First handgun

25 years ago, I was in the same situation. I had grown up shooting rifles and hunting with my dad and owned a couple of rifles, but when I wanted a handgun, I didn't know where to start.
I went to a LGS near my house and the owner steered me to a 4" S&W Model 586 with fixed sights. I put a Pachmayr grip on it and shot thousands of rounds through it. I started handloading then too.
I've had several handguns since, and these days I favor pistols in .45ACP. But that old Smith still has a spot in my safe.

Ended up buying a .357 Mag Taurus model 66. Wood stock with a blued barrel. It's a six shot with adjustable sights. Wasn't planning on buying one this soon but as I was looking around I found this gun and it just spoke to me. It's nearly perfect and I got it for what I think is a GREAT price. Overall very happy and looking forward to shooting it :)

Thanks again everyone for steering me in the right direction :)

Enjoy your next range trip. Many of us on here try to be as supportive as possible since introducing new shooters to our hobby is what keeps our alive for generations to come. Now, grab a couple boxes of .38special and .357mag and have fun.

Congrats on the new firearm and enjoy! First handguns are like first girlfriends. They teach you a lot, that you never forget..........:D

Still have my first handgun purchased when I was about 25 y/o. 40 years later I'm still shooting it at the range with pin-point accuracy and it looks like it just came out of the box! It's a High Standard Sport King .22 LR.

guns, training, laws....

First, welcome to the TFL forum.
In short, there are a few "new handgun owner" & "what should I do" topics here.

Keep in mind that firearms are NOT props, toys, political or protest signs, fashion statements, or accessories. They are lethal weapons that can injury or kill.
If you are new to handguns, learn & understand the local gun/use of force laws.
Read a few books & get a few books/training guides. When you know how to safely handle weapons & can master basic marksmanship, you can advance to other drills.

Classes or seminars may help to if you have the funds or time. Take a 4hr class or workshop first then gauge the quality of the cadre/instructors.
1000s of new firearm trainers have sprung up since 2000 or so due to the new gun laws.

Top trainers include Clint Smith, Massad Ayoob, Duane Dieter, Larry Vickers, SIG Sauer Academy.
Keep your firearms clean & check them often. Also, only use factory made ammunition for defense, no reloads or hand loads.
As for choices, I'd agree the .38spl/.357magnum is great way to start. Many gunners start with robust, stainless 5/6/7 round revolvers or guns like Ruger's top LCR. My friend who's new to handguns, just bought a NIB(new in box) Ruger LCR with a Lasermax.
The SP101 DA only, .357magnum the L frame 686+, the S&W 442 or 638 .38spl.
A new 3" or 4" barrel wheelgun is good to start.
ClydeFrog

www.NRA.org www.gunlawguide.com www.mylegalheat.com www.gunvideo.com www.brownells.com www.gunsamerica.com www.natchezss.com www.midwayusa.com www.gunzilla.us www.weaponshield.com www.sgammo.com www.uscav.com www.magpul.com

Back