Firearms on Trains

R W

What are the rules in regard to carrying firearms on trains in the US, local
and long distance.

IANAL

My understanding is that TSA has authority over trains as well and that there is no way to LEGALLY carry a firearm on a train (on your person or in your luggage, loaded or unloaded).

As always I could be wrong.

NukemJim

Local trains (ie light rail etc etc)... come under state law.... trains that provide interstate transport ie Amtrak come under Federal Law and are common carriers (just like an airplane)... it is against Federal Law to carry on a common carrier (ie Amtrak and also BTW Grayhound buses)...

I don't remember a "Security" area at the train station (I.E.: AMTRAK) or a Security Screening. It would come under state law, to my understanding.

State law here in Colorado says you can carry your gun anywhere where there is not an in-place security screening device/personnel as well as some public buildings. All other buildings are free reign, unless proper signage is posted regarding a policy against carrying a weapon. I do not see such security screening or signage at the train/bus station here in Denver.

Local commuter trains here, Light Rail (similar to the "EL" in Chicago), have no restrictions and are only based upon your legal ability to carry a concealed weapon as regulated by the state.

SOME AmTrak station do have metal detectors... so do some GreyHound stations.... either way it is a violation of FEDERAL LAW to carry on a COMMON CARRIER ie Grayhound OR Amtrak... also Amtrak does not allow ANY firearms in checked baggage at all (note checked baggage is not available at all stations)....

I had a class on this a few years ago. It is illegal to carry a weapon on any interstate commercial transport. Trains, aircraft, boats, buses. They even said that interstate truckers were not allowed to carry.

The reason there are no metal detectors at the train station, in the words of the instructor: "No matter how much you threaten the crew, and no matter how badly they want to obey, this train is not going to Cuba."

It was my understanding that transport NOT crossing the state line was exempt, but with the recent TSA searches on city buses, it appears that they ARE covered. I guess that would mean intrastate trains would be as well.

Let me throw this one out...

since I have not be able to find the correct answer...say one who lives in Virginia, and has a CW, is taking a temporary job in Maine for three months...he/she enjoys shooting, and wishes to transport (not carry) a handgun, locked in a gun case, via automobile, so that he/she may continue his sport of shooting at indoor ranges...now, I-95 is the route one typically takes to get to Maine from Virginia, and in that trip, one needs to cross the GW Bridge, taking you through upper Manhattan, through the Bronx, and northward through R.I., Connecticut, Massachusetts, etc....some of these states have highly restrictive gun laws accompanied by Byzantine penalties...is it OK to do so? Don't mean to get OT, since the thread is transporting of handguns.

Alnamvet,

In your case it would be fine. As long as the weapon is encased, unloaded and in the trunk (or rear of a hatchback) you are coverred by Federal law. You can not dilly dally alnog the way though. The gun should be legal to be possessed by you at both the point of origin and destination. The only acceptable reasons for stopping in states with laws forbidding the weapon are for "essentials" directly related to the act of travelling. This would mean gas, usually food (right off the highway, no detour for the famous restaurant in town...) and possibly an overnight stop as a part of the trip... in other words you have been driving for 18 hours and need to crash for a couple before continuing so you stop at a motel on the side of the road and leave the gun locked in the car. Some states/jurisdictions may make trouble on the last one so I would advise timing your trip so there are no overnight stops in places like NY and NJ.

That is only of course in a private motor vehicle... The COTUS does not apply on Gov't run Amtrak :confused:

Oh and Alnamvet... avoid Manhatten entirely. The laws are bad but the traffic is worse. Stay to the West and cut around NYC. Seriously, you will amlost certainly save time unless you plan on driving through the area at 2AM.

I agree with Musketeer, stay off 95 through NY City.

Just before the GW you can swing off onto the Pallisades Parkway. You take it up to I-287 go across the Tappan Zee Bridge and catch 95 up around Stamford, Conn., IIRC.

I HIGHLY recommend going up the Pallisades. It's one of the 1930s WPA project roads and is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL drive after the sterility of I-95 through Jersey.

There are a bunch of pull-offs where you can get amazing views of the Hudson River Valley from the bluffs (the Pallisades).

"Seriously, you will amlost certainly save time unless you plan on driving through the area at 2AM."

I did that once, and I do NOT recommend it. I-95 takes you through some VERY rough and dangerous sections of the Bronx. Breaking down there at 2 a.m. would be a very, very bad thing.

Yes, 2 am in the Bronx is not a good thing.

I agree, the Pallisades has great overlooks that are rest stops right off the highway. Remember, you are not stopping to site see, you are taking a needed driving break at a state provided rest area as a part of your interstate travel.

But if you're not allowed to be armed on the train, what will you do when the outlaws ride up alongside and start boarding to steal the strongbox? :D

Thanks guys....

I forgot about the Palisades...it's been over 25 years since I left NYC, and yes, going through lower Manhattan and the Bronx can be a nightmare...thanks again.:)

I recently went from my homestate of NY (western end) to Maine. This takes me through Mass and NH also. I was illegal to carry in Mass and NH, but have ccw for NY and Maine. Because of Mass strict guns laws, I stopped prior to Mass and took my gun off my belt and locked it in my trunk with it unloaded - once I reached to Maine border, I reloaded. I felt like a criminal passing through Mass even though I was complying with their stupid laws. It's not worth the risk - I believe it is still a mandatory one year prison sentence if you are caght carrying a handgun in Mass without a permit which is nearly impossible to get!

Why not get your NH CCW? It's very easy and very cheap, no qualifications needed.

I believe it is still a mandatory one year prison sentence if you are caght carrying a handgun in Mass without a permit which is nearly impossible to get!

Only if you're a law-abiding citizen who made a mistake. If you're a gangsta who actually took a shot at someone, you'll be out in two weeks, if you even see a jail cell.

"I did that once, and I do NOT recommend it. I-95 takes you through some VERY rough and dangerous sections of the Bronx. Breaking down there at 2 a.m. would be a very, very bad thing"

Especially if you have to call a tow truck. They are bigger crooks than any dirtbag you might be accosted by on the street.

They even said that interstate truckers were not allowed to carry.
Not true.
but with the recent TSA searches on city buses, it appears that they ARE covered. I guess that would mean intrastate trains would be as well.
Again not true (at least on a federal level). CCW is specifically allowed on buses and rapid transit in Utah.

Back