First firearm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomsmasher

Inactive
Hi there. In my overwhelming search online to find what my first handgun purchase should be, I came across this forum and hopefully those more knowledgeable and experienced can give me some recommendations. I would like to buy a handgun that I could keep at home for defense and something that would also be fun to use at a range. This may sound really lame, but I would like a gun that is pretty cool. Something that just looks badass and is sweet to use. Budgetwise I would like to keep the total under 1k. I will be purchasing it in Texas and would prefer to buy it new and in store. Thanks.

Edit: Just wanted to add some information based on reading suggestions. I have experience with hunting rifles and not new to shooting. I appreciate suggestions about safety classes etc. but that is not necessary. I am leaning towards semi-auto but not against revolver.

Last edited:
Do you have any firearm experience? If not I would suggest that you take a safety and shooting course first before purchasing a firearm.
Also to keep in mind is that a gun is just a tool, and it will do you no good (and likely harm) if you haven't any idea of how to use it, or use it competently. Shooting a gun is not like in the movies; a gun is not a magic wand that will put bullets wherever you want them to go and stop when they hit. It requires a lot of skill, focus, and practice to be able to shoot proficiently.

I hope that I don't sound like a jerk, but all of the above is true. However proficiency is attainable to those willing to learn.

As far as what is cool, that is entirely up to your personal preferences. I would suggest a full sized pistol in 9mm or a revolver in .38/.357 for beginners.

As far as looking like a "badass" goes, nobody who accidentally shot themselves (or their friend) ever looked like one. Guns are incredibly dangerous in the hands of anyone who either thinks or acts like they aren't. Please, please keep this in mind.

Last edited:
A good training course for new shooters should expose you to a number of different handguns and the pros and cons of each. You will have to figure out what you think looks cool and bad ass for yourself. I think you are describing a Ruger Blackhawk, single action revolver. You may not.

@natekirk
You don't sound like a jerk at all man. I would say you sound more like a presumptuous twerp, but that's okay man. Also, I never said I wanted to look like a badass with a gun. I was merely saying I would like the gun itself to be of an aesthetic quality, you know, badass.

Look at the Smith & Wesson Performance Center revolvers. A .357 / .38 Special with 7 or 8 shot cylinder would work very well for home defense and fun at the range.

I tend to agree with natekirk and bill west. Get some training first. buying a badass gun will come with time. don't rush the process do it right and be safe.

Here is a good place to start your journey:
http://www.nrainstructors.org/search.aspx

I believe a firearm with low recoil is the place to start it will help develop the best habits. Too much gun to quickly will develop bad habits in a hurry then it will take more time to correct that.

Good Luck
rtpzwms
NRA Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol,... Instructor

It would help to know what experience you have in shooting handguns, if any, whether friends guns or range rentals. Also what kind of aesthetic you are talking about - big shiny revolver? stealth black semiautomatic? $1000 is a fairly generous budget but there are many levels of badassery. You gotta give us more to work with.

@obambulate:
Thanks. I will look into that.
@slimjim9:
I have updated the OP with your suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited:
atomsmasher, I think that's a great attitude towards your first handgun. (A "first" can be very special to people, so having it be a "cool" first makes sense to me.) Something that's good on the range will mean fun and frequency at the range. So you want something enjoyable, encouraging, not terribly expensive to feed, and capable of performing home defense duty without being excessively powerful for indoor emergencies. Since you are leaning towards a semi-automatic, 9mm would be the natural candidate.

As far as 9mm handguns under $1K, there are lots of quality choices. Since you aren't planning on concealing it or carrying it everyday, you could narrow it down to just the metal options. Sig Sauer certainly counts as "pretty cool" and "sweet to use". (For instance...) I think you'll find some real-world prices squeaking in just under your limit, though more custom-looking "badass" models may cost a little more. There's also a bunch of amazing (and more affordable) options from CZ to consider.

@natekirk
You don't sound like a jerk at all man. I would say you sound more like a presumptuous twerp,

Geeeeeeeeez. The guy tries to give you some pretty good and very wise advice and you insult him. You're not making a very good impression. In fact that shows that you have a very juvenile attitude and maybe you should rethink owning a gun.:mad:

I am not sure how much you know about guns yet, but there are multiple things to consider when deciding on your first gun. You already mentioned that your primary purpose is home defense and something fun for the range. You also mentioned that you prefer semi-automatics to revolvers.

Caliber: The caliber of your gun should be one of the first things to consider since it will determine the cost and availability of ammo, the recoil, and to some degree the "stopping power". I am not going to start a caliber war so I'm going to leave stopping power alone, other than to say don't go below 9mm.
- 9mm: The 9mm is cheaper to feed at $.22 - $.25 per round and it is fairly easy to find these days. Recoil is lighter which makes it easier to shoot, but less "boom" may affect the "bad assery" of your gun. Smaller sized round usually means larger magazine capacity for the same sized gun.
- .40 S&W: Ammo is around $.32 - $.36 per round these days and is readily available. During the ammo shortage, it was one caliber that was still pretty easy to find. Recoil is a bit heavier than 9mm and a bit snappier. The round is slightly larger than the 9mm so you only lose a few rounds of magazine capacity compared to 9mm.
- .45 ACP: Ammo is a bit more expensive at $.36 - $.40 a round, but is fairly easy to find these days. Recoil is a bit heavier, but not as snappy. Most would say the .45 ACP is a pretty bad ass round. The .45 is larger in diameter and length which means lower magazine capacity and a slightly larger grip than 9mm or .40 S&W.

Trigger Type: This is getting a bit harder to classify these days, but I will try to simplify it.
- Single Action Only: The means that the only thing the trigger does is drop the hammer. The gun must be cocked in order for it to fire. Since we are talking about semi-automatics, it will obviously cock itself after each round. Pretty much all SAO guns have a manual safety. The trigger is usually shorter and lighter than any of the other trigger types, making them nice for the range, but possibly less-suitable for beginners. The most common SAO guns are 1911s.
- Double Action Only: The trigger brings the hammer back and drops it with each trigger pull. This is a long trigger pull and usually a bit heavier. This mimics a revolver's trigger pull. While it is "safer", it is less fun at the range. Most DAO guns do not have manual safeties. This is usually a trigger "option" on DA/SA guns.
- Double Action/Single Action: This type of gun is usually carried with the hammer down unless there is a manual safety. The first shot usually fired double action which is a longer heavier trigger pull. All subsequent shots are single action, which is a shorter and lighter trigger pull. This is a very common and popular trigger type and is seen on Sig Sauer's P22X series of guns, Beretta's 92/96 guns, and many others. Many DA/SA guns have safeties that double as decockers or they may have decockers only.
- Striker Fired: While this isn't a trigger type per se, most striker fired guns operate in a fairly similar fashion. Almost all striker fired guns have the striker in a partially cocked position. The trigger pull brings back the striker the the rest of the way before firing. The trigger pull is longer than for SAO guns, but most are fairly light. For follow-up shots, most striker fired guns have a short reset which does not require the trigger to go all the way forward before being fired again. Glock was one of this first (with the exception of H&K) to make striker fired pistols. Many striker fired guns do not have manual safeties. Springfield Armory's XD line of pistols add a grrip safety similar to those found on 1911s. Walther's PPQ is another very popular gun that is striker fired.

Metal vs. Polymer: This is mainly a weight and appearance thing. Some people do not feel comfortable carrying a "plastic" gun even though Glock has proven how tough polymer guns can be with their torture tests.

With all that said, here are some recommendations in no particular order:
Sig P229
CZ-P07
CZ-75 SP-01
Walther PPQ
Glock 19
Beretta 92 (M9)
Springfield Armory 1911

Mr. Smasher, look at the "1911" style pistols. There will be something that interests you. Right price range and many configurations. I like Colt.

For first handgun, I tend to lean towards range/target:
1. 1911 - Springfield Armory Range Officer in 9mm.
2. Xdm 5.25 Competition
3. Walther PPQ
If revolver:
1. Pre-Lock S&W (6" S&W 14 or 4" 686).
2. Ruger GP100 (The 3" Wiley Clapp looks nice or the Regular 4" version).

I have experience with hunting rifles and not new to shooting.
Handguns are very different than rifles and so are the skills required for them.
If you are a first time pistolero, your rifle experience will not be all that much help.
Listen to the folks suggesting to get training for them first.
You will not regret it.
Self taught handgunners are usually, how you say - oh yes - lousy at it.
Nagging over. :o

OP's criteria: "handgun" "home defense" "fun range gun" "price < $1K" "pretty cool" "bad ass" "sweet to use" "new"

Suggestions:

CZ 75B Polished Stainless or mat stainless
Witness Stock I or Stock II 9mm, or if you want it more "bad ass" in 10mm!
Revolver: S&W 627 8-shot .357 2" all stainless.

I will too echo G Willickers.
Hand guns & rifles are 2 different
Animals. Also, taking a hand gun course
never never hurt anyone.
As to "Bad Ass" looking gun,
I've been told that my blued
Model Ruger GP 100 4.2. "
357 mag. Is pretty cool
looking & will do just about
anything you'd want.
S&W also makes great
Pistols.
You made a very good decision
going on line & posting your
Questions and reasoning.
Good luck!
Doc

Looking at your criteria, my brain translates it into this:
- Looks cool
- Higher ammo capacity (home def, reloading constantly at the range sucks)
- Reliable (home def)
- Strait forward to shoot (first time pistol, easy to learn, home def)
- Accepts accessories (light for home defense)

*Spins the wheel* tick, tick, tick, tick... tick... ... tick

The Springfield XDM in 9mm!
Yes, I am a major fan for Springfield so I am biased, but you came to a forum filled with opinions, haha.

It is a great looking gun, reliable, easy to use, etc. Some people don't like the 1911 style grip safety (a safety on the grip of the handle that when you hold the gun properly you push with the webbing of your shooting hand.) It is VERY accurate, and you can shoot it all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back