first rifle: stevens 200 .308 or 30-06

30-06

I'd go with the 30-06 for simplicity's sake: one barrel twist to choose from, one spec (compared to the differences between .308 and 7.62NATO chambers), and a 30-06 can use any bullet a .308 can use. 30-06 is kind of blah due to its ubiquity and age, but it is hard to beat.

I am curious at why you think you have to shoot at 600 yards for hogs?

WB, I think you are jumping the gun a little.

hopefully i can bag a hog one day, but before that happens i will probably be spending a lot of time at the range. and i'd like to work my way out to say 600 yds.

Bagging a hog and working his way out to 600 yards at the range is two different things. That is my take on it anyway, and I still feel that there are very few hunters that try to set themselves up for the long shot. However having the skills to make a long shot in the field is never a bad thing.

I still have a lot of faith in people to do the right thing. I think as the OP starts shooting and practicing for the possibility of hunting, he will realize his limitations and hunt within them. There is nothing wrong with having goals such as bagging a hog, or shooting 600 yards, and there still is nothing wrong if those two goals can come together successfully.

thanks for the input.

yeah i don't really plan on shooting a hog at 6 football fields away. but i'm hoping to buy a rifle that could do that, should the need arise. i know it's the shooter not the rifle, but i'm a pretty bad shot as it is so i'd really like a rifle that could meet me halfway to accuracy.

i've checked a few websites and the .308 does seem relatively cheaper than the 30-06 round. and .308 surplus rounds seem to be in abundance, while 30-06 surplus rounds seem to be far and few between. anyone have any more input on this?

i'm leaning more towards the .308 just because the rounds seem cheaper and of more abundance. and it can fire the current NATO round. that might not be of significance, but if the world's militaries do evolve to a different round, it's reassuring to know that there will be a huge surplus of cheap ammo flooding the market when it happens.

the 30-06's ability to fire rounds of a wide variety of grains would be nice though. decisions decisions.

some quick questions though. how important of a factor is stock quality to recoil? the general consensus seems to be that the factory stevens 200 stock is pretty bad, especially at 30-06.

i've narrowed it down to the stevens 200 in the 30-06 or .308 caliber round. if i went this route, i would most likely take it to the range to check the recoil and feel of the stock. if it's bad then i'll probably add an aftermarket B&C medalist or choate tactical.

the other option is going with the remington 700 sps tactical 20" bbl .308. i like the shorter, lighter construction, and the fact it has a rather substantial bull barrel. from what i've read a thicker barrel stays cooler and shoots straighter. correct me if i'm wrong.

the sps tactical supposedly has a decent factory stock and a decent trigger.

that's all i've got so far. i'll probably bite the bullet within the week so your added input would really help. scouring the forums seems to lead to an abyss of mods and possibilities. i may be in over my head.

Last edited:
Beerandpizza:

Having shot both the .308 and the 30/06 while I was a member of several Marine Corps' rifle teams, I have found them kissing cousins: If you have one, in most cases, you don't need the other. Both the M1 Garand and the M14 shot possibles at 1000 yards. Something that you must consider when choosing a caliber is bullet weight. The .308 Winchester peforms better with bullets up to 180 grains. It will shoot the 200 grain but the bullet intrudes into the power room and the bullet's velociity suffers. On the other hand, the 30/06 can handle bullet weight up to 220 grains. Either caliber will take wild boar out to 300 yards if the shooter does his part.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Growing up in Alaska, I hunted moose with the .30-06 exclusively (180-200grs). However, now that I live in deer & elk country here in Oregon, I am switching over to a shorter, handier .308 w/ 165's this year. One reason being practice, I can buy US M80 7.62x51 surplus ammo for as little as 30 cents each, and since I have much less time to reload these days, I figure that this is the way that I can actually afford to get proficient again. So another vote for the .308.

30-06 for sure, so many more options of ammo for it anywhere from 55-220gr. They are prooven field performers not to say the .308 isnt but the 06 just fits your budget imo. As far as the rifle if you really want to tinker go for the build. Dont even buy the gun to start. Get online and just start buying parts and pieces, usually you can get a action and barrel for 200 bucks or so. Then Id get a Mcmillian Stock for it at around 200, Timney trigger at 150 or so, then get some Leupold rings and bases for it at 50 or so then get either a Bushnell 3200 or Nikon Buckmaster scope at 200 all that puts you up around 700 before tax and close 800 after tax then buy about 5 differnt ammos to try out with what you have left. With that setup you can sure find a 1.5" moa bullet to shoot which isnt too bad.

If I was going to have only one rifle for hunting it would be 30-06. You can find ammo in just about every backwoods mom an pop joint and IMO it is a more versatile round then the .308. I do like the .308, its a good cartridge.

Maybe, if your budget is a serious consideration, you might want to look at the Marlin X-7 series that starts at only $299
.308 & .30-06 available...Boyd's Gunstocks makes some killer stocks for 'em, real wood...
other folks make synthetics if that's your style.

Pay less for the rifle, spend some of the savings on a serious scope. You'll be amazed at the combo.

.308 for less ouch from recoil.

.30-06 for killing everything in North America.

Depends on what you're going to shoot with it. If you anticipate the need for 200 grain or heavier bullets, get the '06.

If you're serious about the 600 yard stuff, the only 'cheap' ammo for you is going to be a reload. You'll need an indefinite supply, safe from the whims of marketing, which shoots exceptionally well in your particular rifle. Figure out what it is and lay in a good supply of components. Strive to keep your loading procedures consistent. You may want to spend some time visiting with a High Power or Benchrest shooter who rolls his own.

FWIW, I think you made a good choice. I've shot a lot of old 110's over the years and I never saw one that couldn't be made to shoot well. A good number were scary accurate right from the box.

Get the Stevens and shoot it before you go to changing anything. I prefer the .308, but it doesn't really matter. I just like the shorter bolt throw is all.

You might find that the plain ole Stevens is a pretty good shooter as is. It doesn't have the Accu Trigger, BUT you can still adjust it for weight very easily. 3 screws removes the action from the stock and then it's a simple screwdriver turn to set the trigger to your desired weight. Down to about 3 lbs or so, which is actually pretty light. Additionally, you can easily polish the trigger just a tiny bit to make it feel crisper. Don't overdo that part though. Just a gentle buffing. Most people find the Stevens triggers to be very nice at that point. I get sub-moa out of my .243 and 22-250 without a problem.

As for the stocks, yeah you can spend $200 or so on a fancier one. Or if you just can't stand that ugly grey piece of plastic (which gets the job done just fine), then go to http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/?Click=39698 and buy yourself a real pretty one for under $100. They are great. Already finished and they just drop right in. Real wood and lots of different styles.

Back