First hog hunt- need a rifle.

Thanks for all the replies.

I just came back from the local gunshop, and am wanting a Marlin guide gun in 45-70. It's a little more than I wanted to spend, but I've got a couple of months to save up for it. I still need to find out what type of terrain we're hunting in. If it's heavy brush, then going to go with the Marlin, if not, then I'm buying a bolt action '06- probably a Remington or Savage.

How about 30-30 Win? Anybody hunt hogs with one?

Another one of those hunts I know absolutely nothing about .... big pigs 'n bears.

But,

If hunting from a stand, would seem that one would have quite a bit of flexibility to place an accurate shot & drop the critter using standard deer/elk techniques/cartridges - no sweat.

But,

If having to hunt them on foot & have to deal with the possibility of a "close-encounter?" = I'd want one of the biggest, baddest rifle/shotgun heavy bullet load I could 1) accurately & 2) rapidly employ to break up the damned thing so it couldn't even get at me - ever, & forevermore

Screw killing it - I just want to break it up enough so it couldn't bite me! :eek:

Personally, I'me a pump-guy = I'd want some heavy-duty 12 gauge slugs, and/or a very heavy .30-06 760 pump rifle rounds - 200grs+ ... could be easily talked into .35 Remington, or beter - you make the call.

H&H = impressive & tell y'all what ... every pix of the big pigs I see, I just want to break 'em up.

Killin's for some time in the (very near future - hopefully) - I just don't want these (living) things anywhere near me!

M1A

If money is not an issue, I'd go with a M1A Scout. Chambered in .308, it's accurate and reliable. And, it's still legal in Cal. I have one and I love it.

I just kill them to help my dad out. I don't eat them (I tried once, but that is a whole nuther story). I used to use an M1 Garand but found that it made it difficult to track them due to no blood trail. I switched to #4 Buck and now huntin' is just a hoot. I generally get to verify my kills as the largest ones only run about 20 yards. I am a believer in Shotguns, but where I hunt, (coastal plains, Texas) you can get away with almost everything. Again, I don't go for meat.

BTW, is there any way to get rid of that peculiar "after-taste"? I have tried to eat some of the little females, and while tasting like regular pork going down, they left my mouth with an aftertaste that was disgusting. I would enjoy eating my kills if I could only make them taste right. How?

kjm,

Are you referring to the musk gland? The only times I have eaten the meat that gland has been removed so I don’t know what it makes the meat taste like (other than its supposed to taint it really bad), but I have never noticed an aftertaste on meat that has the musk gland removed.

Back