First Gun You Ever Shot?

.22 Marlin, bolt-action single shot. I fired more that 100,000 rounds thru it, still have it. I believe it's older than I am. It's not for sale...

My dad was not into long guns at all, the only shotgun he had was an M37 that he had "confiscated" during a raid and the ATF would've frowned upon (apparently the DEA agents he was assigned to work with didn't mind....)
He says that I shot his Colt Python 6 inch first, but I really remember shooting my Stevens .22lr Bolt action first. I still have it, hanging in a rack in my den. I have 3/8 inch silver screws imbedded in the front and rear of the stock and a silly looking k-mart nylon sling, the butt pad has long since been lost and I have no idea where the magazine is.

He let me shoot the aforementioned SBS for the first time when I was about 8 and I dropped it!

To see the first gun that my daughter (21 months old at the time) shot, follow this link. notice the ejected shell over my knee. She fired 4 shots and broke two clays, with our help. They even showed a clip of it on a shooting show one time.
http://personal.bna.bellsouth.net/bna/2/w/2wheels/hunt/CHRISGUN.JPG

------------------
-Essayons

Ditto on the Marlin single shot cut the total to about 25,000.My brother still thinks he owns it. I just "watch" it for him.

I am pretty sure the first gun I ever shot was my dad's Ruger M-77 22-250. I can remember in kindergarden I only went to school every other day and if our days off were the same we would go shoot praire dogs. I know we used this gun often, but my memory is a little fuzzy about anything before that. I was shooting rifles at what I guess 5-6 years old (under direct supervision of course) , but dad did not let me shoot a handgun until I was about 12. He always said they were to easy to point in the wrong direction. The first hand gun I remember good, it was his Ruger Redhawk 44 mag ( with light loads) I shot 2 shots an missed by a mile.
Later
Daren

20 Ga single shot. My brother told me we were going out shooting, I was 12 or 13, he was 20. I asked him how much it recoiled, he punched me in the shoulder as hard as he could and said " Twice as bad as that." I stayed up half the night worrying about it. It wasn't anywhere near what he told me, but to this day I still don't like shotguns.

I don't know the details of the first gun I ever shot, all I remember is it was a .22. I shot it at boy scout camp when I was 11. Do boy scout still do that? I certainly hope so.

Dan,
The Boy Scouts in my area TALK about firearms but they're "too afraid of the liability"... (And this used to be Texas...)

M-14 in basic training. Fort Gordon, GA 1966

[This message has been edited by JBP (edited 12-13-98).]

Daisy lever-action BB rifle @ age 5. Used to hide in cottonwood thickets down by the Red River and routinely pop log-truck drivers on the bean through the open windows of their trucks as they drove past. This was my first really overt anti-social act. It was at this point that my family decided my innate skills with ballistic devices would be more acceptable, perhaps even desirable, in the military profession and culture.

Dan
Boy scouts do indeed still shoot. I've been been a scout leader for over ten years and we have an excellent shooting program.We have rifle and shotgun merit badges. The rifle merit badge can be earned with any of these types of firearms: air rifle, .22 or muzzel loader. At the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico there is a program where the boys can learn reloading and then fire the ammo they have made. My own troop uses two of our camping trips each year for shooting. One for rifle and one for trap. However, BSA regulations require that a NRA certified instructor be present at all live firing sessions. Some troops just aren't interested in finding one. They think they would have a problem locating a NRA instuctor, But its really very easy. Just call Nra.

My grandfather's Remington mod.33 .22 bolt single shot when I was about 7. We were on a camping/hunting trip in s/w Fl about 1943 and he finally gave in to my whining and let me shoot a few rounds at a blaze he made on a tree. Ammo was hard to get during the war, so that was it for a while. I think I hit the tree. I have the rifle, but it is not much of a shooter. After my grandfather died in 1960 my grandmother let the bore rust and now it groups about 12" @ 50 ft.

First gun was a Daisy pellet gun. My dad was sick of the squirels digging up his flowers so he put a $5 bounty on them. It went down to $1 after he realized I could hit the suckers though. First firearm was probably one of my great grandpa's old .22s.

Andy

I'm surprised that they the Boy Scouts don't shot in Texas. Even here is California, we shoot I think. Its been almost 3 years since my last Troop Meeting (I turned 18). And I haven't gone to summer camp since I got Eagle in 95. But we use to shoot at summer camp. and a couple of the adult leaders from our troop would always win some award for like most accurate adult leader. I think my dad won it one year. First gun I shot was a .22 rifle at some camp out in Iowa with my cousin.

garrick

First gun I ever shot (other than airgun) was a .22 single shot at a Boy Scout function as an adult. In this area, local scout district, we have an annual event built around shooting (shotgun, 22 rifle, archery, and tomahawk) each spring and for Scouters it is also the local OA call out. In addition we have a very active shooting program at the Council Summer Camp. Both are thankful to some very active Shooters who are also Scouters and NRA trained instructors.
Because scouting ends up being responsible for the scouts some leadership takes a very conservative point of view. In TX they may be a bit close to the national leadership since BSA national HQ is in Irving, TX. But, like everything else, if there is local leadership interested in sharing their training with the scouts it will happen. And now for the unpaid commercial announcement. Experienced shooters who are NRA qualified isntructors and want to share their knowledge with youngsters -- Boy Scouts are a great way to do it. Contact a local scout troop or your local Boy Scout Council (in the phone book) to offer your expertise. You do not have to become a registered leader to share your knowledge. We are always looking for knowledgeable adults who are willing to register (insurance purposes) as specialty merit badge counselors. Nuff Said.

Jim in IN.

------------------
-- TANSTAAFL

[This message has been edited by JJB (edited 12-14-98).]

Back