First handgun recommendations for a college student living off campus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do not say where you are from or which state you go to college... that may affect what you buy if new!

Here is a list from California and it goes from this to not being able to buy until you are 21.

https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certguns

So with that out of the way my first three handguns were revolvers in the .22 and .357 range, however the choice on all aspects of the handgun is best found with renting at a local range (which has been noted already).

Under federal law I don't think you can buy a handgun from a dealer under 21... there are some exceptions for private party transfers. States have their own requirements. I'm not sure you can even rent a handgun until you turn 21.

So, we can give you basic advise but other than point you to rent and see how you like different caliber and handgun types I will not give specific recommendations.

I’m a soon to be 21 year old college junior living in an apartment near my university. As per usual for newbies, I’m looking for a multi purpose (CC, HD, range) first handgun. My experience with firearms is limited to firing a .22 rifle and .22 revolver. Even though I’m in a very gun friendly state (no license needed to carry concealed or open), I come from a family of Democrats, my grandfather being the only gun owner in the family.

Anyway, I’ll probably go to a range to try out a few, but I’ll assume most of you will mention Glocks or some kind of revolver. Despite my limited experience, I’ve done my homework online and know more than the typical newcomer about the mechanics and such.

Regardless, I have a couple of questions.

1.) it’s my understanding that revolvers can sustain neglect very well and fire regardless of how it was cared for. Though I plan on cleaning my gun whenever I’m done shooting it, how well does your typical modern day semi-auto deal with not being shot or cleaned regularly? Being a university student, I’m not exactly gonna be able to shoot every week. I don’t know how often I’ll be able to, but I want to rest assured that it’ll work when I need it to.

2.) I’m familiar with the whole concept of limp wristing. Don’t hold the pistol properly and it jams. But this raises a question. If you’re in a close up confrontation with someone and you’re under stress, adrenaline pumping with a possibly shaky hand, perhaps just barely able to draw, would there be any issues with firing, or are most modern autos immune to this issue?

I'm not sure about your university but you may not be able to conceal carry on campus. I don't know your schedule or social life but if you're spending a large portion of your time on a campus that doesn't allow concealed carry, you might consider just a home defense gun, which may or may not be a handgun. If you live near campus, you probably have a somewhat higher crime rate which can be a problem if you can't conceal carry on campus with getting to and from your apartment safely and securing your weapon for when you're not there. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 9mm like the Glock 19 or something similar from a reputable manufacturer as a first handgun for CC, HD and range duties.

We are starting to get a touch silly. I had to delete some.

To summarize:

1. Learn how to use the gun - that's more important than minor nuances in modern firearms.
2. Be aware of local laws, safe storage and school policies
3. Recommendations for a Glub and Watson 8.75 DAO semi, because the poster has one or read about it - try them out first as recommended by many.

If you want it for HD, SD, CCW and Competition - find a good range and train up a bit.

So with that, I'll close it with a Glock 19, SW M&P, SW or Ruger 38/357 in a manageable size, with training and you are set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back