First Gun You Ever Shot?

The first rifle I shot was a Winchester lever action 22 mag.. The first handgun was a Dan Wesson .357 mag..

First Rifle: Marlin bolt action .22 magazine fed rifle. 7 or 8 years old.

First Centerfire rifle Springfield 1903 sporter 30'06, 16 years old.

First Pistol: Asta Model 400, 9mm Largo, 17 years old.

First Shotgun: H&R 12 ga single shot, (probably the reason I was not much a a shotgun fan) 16 years old.

yours in marksmanship

michael

------------------

Handgun : Irwindale Arms Incorporated 10mm Javalina. Overpriced jam-o-matic (My first gun. Started late in life, 23, collecting firearms.) Thought maybe I just got the bad one in a bunch and bought an AMT (formerly IAI) .45 Hardballer longslide a couple of years later. DOH! Same. Now use them for parts.
Rifle : My trusty Ruger 10/22 (doesn't like the Remingtons that come in a milk carton box, but eats everything else.) Got six of them now in various forms of customization.
Shotgun : Franchi SPAS-12 (full stock). About as heavy as a cinderblock tied to one end of a stick and you're holding the other. Looks impressive though.

- Ron V.

------------------

That would be a .270 Winchester back when I was about nine... I remember grazing a buzzard's head at 150m!

Of course, I was goddamn lucky and didn't know it at the time! :D

------------------
Si vis pacem Para Bellum -- Audaces Fortuna Juvat

My grandfathers old,old 12 gauge single shot at about 8 years old. I thought it was going to knock my head off but after I shot it I was HOOKED.

Marlin Glenfield model 60. My Dad still has it, killed an awful lot of pigeons and gophers with that, along with squirrels and skunks. They all seemed to get into the barn!

The first gun was a lever action Daisy BB gun. The second was a 12 gauge Sears and Roebucks shotgun. I was maybe 10. They told me it wouldn't kick more than the BB gun and I should hold the gun a quarter inch away from my shoulder. With relatives like mine, who need enemies?
My revenge is, I can now out shoot and out hunt all of them.

M16A1 in Basic. Still remember closing my eyes on the first pull, cuz I was scared of the recoil. Imagine my surprise when there wasn't any! Just got an XM15, and hope to re-live that memory!

The first gun I ever fired was my Dad's pre-War Colt Woodsman when I was four (yes, four). I have a very clear memory of shooting at a floating pop can in a creek. The first centerfire rifle I fired was a Winchester Mod 92 in 25-20. The first large bore rifle I ever fired was my Dad's 1903A1 Match Rifle. It blows people away when I tell them I have been shooting for over thirty years and I'm only 35!

Mossyrock

I couldn't resist this thread. The first gun is like a first kiss.....we usually remember it.
Mine was a Remington Mod.61 pump action .22.
I was 9 years old (1960), the gun was incorrectly priced and I begged Mom to buy it for me. Dad wasn't into guns, so she refused.
I campaigned all night and had the $$ as I had a paper route. The folks finally gave in with the understanding that the gun would be put away until I was at least 10.
If I remember correctly, I got the gun for $40 brand new. I still have it and its in excellent condition.
I finally got to shoot it on my 10th birthday.
Bill

------------------
Talk is cheap. Free speech is not.

OK Tull: Looks like you and I are the only one's to shoot a good gauge or caliber. My first shot (12 yrs) was with an ole 10ga double. It was my G-Fater's goose gun and yeah it knocked me head over tea kettle. Still like shotguns though.
He used to use a forked stick when he shot it and it didn't seem to bother him. Let's face it guys, from the sound of your chatter I am ancient. Retired from firearms after 42years with Uncle;

Harley

Webley and Scott "Junior" air pistol, used by my father and I at an improvised range in our back garden. I would have been about 10 or so. We shot flowerpots, tin cans, paper targets, and (yeuch!) slugs and snails that we had collected previously...

Like Mykl, I got a Daisey lever-action, CO2 cartridge powered, BB rifle on my 5th birthday. :) :) :) :) :)

Still smiling after all these years,
~Douglas in CT :)

[This message has been edited by Douglas in CT (edited 01-11-99).]

Back