, IMO. For cheap target practice or defense, you can't go wrong with 9mm. 9mm is less than half the cost of .40, .45, etc. ($5.95 vs. $13.95 at Wally World) and is great for self-defense.

Whatever fits you and you are happy with.Quality is normal in most major brands but you can get a lemon in allmost any brand.

If the Beretta feels good you might want to take a look at the Taurus PT-92/96. Same gun for all intents and purposes, life time warranty, free one year subscription for the NRA when you buy a new one, a frame mounted safety that can be carried cocked and locked and cost half of the Beretta.

I will say look at the CZ75/85 series. The 85 comes with Ambi safety and slide stop. Nothing wrong with the Beretta 92 series either. If this is only for range use I will respectfully suggest 9mm. Cheaper to shoot. Adds to domestic bliss. So you dont have to hear and I quote
"WHAT! You spent how MUCH on AMMO?"

My first semi auto pistol: Ruger MKII Target .22RF

My second pistol: CZ85B in 9mm Luger

That is my whole experience. I did not regret either purchase. The 9mm Luger takes some getting used to after the .22RF, but I'm learning how to get accurate with it.

What I am thinking for my next one: either a surplus Makarov or a new CZ83 in 9mm Makarov. A little less kick and noise; and smaller size. But I will not sell either of the other ones.

For what it's worth in your search, this is my 2 cents.

The Sig Saur P226 is a great gun and u can pick one up used under 1000 or even a new one. It feels great in your hand and it shoots like a dream. Also the Walther P99 is also a good gun but its a tad on the light side. But its great. ANd i must agree with the other person who posted a reply, the browning Hi-Power is a great gun too. A little old but alls oldies but goldies.

If you like the Beretta's features, but want a .45 ACP, look at the Beretta Cougar 8045. It has the same controls and grip angle. The grip is actually more comfortable and it is as accurate as the other full size Beretta's.

I have a couple 92 Berettas and I'm very happy with them. They are accurate, never jam, and always pleasant to shoot. Also easy to take down and clean.

One thing that could be nicer, however, is some adjustable target sights. My stock sights work good and dead on the point of aim, but it is still difficult to get a higher level of precision for real bullseye shooting. (Note this is just an issue of being able to judge a minute movement when the sights have so much "air" between them). But obviously the sights were designed for combat situations, not nit picky bullseye shooting, and they work well for quick alignment.

A $1000 will get you a pistol that most guys can only dream about. Look at the Sig's---Beretta's-----H&K's you will be happy with any of them. That being said--there are a lot of cheaper guns that you might like too-- mainly Ruger's and CZ's. Spend a saturday off and go shopping and see what you like the best. Have Fun

EAA Witness

If you like the larger guns I'm going to suggest the EAA Witness. You can get it in 9mm, 38 Super, 40 S&W, 10mm and 45. They have a frame mounted safty, and most gunsmiths should be able to install a ambi safty for you. They're popular in competition so there are hundreds of aftermarket parts for them.

My 9mm Witness cost $275 and is more accurate than my Sig 220, for the price even Taurus can't touch them.

http://www.eaacorp.com/firearms/pistols/standard_steel/index_new.html

John
http://www.handloads.com

I'm a lefty too and I would definitely not go Sig...unless someone knows of a way to move the controls over to the other side of the frame...I say check out the H&K USPs...all three calibers, 9mm, .40, & .45, and that great fire control system available on the CORRECT side of the frame...

G

T'aint true about Sig's and lefties

I'm a lefty and own a few Sig's that work well for me. I use my trigger finger to operate both the mag release and the decocker without difficulty. Some folks do change the mag release to the other side, but I'm perfectly comfortable with the controls right where they are. :)

Consider a Ruger Mark II in 22. Cheap to shoot, and very easy gun to learn on. Little recoil, not bad trigger.
Take a look at a Glock. The 45 is double columm so it might be a bit wide for your hands. Right at the edge for me.
Being left handed is not a disadvantage with autos.
Use your shooting finger to push in the mag. release.
When slide is locked back and you want to reload, slam mag in with right hand. Either pull slide back and release, or bring your right hand up and over your left and pull the slide stop down.
Also there are some (Beretta for one) that you can swap the mag release to the other side.
Best advice shoot and try as many as you can.

Back