First Completed Build

the1mu

Thanks to all in this community for the advice and answered questions.

Built the lower on this 10.5", 5.56 PSA pistol with my 8 and 6 year old daughters today. Great family activity.

Attachments

• IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 181
Nicely done. I have actually grown SUPER fond of the ROMEO series of red dots over the last 7 or 8 years. In fact, I have stopped buying AimPoint all together in favor of the ROMEO series.

My first Sig RDS was an STS-081 that came on my first gen Sig 516. I pulled it off and mounted the mandated AimPoint Patrol, but stuck the STS-081 on another rifle and years later and a gazbillion rounds through it...it has never drifted off zero.

Any time I buy a non magnified RDS now...it's a ROMEO.

I think that, and in combo with your new build will be a GREAT combo.

the1mu:

Very, very cool gun.

The fact that it's a Sig-Sauer, even better:) . And this is from a guy who mostly prefers a Czechpoint VZ-58 and a few imported AKMs (yes-irrational, delusional, "crackers").

The best thing might be that your daughters are interested, and that maybe they are young enough for the interest to blossom.
My son was already gone to college :( when my gun bug finally bit.:o

I built this Commander for my son from a bare frame and slide.
HPIM2259.jpg

HPIM2258.jpg

Beautiful work, Tex45. Alloy slide? Officer's Model grip length? And how's it shoot? Slide & frame finish type?

Here's my Sig 1911 RCS for comparison...really like the size, weight, and especially the trigger/accuracy. It's my hands down favorite for big (read adult) caliber carry. Regards, Rod

Both slide and frame are steel. Officers model grip length. It is almost as accurate as my Wilson Combat Professional. I don't remember the brand name but it was a company in Louisana and it was a Teflon based coating. They stripped the nickel finish and applied the coating. I was really impressed with the finished product.

your AR project puts you in a very elite group who not only assembles guns but perhaps more rare, you involved your little one's! I do hope she doesn't write about the project for school (Her last day!) but it sounds like you're teaching the more important things.

Someone needs to teach our school teachers to respect our nation's gun heritage.

Haha... my girls are homeschooled so they'd just tell their mom and she was helping us anyway!! Lol. And yes, the respect for constitution has gone out the window in our educational institutions.

HisSoldier- instead of telling us teachers what we need to teach, maybe Teach your own children about firearms at home, like the OP has done with his build. When the COVID clears up, go volunteer at your local middle or high school for a couple of months and scratch the surface of what a teacher deals with on a day to day basis. This teacher can tell you about the National Firearms Act of 1934, why it was enacted, and discuss the racist overtones of it as the violent acts in the newspapers were being committed by the Dirty Italians and Dirty Irish, the “illegals” of yesteryear. We can also discuss the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the social abuses that led to that legislation, the complete fallacy of the mythical “American Gunslinging Cowboy”, how in fact the civil was WAS about slavery and capitalism... if you want to educate, start with original source materials.

Just like the OP, who started with bits of metal and assembled his own AR. GREAT JOB!

My personal opinion is that ain’t no pistol, just like holding a scale model of a howitzer in your hand doesn’t make it a pistol, but the OP knows every pin and spring in that firearm and when the novelty wears off, he has the know how now to make it in to any sort of rifle as suits his fancy.

The fellas making 1911s... I wish I had the full up metal shop I once had access to. Beautiful work, all of ya.

Back