First Deer Ever!

baddarryl

I have been deer hunting 3 times, last time was 25 years ago. After all day in the woods on Sat walking and stalking I decided to go sit next to a pine tree overlooking a clearing where I spotted a doe earlier that morning that gave me a wink, blew a kiss and took off. Been trying to get out there all season and finally did on Saturday with it being my only chance. Shortly before dark I figured that was it for the year. All of a sudden this little guy walks out and scoping him I saw he was a buck, but small. Thought of letting him go, but couldn't resist! 5 more minutes and I wouldn't have enough light to make the shot at 150 yards. Neither my .270 or I are virgins anymore. Already had the tenderloins. Delicious!

Attachments

• Deer 20111231.jpg
    Deer 20111231.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 251
Yes, keep replaying that shot over and over in my mind. Almost surreal. Boom and he was down, a tail flutter and that was it. Dropped him in his tracks. My daughter was glad to hear that there was no pain. :)

Congratulations on your first. My first was about that same size took him about forty years ago.

My first buck was a spike. The feeling I got getting it is still near the top of my list even after taking some pretty nice ones in recent years. Great job and those young ones are some great eating!! :)

robhof

My 1st half dozen deer were all does, had to wait 15yrs for a buck, does taste just fine properly cooked. Congrats on your score. Just got my 1st deer with b/p only 2yrs ago on last day of season and a miserable rain, had to go and a deer was nice enough to come and play in the rain for the last time.:D:):cool:

Back