First Deer/Elk (Big Game) rifle

try to shoot a 30-06 at a 250 yard target, then compare your accuracy to a lighter round like 243win, 260rem or 7mm mauser. It will be interesting, I promise.

I wanted something that I can use from deer to Beer.

In my opinion, shooting beer constitutes alcohol abuse. :D

Just kidding! Sounds like you made a great choice. Please provide a range review of the Benelli -- I'd like to learn more about this rifle. Good luck!

Some guys get target rifles and hunting rifles confused. These are the same guys who belittle pump action, lever action, and semi-auto actions. In their world, nothing but the finest bolt action is worthy to take afield.

In contrast, I've hunted with many rifles over the past 38 years. Remington's slide action is designed for the big hunter and is a superb choice. Our older model 760 in .243 will consistantly shoot one inch or less groups at 100 yards! It's action is enclosed in steel with a sliding dust cover. Easily one of the safest designs of all time. The trigger is easy to master with just a little practise. I actually prefer a slightly mushy trigger. Remington offers this rifle in a number of calibers including 30-06. It is common to find a slightly used 760 or 7600 priced at around $300. which is a genuine bargain in my opinion.

Remington's semi-auto(s) are also good rifles. Browning's BAR has slightly better finish details and the recoil is less because of stock design and weight. I had one in .308 for several seasons and it performed without a problem during sub zero weather in the Bighorn Mts.

Lever actions have always been popular with hunters. Browning's BLR is now offered in MAGNUM cartridges. Marlin and Winchester still out-produce all gun makers with their handy and reliable carbines.

Elk are difficult to kill with just one shot. Some guys opt for a hard kicking magnum as they perceive more power will kill better. But a quick second shot into the animal will produce even more damage. What I mean to say is that two well placed .308 Winchester bullets do far more damage than a single .338 magnum bullet. Do the math if you disbelieve me.

Hope this is helpful.
Jack ;)

That's A Fact Jack

Deer seasons are opening around here. This keeps our rifle ranges busy. I get a kick out of going and watching folks sight in their "deer" rifles.

I espicallly like seeing some guy with a new, ultra super magnum. Their flinch is almost as amussing as not being able to put enough shots on paper from a box of ammo at one hundred yards to sight the gun in.

I live way out on the west coast. Our deer, espically the coastal ones, are hardly larger then a big dog. I think a big enough dog might actually be able to retrieve one. I guess my 300 Savage is too old and slow for modern deer. They may be involved with BALCO too.

Roy:
Where in California do you hunt? We lived near Vacaville for 11 years but left in '93. I had a ball hunting coastal deer in the mts separating Napa and Sonoma counties. Also a couple huntin' trips to the Trinity Alps and another to Cape Mendicino. They may be small-ish but good eatin' animals.

My Dad killed stacks of Wyoming elk with his 300 Savage lever action rifle. They all died after a good soft tip bullet ripped through their chest innerds. I'm convinced elk are only armor plated in magazine stories than in real life.
Jack

By location I mean bullet placement. Regardless of cartridge or game size, proper bullet placement is the number one most important factor.

I grew up on a small farm. It was only four acres, but we made the most of it. In fact, my dad raised steer. Only three or four at a time, but it was enough to provide the best beef for the table.

When it was time for butchering, my dad would call this local guy to come drop the beef , gut it, and haul to the locker. This guy used an old, beat up, 22 single shot rifle. Granted, he got very close to the target. He also knew exactly where to hit it between the eyes. None-the-less, it was an animals weighing around 800 pounds. When he pulled the trigger, the steer would drop like it had been struck by lightning. It was scary.

The point is, a 22 rimfire, with one shot, killed an animal larger then most North American game animals just as dead as if he had used 458Win mag.

Back