First ever failure in my SP-01. Thoughts?

My wife's CZ 75 P01 has over 4k rounds through it. I have had a grand total of 1 failure since the purchase and it was the CCI primer. I agree with others, it's either your third party magazine or it needs a bit more lubrication and more time on the range. Don't give up on it. It's a great gun.

Granted it has been several years ago. But I found my CZ75's to be the least reliable pistols I've ever owned. Sold 'em, moved on and never looked back. They are one of those guns that are popular on the internet, but not so much in the real world. Over rated IMO.

Sometimes it’s magazine related, sometimes its the ammo. Some pistols are brats and only like certain brands of ammo. I like the ergonomics of CZ’s, but my Beretta 92 has been 100% with all ammo and factory+Mecgar mags, so it’s on HD duty overt my 75b.

I’d D.C.O.A. your SP-01 and then take it to the range with either 124 gr. Federal American Eagle or 124 gr. Blazer Brass and see what happens. If you still have a problem, then it’s time to contact CZ-USA customer support.

Defiantly don't listen to the guy that said CZs have a common, known, and documented issue of in the barrel leade/throat...

If you google "cz barrel throat", is anything positive found? Nope.

It may be nothing already stated. It might be your barrel, like all CZ barrels, could need to be reamed to accept all 9mm ammo.

S&B appear more round in the front than pointed compared to others, right?

It's your CZ barrel.

Take the barrel out. Drop a S&B round into it. Does it call all the way in, with a metallic clunk? if you have to push it in at all, you owe me a chocolate shake :)

I've owned at least half a dozen CZs. None of them had issues with S&B. It's what the factory uses as test ammo, at least on my examples from the test targets. If they all have this issue, then I should have won the lottery by now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=78374.0

Yep. You really are that lucky. :)

It's a known issue. The SP-01 and Shadows are most known for the issue.

"The distance from the headspacing step in the chamber and the beginning of the rifling is shorter in CZs than most (not all) pistols. This means that some ammo, depending on profile, might not fully chamber and will jam the bullet into the rifling"

It's fun when you include the whole quote:

"The distance from the headspacing step in the chamber and the beginning of the rifling is shorter in CZs than most (not all) pistols.  This means that some ammo, depending on profile, might not fully chamber and will jam the bullet into the rifling, which increases pressure unnecessarily and is not a good idea with stout-loaded defense rounds, or it will outright hold the pistol out of battery and render it useless.  This worst case scenario is not a common scenario, and most quality JHP defense ammo will work in a CZ just fine.  ALL of your commercial round nose FMJ plinking and target ammo will work just fine."

There are also people in that very thread that mention not having issues, and describe the issues as being more common with longer 147 gr bullets or truncated cones, such as on a defensive JHP. That's not what the OP is shooting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

because...

"What the OP was referencing was the typically short CZ "throat" or leade, as I described in my previous post. Compared to a Glock or M&P or Ruger or HK or Sig, etc., the max OAL that is capable of fully chambering with a particular bullet with a CZ is shorter than the others listed. This is a dimensional mechanical limit, and it's not about feeding reliability. It's about the cartridge getting so long that it jams into the rifling and/or prevents the slide from going all the way into battery and/or pushes the bullet further into the case (setback), all three effects of which are undesirable, and these happen despite that fact that the cartridge fed into the chamber properly. Tuning OAL to reliable feeding is a different matter, and I wouldn't say CZ pistols like them longer than average there. I would just say your CZ didn't like those bullets that short. Always push test new bullets and start from there. ;)"

All what I said from the get go.

It's a known CZ issue. I bet 10 donuts everyone in here is wrong about springs, mags, etc.

Does the S&B bullet *THUNK* all the way into position with the barrel out of the gun without pushing? If not....I'd like 10 French crullers please.

I suggest the OP search that forum and see how often this is a problem compared to their knowledge of this is an issue with other brands (ie, it's not).

Meh :) Good talk. No donuts yet.

This feels more like a “pile on” thread than an informative one.

I have a P-07 with nearly 1000 trouble free rounds without cleaning, other than a little spray ‘n wipe.

I have an SP-01 Tactical (new) with nearly 500 trouble free rounds with the same maintenance as the P-07.

Does that mean that all CZ pistols are perfect?
Nope.

Across a range of forums and hobbies, do guys tend to pile on to a complaint thread, regardless of whether it’s cars, guns, or audio equipment?
Yep.

Do a little more research other than just this forum, and I’m betting you’ll find a more balanced view.

It's about the cartridge getting so long that it jams into the rifling and/or prevents the slide from going all the way into battery and/or pushes the bullet further into the case (setback), all three effects of which are undesirable, and these happen despite that fact that the cartridge fed into the chamber properly.

That’s not what happening to mine. It jams when the case run
Is still in the mag air gas barely left it and the case is on the ramp.

If it pull the slide back a fraction the bullet flips up into the chamber and the slide into battery. Last time at the range this only occurred with one mag. Not my other 3.

Tha

In my experience, problems with seni-autos are almost always:

1. Magazine
2. Ammo
3. Operator error

If I can’t diagnosis the problem at a glance, then that’s the order I proceed on checking things (that’s where the two is one, one is none philosophy comes in handy as well since popping the magazine into another of the same type of firearm is step one usually.)

Like you, my problems frequently occur under time pressure where you don’t get to do a nice, rational evaluation of the stoppage, so one thing I like to do is mark mags so I can narrow down the things I need to check.

Not especially. As I said in the OP it all happened in one competition. Admittedly it coincided with a new batch of ammo but it also seems to be confined to a single mag.

Pure coincidence that a mag spring gave up the just the time I bought new ammo? I’ve been known to have that sort of luck!!

it’s time to contact CZ-USA customer support

I know you are offering good advice, for most of us. But Mr Pond is living a lot closer to the original factory than to anything in the USA.

And yes, I think it was a magazine issue.

Bart Noir

Back