First Deer/Elk (Big Game) rifle

maximuss

I have a question for experienced hunters out there.
After many days of thinking and narrow down to choose my first Deer Rifle.

It is either: Browning A Bolt Medalion

OR

Browning BAR Long Trac

I am thinking getting 30-06.

Only thinking this hard because I have heard many people complains that BAR lacks accuracy...but by how much?

Thanks.

BAR Accuracy is probably as good as the A-bolt, If you want really good accuracy go Remington, Weatherby, Winchester, Savage, Tikka, or Sako. Something with an adjustable trigger. Brownings have good accuracy and sometimes you get one(BAR or A-bolt) that is exceptional but it is not the norm. If you are wanting the fit and finish of Browning, which is top notch with the best accuracy try Weatherby or Sako. Also look at Brownings magazines, they are differnt and are akward for a lot of people.

Medallion 30-06

Composite stock

Leupold Vari-X III in 2-7 power

A friend was with me in the field with a brand new BAR he bought for his daughter. It jammed on the first several attempts to fire it. (Bang-jam-clear, Bang-jam-clear)

This was probably just a fluke, but fukes like this are rare on bolt action rifles.
Weather/temperature will have a greater effect on the semi-auto as well. ;)

I have Browning bolt actions and the magazines present no problem for me.
In fact, if you choose, you can use the handy magazines or load the bolt rifle down through the breech like any other brand. :rolleyes:

I'll second a non-semi for the first hunting gun. They are great fun plinkers, but they just don't inspire confidence (at least for me). Bolt and falling blocks are typically most accurate and fool proof (as far as feeding issues or malfunctions), lever actions are refined to rarely if ever fail to feed but typically are slightly less accurate. Not that there aren't some exceptional semi's.

Thank you for your info.

Would you think this is good tools:
A Bolt Medallion with Leupold VX-III 3.5 x 10?

Well, I made up my mind for the scope way before anything else....

Definately look at riflescopes.com....I bought a variX-3 a few years ago and spottingscope from them last year. Almost went with the Conquest.

You will love the medallion with the variX-3 (or burris or ziess)

308...the burris really out performs the leupold in low light? I never compaired them side by side.

I think so, and maybe a little clearer, the Zeiss kicks both butts. I have several Vari x 1s 2s and 3s, my favorite Luppy is an old 3x9 vari-x 2. The scope I really want is the new Kahles CL series.

The most important part of the deal for a hunting rifle is how well the stock fits your body. Just as with a shotgun, when you close your eyes and mount the rifle to your shoulder: When you open your eyes, you should be looking right down the centerline of barrel and/or through the sights without moving your head.

Scope? I got my first Leupold Vari-X II 3x9 in 1973. Still use it. Works just fine. :)

Art

The other option for an auto is the Benelli R-1. It's supposed to be accurate and if it's like their shotguns will be very good.

Nice rifles- although a bit too shiny for hunting at times.

If you are a beginner or reload I would go for the medallion.

Semi autos really call for an experienced or highly trained shooter to get the best out of them.

You may(or not) already know that the composite version of medallion is "composite stalker" I have one in 7mag. Matte finish on the barrel, palm swell on the stock. I chose mine for durability, but the Medallion sure is purdy. The only trouble with the magazine is that it does deforms some when placed between the rear tire of a pickup and an iron ore road. "Did you hear that? Must have been a rock" I found it a couple days later mashed into the dirt and a bent up a little. I got it to work again, but bought a new mag anyway.

Dry your eyes, my friend. All is well.

Possibly look at something in between. I came really close to buying the Browning BLR. But the BLR is heavier in the 30-06 caliber. I almost bought the 300 WSM because the short actions are substantially lighter. However, my primary elk/deer rifle is a 30-06 Rem. 700.
The 30-06 caliber is tough to beat. You can buy High Energy bullets from Federal to get great long distance ballistics. Check them out on Federal's web page. Also, ammo is cheap and always available.
If you go with the 30-06 I prefer the bolt action. I think the semi-auto's do a number on your psychi.....I think you will be prone to "praying and spraying"....or atleast not taking good aim on your first & most important shot. I experienced this when I went from a single shot shotgun to a semi-auto. Browning bolt actions are very lightweight as well.

i got one of the 'classic' rem 700's in 8mm mauser. put a leu vx-iii 3-9x40 on it (WA set aside one for me with the german #4 reticle, only fitting to have a german ret when using a german caliber). my winter project is to develop a good load with either hornady 170 gr, noslers 180 gr, or barnes triple-shock 180 grs.

seeing mixed results with factory ammo. the one box of winchester was getting about 1moa, remington about 2 moa, with the groups 4 inches to the right of where the win was.

Thank you for all your inouts and I used your opinion and advise.
I decided to go for Benelli R1.
I wanted auto loader for heavier caliber. I would go for bolt action with lighter caliber. My wife has Rem 700 in .243. My father-in-law shoots Win 70 in 30-06.
I wanted something tha tI can use from deer to Beer.
I may get Browning medallion in 270WSM next.

Back