First carry gun.

Get a hammerless S&W J-frame or Ruger LCR. Pocket or IWB holster. Done. Mindset is more important than tool set. A DAO revolver is simple, safe and reliable.

I have carried: AMT 45 Backup; Ruger LC9 and Diamondback DB9. I could carry my Boberg XR9-s, but choose not to because it's too pretty.

When I look for a carry gun, I want something very small, DAO or DA/SA. I don't mind safeties. Oh, and 9mm - that's what I prefer to carry. Small.....9mm.......small!

When I look for a carry gun, I want something very small, DAO or DA/SA. I don't mind safeties. Oh, and 9mm - that's what I prefer to carry. Small.....9mm.......small!

I started carrying that way, then I realized with my usual dress small wasn't always best. My EDC is actually getting bigger as the years go on.

Recently started EDC a Glock 17, up from a 19. I also carry a Glock 21 and 1911 on occasion.

I could never carry AIWB Was never comfortable . Try carry around 4 o'clock . I carry Compact 1911 a lot Pocket pistol a KelTec PF-9 .
It will take you some time to find you carry spot. Also a few holsters. Don't waste money on those cheap nylon holsters with a cheap clip. Spend the money for proper gear . I prefer leather holsters other prefer the plastic one .
Need a good gun belt also. No Wal-Mart cheap ,

I'm far too fond of my femoral arteries and the 'family jewels' for appendix carry...figure it's probably doable in training exercises, but a lot can usually does go wrong in real life scenarios and that barrel pointed right at the wrong areas both in the draw and re-holster movements. Get some training, and not the cheap kind either, and practice a lot before you commit to a carry method.

I like an OWB holster, at the old FBI 4 o'clock position, and for anyone new to CC, a revolver in that holster. That position is slow from a seated vehicle, but very quick for most any other type of encounter.

Best of luck and do get some professional training no matter what you start out with. Rod

Back