First muzzleloader for long time shooter

CVA Optima Elite

Hey there,
I am a little late on the forum but just wanted to throw an idea for the thread originator. I have done alot of research and found that without a doubt the T/C Encore is favored for the single shot ML and rifle. However, those that do own CVA Optima Elite's really like the gun. How could they not? Each gun in the Elite line has a Bergara barrel which are made in Spain from none other than Shilon himself. The barrles rank in the top 3 of the best built with outstanding accuracy. Not only do they carry the fine barrel but they also have DuraBright adjustable top line fiber optic sights, Quake Claw sling, and a Crushzone recoil pad. These are a lot of top line features. You can get the rifle in 6 different calibers. One thing that I noticed is that the Elite series comes stock with the Bergara barrels where the T/C comes with there own made however, Bergara sells there barrels to fit the T/C encore for better accuracy. So it appears that the CVA Elite has a better barrel to start. All of this for 1/2 the cost of the T/C Encore. I am ordering one from Walmart this coming week. I am getting the
.243 Win in stainless steel with the Realtree camo stock. $353 plus tax.
Not bad huh?

the annoying thing is in Nevada you aren't allowed to have a scope on a black powder gun for hunting ( strange ).

We also have this rule in Washington. However, I asked the Department to give me a ruling on that, when using my BP Hawken during regular rifle season. The answer was that I could trick out my muzzle loading rifle with anything that was legal to use on a regular rifle, while hunting during regular rifle season.

Pops

I've owned 3 CVA rifles including one that was affected by that old recall and replaced free of charge. (So I guess technically I've owned 4).

All have given excellent service and have been very accurate guns. I've taken several deer at 120+yds with them including one at 150 and one at 220. (and yes I had a witness for that one).

My current smokepole is a CVA Optima Pro 26". Have had it for 3 seasons and it has given great service. Very easy to take down and clean.

When you speak of plastic, and stainless steel, and scopes in the same sentence you speak of black powder firearms, you are just talking about a cheatline. It isnt a real muzzleloader, and it isnt going to be used for traditional muzzle loader purposes. It is just an excuse to get another game tag. Once you go to synthetic powder and copper jacketed pistol bullets in plastic sleeves, you might as well just take a .30-30 and be done with it. There isnt any pride left in that.

Whoever it was that spoke about flintlocks not being accurate or dependable obviously didnt know squat about what they were telling you. I do not use flinters, because I am a fan of the Hawken era, but they shoot just as hard and just as accurate as any other rifle. Once you blow a hole though both sides of an animal, how much more do you need? I use percussion rifles and patched round ball. That is what the traditional muzzle loading rifle was designed to use. Thank God, Colorado just outlawed that CVA electronic ignition and scopes.

The Lyman Trade rifle is another excellent choice for a beginner rifle. I have one in flintlock, and it is a very accurate shooter. Don't worry about the 1 in 48" twist, it can give excellent round ball accuracy. The brothers Hawken used this twist and I never heard too many complaints about them!

Back