First 22 rifle, semi or bolt?

IMO, a bolt is a better 22 lr. It's accuracy potential is much higher and it falls in line with future rifle purchases and skills better, IMHO.

The main thing a bolt will not do is emphasize semi-auto handling skillls which are just a bit different and need to be ingrained to enjoy other semi auto rifles in the future.

That is how I feel the choice should be made.

Yep, only thing better than a bolt action repeater .22lr is a bolt action single shot .22lr. No mag to lose and it will feed *anything*, including colibris, flobert type rounds etc.

Yep, only thing better than a bolt action repeater .22lr is a bolt action single shot .22lr. No mag to lose and it will feed *anything*, including colibris, flobert type rounds etc.

I've been looking for a full sized 22 single shot for my grandson. All of the new single shot bolt actions I can find are youth models. The used ones I have found are rough and/or very overpriced. A well used single shot should not be priced more than a new semi-automatic like my Marlin model 60.

A well used single shot should not be priced more than a new semi-automatic like my Marlin model 60.

Why should a bolt action be cheaper? A blow back semi-auto is one of the simplest rifle actions in existance, the only thing simpler would be a full auto blowback action that fires from an open bolt.

up until the introduction of some cheaper rifles like the ruger american rimfire, the semi was the cheapest way to go. people often opt for a bolt because they have the same mindset that led military arms analysts to add magazine cutoffs to military rifles like the springfield: they think that all new marksmen are inherently undisciplined and that unless you give them limitations they'll burn through every round they have without limitations being imposed on them. people seem to think that if you have to work a bolt between every shot, you'll concentrate more and be less likely to take bad shots whereas a semi auto would encourage a shooter to take less time and shoot more, faster, with less mind paid to good shot placement. although there is some truth to this, if you are truly serious about becoming a better marksman then a semi would be just as effective as a bolt action.

Why should a bolt action be cheaper? A blow back semi-auto is one of the simplest rifle actions in existance, the only thing simpler would be a full auto blowback action that fires from an open bolt.

I don't think there is anything simpler than a single shot 22. When I was a kid, it was by far the cheapest rifle you could buy. I got one around 1960 for Christmas. It was a J. C. Higgins single shot bolt action that retailed for $10.88. My Dad paid $29.00 for single shot Iver Johnson shotgun around the same time.

Hmm... A bolt gun requires tighter tolerance. The locking lug mostly needs to be fitted to the receiver for proper headspacing. The gun will develop excessive headspace due to wear and peening. Auto loader has it bolt pushed forward by a spring. Part tolerance can be sloppier. There is practically no headspace issue down the road.

A single-shot actually is the same as a repeater. A lot of models just plug the well of a repeater by a piece of sheet metal. It is quite common to see a single-shot being sold at marginally less money than its repeater counterpart.

An auto generally has better value. More gun in a buck.

-TL

Back