First new lever in a while

I noticed Kimber makes a long range hunter in the 7 08 AI;)

I took the first shots today with just the irons--and was rudely reminded that using them is just a pipe dream--couldn't see them at all. :( Definitely a young person's set up. Other than that the rifle shoots very nicely--the recoil is noticeably less than a 308 win. Gotta do something about the trigger though.

it is an ultra-rare windless day here on the island.

OK Stag. What island are you on? I gots to know.:D

The 120gr bullets I mention in my other post were for a 15 year old girl to use. They gave light recoil and were just as effective as the 243 the other kids were using. I have since went back to 140gr and 150gr bullets. I like the heavier bullets in my guns. I am not too concerned about shots over 200 yards.

Gilligan's.:)

Nah--Mt Desert--on the coast of Maine. I was shooting win 140 gr powerpoint--still felt mild compared to an 308 load and much lighter than a 284 win. Gonna clean her up and put a scope on--I'll try out some firesights and ghosts rings maybe later.

Very nice looking rifle. Miroku does a great job manufacturing those, and other models, for Browning. Their quality and finish is excellent. Congrats on yur purchase.
That's a very nice looking rifle. I have an X-Bolt from the Miroku factory.
One of my best hunting rifles.

I'm finding a Kimber in 280AI.
Don't know of anyone ever chambering factory 7mm-08AI.
Of course Ackley never improved the 7mm-08 cartridge. Layne Simpson did.
Technically it's called the 7mm SGLC ( Simpsons Good Little Cartridge).
Pacific Tool lists their reamer as 7mm-08 40 degree.

Ever think about a red dot?

My bad--the 280 AI is what I meant. sorry bout that. I did try a red dot once on a lever gun--can't remember off the top of my head why I didn't like it or keep it on. I just put a 3 x 9 loopy with talley rings on--boosted the weight up by a lb.--I'll see if it works out--I figure worse case scenario I'll use it to develop some good loads and then switch to a set of "geezer irons" once I find a good set-up. Too bad I just can't use the BLR's--they are very nicely made and simple to adjust (hard to find in irons)--but I just can't see them--they are too fine. If the front beed were tritium dayglo and the rear had a couple of dots to frame it (I think williams makes a rear site like that) tehn I bet I could use them

Last edited:
After putting the scope on went out this morning and shot, results were terrible with the Winchester ammo! To be fair the ammo itself looks pretty bad--the case mouths looked like they went through some kind of hydraulic ram and put a really big crimp--the brass looks like it has incipient cracks and there's no telling what it's doing to the bullets (unless I pull one I guess). I have some bullets on order and hopefully handholds will yield better results.

Gilligan's.

Nah--Mt Desert--on the coast of Maine.

Ha! Thats funny. We may start calling you Gilligan. Hows that sound little buddy?:D

I only bought one box of factory ammo for my 7-08. Remington 140gr bullets in the green box express line. They shot OK. But never as good as any of the handloads I have loaded. I have used remington, hornady, speer and sierra bullets to load with. I really can't pick a favorite. They have all shot very well. More than good enough for deer hunting and killing one coyote.

I think reloading for this round is the only way to go. But I think the same thing for every round I own. And there is no need for an AI modification. It works just fine the way it is.

I looked up Mt Desert island on my old map program. Wow! i had no idea Maine had so many islands up and down its coast. Maybe some day I will make it up that far. Nice looking area. I bet it gets cold though.

Last edited:
Stag,

I picked up 100 PPU casings from Grafs for fifty couple dollars. Worked well for me.
Just a thought.
Appreciate that--I already have a couple hundred from starline--and as a back-up countless spent 308 and 7.62 x 51 cases.

All I need from you guys is a pointer or two on a very sweet load recipe--and I'll give it a go. ;):)

It's a bit odd--the power points in 1n 3030 from winnie shoot great out of my marlin 336--but the 7 08's are terrible--and they cost about $30 a box at wally world to boot.

I used 40grs of IMR 4895 with the 120gr Sierra bullet for a light kicking load for the 15 year old girl on the youth hunt. I used 42grs of IMR 4895 with a speer 130gr bullet for a lighter kicking load for me. Thats what I killed one coyote with. I also have Hornady 139gr loads with 48grs of IMR 4350. Killed one deer with that load. Last 47grs of IMR 4350 with a remington 150gr bullet. I haven't shot that load at anything but paper. All of these are interchangable at 100 yards without adjusting the sights.

If I thought I would be shooting at longer range I would tweak the scope to be 1" high at 100 yards for the bullet weight I wanted to use. I like heavier bullets and if the 150gr bullet groups well at 200 yards that would be my choice for an Elk hunt if I ever make it back to Colorado. But that may just be a pipe dream now.

The 139-140gr bullets may be the best choice in that round. And so far good old IMR 4350 has been excellent. There may be a powder that gives a little more speed or shaves a fraction of an inch off the group but I am happy with 1-1.25" groups I am getting. And my model 7 has the skinniest barrel you ever saw on a rifle.

My Marlin 30-30 hated power points but loves Remington 170gr green box ammo. You just don't know what a gun is going to like until you try it. It gets expensive don't it?:eek:

Thanks for that ratshooter--I have most of those powders--though the last time I ran out of IMR 4350 I couldn't find it anywhere so I bought a bunch of H4350 instead. As for thin barrel--you should see this BLR lightweight--thinnest barrel of anything I have including an .17 hmr. LOL

Yeah, IMR4895 for 120gr. IMR4350, H414, RL17, Biggame. All work well for 130-145gr.

I did a load test with 160gr. Sierra HPBT GameKings and RL19. One of my most accurate. Target is staples over my reloading bench.

Alliant PP2000 gave good velocities and had lowest ES(7) and DS(2).

Stag I have around 3 pounds of H4350 and it works just as well. I also have 4+ pounds of IMR 4350 and a couple of pounds of AA 4350. That has always been just a really good powder in everything except 30-30 loads. It in my test doesn't seem to burn completely in that cartridge.

I haven't tried some of the powders std7mag listed. I have so much powder on hand now that I will never have time to shoot what I have. I have around 50 pounds of powder (rifle and pistol) and don't need anymore. What a sorry state to be in. :(:D

I bought an 8 pound jug of AA 2495 (4895 equivalent) trying to find a universal powder for all the rifle rounds I load for. I also have IMR and Hogdon 4895 and while not the very best if its all I had on hand it would work. Its not that good for 243 but would still be OK. I don't shoot my 243 all that much and really prefer bigger anyway.

When talking about thin barrels I also have a Remington Mountain rifle made in the early 1990s as far as I can tell. And it has the same thin barrel as the model 7. And even with a 22" barrel as oppossed to the 18.5" barrel it just barely weighs more than the model 7. The mountain rifle weighs 6.25 pounds without a scope. And its chambered in 7x57. I have killed over half of all the deer I have killed with a 7x57.

got some 30 herretts to test tomorrow--right after that I'll whip up some 7 08 loads. I was just looking at the winnie 7 08 spent brass--pathetic.

Hey Stag. I also thought the BLR didn't handle as fast as other lever actions., I then cut the stock and put on a new pad so the LOP was 13-3/8" BINGO. That made all the difference in the world. Now it's as handy and fast as any other rifle I own. Might try it and see what you think.

Hey Stag. I also thought the BLR didn't handle as fast as other lever actions., I then cut the stock and put on a new pad so the LOP was 13-3/8" BINGO. That made all the difference in the world. Now it's as handy and fast as any other rifle I own. Might try it and see what you think.
I've cut down other rifle's buttstocks before--but I'd have to think long and hard about cutting a BLR--seems like sacrilege. :D Did that actually shave any significant weight?

If you need to cut the BLR stock, do the right thing. pony up the money for a replacement stock, and cut that one.

My Dad's last deer rifle was a BLR in .308. I inherited it in 03. Beautiful gun, essentially a gear driven bolt action. Kicks me worse than other .308s of the same weight, due to the stock fit.

Trigger is the worst thing about it. Don't know about the new ones.

Do be aware that spare magazines are almost unobtanium and priced accordingly.

Back