First Mule Deer Buck

22-
This little Bay Dog is actually learning to still hunt! He did it well in CO and again on this trip in TX. Using the training collar, I just beep him back in before he gets more than about 10 yards ahead....he really loves being in the field and is pretty darned compliant about it. For still hunting, I let him roam and mark the area for about 10 minutes and then beep him and and make him sit on his own cushion...he does it!

In one case we jumped a doe out at about 40 yards. When Ash and I went still to see if a buck would follow, Miko actually froze also. No barking, no giving chase. I couldn't afford to have him with me on this Buck, though. He's just not seasoned enough. But he still didn't go to barking when I took off.
Rich

For the record, I love dogs. I just worry about a dog running deer or causing a lot of noise at that big moment when you are concentrating on the deer. Nothing beats a well trained beagle for rabbit hunting. Gosh! I used to have some good times when I was living in PA.

The Mighty Miko!

Rich, you must be very proud of the pooch. He's already a far cry from the feisty wee cookie thief I first met. A worthy companion, a fierce backup, and a pretty fair aircrewman! ;)

JPG

22-rimfire, please note also that Rich didn't actually hunt with the dog; he left it with friend Ashley while Rich did the stalk and shoot. Rich follows the rules:
attachment.php

But the dog comes in big handy when you've got a wounded animal that needs retrieving. (Rich was not in one of the counties that forbids pooches for tracking wounded deer.)

Attachments

• TX Hunting Regs Dogs.GIF
    TX Hunting Regs Dogs.GIF
    36.2 KB · Views: 166
Marmark, you just don't see mule deer in THIS part of Texas. You have to remember just how many different geographical areas of the country this one state is part of!
SpringMom, you're over 400 miles away from where Rich hunted that buck up! That's a whole 'nother country. :)

(They've also got whitetails there, too.)

Thanks Matt. Despite the fact that I'd not seen these regs, as you say, I was in none of the counties that prohibit dog tracking. Still, I'd be happy to have any TX Game Warden come along on the next hunt.

I ASS-ume the regs speak to the issue of a pup assisting with the hunt by jumping deer out of beds, running them down, baying them or the like. As you and Johnny know, Mookie's more along for the ride. I'd prefer he not even go after hog on his own....percentages are not good. Hangin' out, acting goofy and blood trailing...that's his job.

However, I do intend to throw myself on the mercy of the State next week by getting clarification. Can a dog be in the truck while hunting? In the field while on foot? Was he hunting Hog or Deer? Was I hunting Hog or Deer? (I'd have definitely taken hog if we saw 'em. He's legal for that.)

Bottom line:
What is meant by "prohibits a person from using a dog to hunt..."?

22-
I've no question that you love your dog. If this one turns out to give me problems while hunting, he too will remain home.
Rich

Miko is still young.

He was really good when I saw him last. He is still in training and will be for quite a while. He is very intellegent and needs the experience.

I remember Ashley sitting on him another time when we were taking Quills out of his mouth, he is going to be a good one to have around.
He might need to be tied up and learn that barking won't get him what he wants. Those training collars are great, but you need to be careful you don't break the spirit.

Some don't like dogs and the trouble they are, others enjoy them. A little give and take. Kind of like marriage.:p Long walks and that sort of thing. Just being together and learning about what life is supposed to be. Man and his dog...Does not get any better for some.

If you don't want him give me a call:D

Harley

Guys, It never occurred to me that you could be using the dog to hunt deer with and I don't believe that you were. I hope I didn't infer that. Please don't make these leaps in judgement. Not trying to start a controversy here. It was a really nice buck! Congratulations again.

My reference to dogs running deer was about "stray" dogs that people just let roam. I don't know anyone that actually uses dogs to trail deer in a hunting situation. That's illegal and unethical at least where I come from.

Was looking at another forum and bear hunting with dogs. They treed a 130 lb black bear and shot it in the tree. I felt sorry for the bear. It didn't feel right. Bear hunting with dogs is legal in several counties here in Tennessee. I guess because the terrain is so rough in the mountains along the TN-NC border. You're allowed to use them on wild hogs too.

Last edited:
Guys, It never occurred to me that you were using the dog to hunt deer with and I don't believe that you were. I hope I didn't infer that. Please don't make these leaps in judgement. Not trying to start a controversy here.
Nope, I didn't think you meant that-- I was just pre-empting any suppositions someone else might mike. :D

Rich, your buck reminds me of driving through the Canadian breaks and seeing good mulies on our way to NW CO, and thinking "why in the world are we going any farther than here?" Always wanted to hunt that area. As of yet, haven't done so. Congratulations.

Of Texas' 254 counties, there are 22 counties in east Texas where dogs may not be used to trail wounded deer.

As far as dogs along while you're hunting, the law prohibits a person from using a dog to hunt or pursue deer (unwounded deer).

Art

Around here we use tracking dogs but it is illegal to use dogs to hunt just at the first week of the season two redbone hounds ran some deer on our place and the game warden came out an took the mans dogs and wrote him a heafty fine for that and he was at his house the whole time it was happing there is a serious offience for dogs running game other than what you are able to :D :D :D

Hummphf.

Rich, now that Byron's mentioned it, I also cannot see the photos, using either Firefox or Internet Explorer. I clearly recall seeing them when the thread was fresh: Beautiful buck, intrepid hunter, and superpup all three.

If you don't want to take steps to make those images visible on the board, I'd be obliged if you could e-mail 'em to me. I'd forgotten to copy them to my album of West Texas Hunt photos. Not that I was on that particular hunt, but I'm quite proud to have hunted with you and Mookie on that ranch.

Best,
Johnny

Ditto here. None of the photos in the thread are showing up. I tried to post a photo that's already uploaded into the .357 mag for hog thread and nothing's there, although the attachments page says there is. Then I checked all of the photos I've uploaded in the past, and they aren't showing up either. Tried to upload another from my 'puter and the upload page locks up.

could be that the database is a little hosed from the swap over. Nothing out of the normal. It happens all the time. Same thing happened over at SOCNET (who is running the same forum software) when they upgraded their servers. They eventually started a new database and warned everyone that they should get what they need before all the old stuff was wiped to make room for the new database. I am sure THYME can get it in order. Nothing big, just an inconvienence.

Back