HighValleyRanch said:
I would take:
Hi Standard
Detonics
Chippia
Uberti
out of the economy class and bump them into the desired class
There's a problem with Hi Standard.

The original Hi Standard company was located in Hamden, Connecticut, and made decent handguns that are still sought after by some people. That Hi Standard is long gone.

There is a new company calling itself Hi Standard, and which I believe claims (rightly or wrongly) to be descended from the original Hi Standard, that's located in Texas. The products of the new Hi Standard belong in Economy at best, and possible (IMHO) in Junk.

Chiappa definitely belongs in Junk.

Stay polite or this somewhat silly thread gets closed.

Also, American Derringer is kaput and Carcal has tremendous problems if they are still in the game.

Bond guns are not economy class.

Play around more if folks want to but be nice.

Rohrbaugh is bankrupt, aren't they? I couldn't find their website anymore. It seems like they're gone -at least for the moment. Or am I mistaken? If they're still around, where do they belong?

They were bought by Remington

With due respect, and not trying to be rude or impolite, this has to be the most useless list I have ever seen.:D
Walther, Sig....P22, Mosquito???
Remington...R51???
On the other end,
Tanfoglio, Canic, and Bond Arms.... Really?
Are you basing your list only on price, and not taking reliable function, and accuracy in consideration?
Heck, I even have a Hi-Point C9 that is at least, if not more accurate as other 9MM pistols I own from your top list. It's also been 100% reliable as well.
You just can't go by price, or even reputation "across the board". Some expensive brands have sold less that top quality guns. Some bargain priced guns are excellent, reliable shooters.

OK, Cheapshooter, I've had two complainst about Bond Arms being there. Will move them to First Class. But P22 and R51 and Mosquito - we are only looking at the BEST handguns these companies produce. And are comparing those.

Do you feel Canic and Tanfoglio are First Class Guns? If you had unlimited funds, and could only buy one gun, is there a world in which you would decide for that to be a Cani or a Tanfoglio?

Do you feel Canic and Tanfoglio are First Class Guns? If you had unlimited funds, and could only buy one gun, is there a world in which you would decide for that to be a Cani or a Tanfoglio?

Tanfoglio... definitely. Especially if you are going, as you said, on the best the company puts out.

If you had unlimited funds, and could only buy one gun,
So your criteria is based on the price tag, not necessarily the quality of the build.
Having unlimited funds is very unlikely, but even more unlikely would be only being able to buy one gun. But I would have no reservations about a Canik

Last edited:
Wait, no. I mean, if you could choose and money didn't matter. I could have also said: If all guns were free, might you still choose the best Canik over the best of any other gun?

The problem is you can't judge a book by its cover. Some cheaply priced guns are excellent reliable shooters. Some work better as paperweights. Some expensive guns are worth every penny, others are overpriced but still nice, and others are total junk. You even have manufacturers making some great models and other pieces of junk (sig 226 v. Sig Mosquito comes to mind).
You just can't rank manufacturers this way. That said, you can probably come up with a handful of manufacturers that are reliable and good values almost all the time (CZ Glock Berretta) and several others that are great but occasionally launch a loser (S&W Ruger Sig) but for the most part this is a futile exercise.

maybe more helpful if...

You placed the company's best/flagship model next to their place in the list, that earned them the spot. For example, Taurus's PT92 is usually regarded well.

That may clear up some ambiguity for those companies that do have just 1 or 2 or a certain series that is best known. Or for the "junk" category if you should do it, which specific model. The junk category would offend more folks than the celebrated models.

Maybe a big bold "caveat" paragraph stating what many have, that in some cases they work fine blah blah, intended purpose etc, for the money etc etc.

I do see a use for this, if not for your own organization in your mind, for a new shooter trying to get the lay of the land. It would steer him/her into the right direction to make their own decisions and do their own research.

And then nothing beats having the pistol in your own hands and putting it to the test.

I do wish someone would do this for the AR15 rifle scene as there are so many people making receivers and uppers out there, they all seem the same to me. Ultimately it would take time and reading about specs and actually buying one for some real hands on knowledge though.

Guns by class,really.
Ideally, we would have an equal number in each category.
Is this along the lines of everybody that plays in the game win, loose, or draw gets a trophy?
There is no way that there will be an equal number in each category. Most all gun makers have made good guns and some that had a very short life span on the production line due to being a poor design. I have seen and shot S&W revolvers that are performance center guns and the trigger pull felt like the action was full of sand. That is supposed to be S&W's premier line. Not from what I felt while shooting them. Any gun maker will have some as we say "lemons" hit the store shelves. just my .02 worth

A cun little Internet exercise with something to offend everone, so this is possibly the perfect thread! <ggg>

I read your intro four times and didn't pick up what the "r" stands for. Could you clarify?

My own personal nit is your Walther selections. While the PPK is iconic Walther, it cannot be viewed as the flagship, that would be the PPQ now. The PPK has just recently gotten out from under Smith and Wesson manufacture.

For that minor annoyance, I admire your effort on this! Fun idea!

I read that American Derringer was sued by a LEO after a ND and the legal costs sunk them. I have not seen new guns from them at any retail outlet or gun show (even in TX where they are based).

Sometimes the gun rags still show pictures in their catalog issues but if in business, they don't have any profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back