Firearms in parking lot (OHIO)

I would also not ask. If you don't mention it, neither will they most likely. If they do decide that they want to search your car, they need a police officer with a warrant (as was mentioned before) at which point you probably have done something worse than lock a gun in the trunk. Judges usually don't issue warrants to uphold corporate policies.

Perhaps you should keep an eye out for a more 2A friendly job in the meantime.

Oh, Im looking for a better job. Trust me, but right now a warehouse is about all I can find. I'm about to start a criminal justice program and go through the academy, so I'm not wanting to risk losing this job to violation of company policy involving firearms, and have that go against me when I apply for a department job.

Zukiphile, I had a job a few years back (things might have changed since then) where a co-worker got fired because he was dating the managers daughter and they broke up. Nothing happened at work or anything, but he came in after they broke up and was told he was fired. His lawyer called the manager about an hour later and informed the manager that OSHA would make him pay three months pay for an unjust termination, plus a hefty fine, so they settled for just the three months pay.

I don't think OSHA handles wrongful termination nor do they have the power to make someone pay anything. They are pretty much just involved in safety issues and such.

In TX employers have the right to dictate behavior on their property (and then some). My employer has implemented a policy banning weapons (and explicitly listing several different kinds including handguns). When I address new employees I explain the policy and how their car could be searched with reasonable suspicion or no suspicion at all given their status in a right to work state; then I advise them to park off property if this concerns them.

If my employer TOLD ME he was going to search my vehicle, I would tell him where to go, whether I had a weapon in it or not. Find a new freakin job with a company that treats its employees like adults! It isn't worth your safety to put up with ignorant employers.

Last edited:
If the policy is NOT written in the employee handbook, (which I am sure you had to sign a statement acknowledging that you have read the handbook and that you are expected to follow its guidelines), my un-lawyerly opinion is that a sign posted on the bulletin board does not hold any authority. Any changes to the employee handbook should be made in writing and handed to each employee, and the employee signs another statement acknowledging they have been informed of the new rule/guideline/etc.

Otherwise, there is no way your employer could lawfully claim that 'all employees were made aware of the changes to the handbook'.

And +1 to researching further exactly what laws your state has regarding 'at-will'. In my state, which is 'at-will employment', its one way or the other, but not both. I can be terminated for no reason, I can quit for no reason. But the moment the employer gives up a reason, they can't hide behind 'at-will', they must be able to provide adequate documentation that there was cause for termination, or they risk facing a lawsuit.

I can be terminated for no reason, I can quit for no reason. But the moment the employer gives up a reason, they can't hide behind 'at-will', they must be able to provide adequate documentation that there was cause for termination, or they risk facing a lawsuit.

Employers face the risk of a lawsuit regardless. Whether or not it is meritorious will depend on the precedings.

I'm not aware of a situation where my company has chosen to refuse to give a reason. Refusing to give a reason will most certainly cost an employer an unemployment case.

I wouldn't ask the question, I'd just continue to keep whatever I felt like keeping in my personal automobile and keep my mouth shut. If the company supplies me a car, then they can tell me what I can and can't keep in their car.

Unless I worked with some sort of classified information, there is no way I would put up with what you're describing. Security making you empty your pockets? :barf: Really? No way, that would be my last day on the job. Search my personal car, nope, sorry, not happening.

Unless you work in intelligence/national security, you don't sign away your personal freedoms when you take a job.

I suppose you could say that I feel rather strongly that what I do outside of the time I am actually on the job is none of my employer's business.

Dr Strangelove said:
I suppose you could say that I feel rather strongly that what I do outside of the time I am actually on the job is none of my employer's business.

On the other hand, an employer might consider whether they intend to continue your employment their business. The Cleveland Clinic will fire you if you are caught smoking twice, even if you are off duty.

Just to be obvious, it is a lot easier to be an absolutist about one's rights in the workplace if he already has a fully satisfactory job. If one needs to empty his pockets to pay his mortgage, he will almost always comply.

Just to be obvious, it is a lot easier to be an absolutist about one's rights in the workplace if he already has a fully satisfactory job. If one needs to empty his pockets to pay his mortgage, he will almost always comply.

Or an infant at home

Or a pregnant wife

Or need critical health care

Or all of the above

ect, ect, ect.

It's amazing how little those can principals mean.

I work in Sharonville and our company jumped on the no weapons bandwagon several years ago.They included no weapons in parking lot.I told our manager at the time,fine,since there are several buildings in this industrial complex, which is our parking lot and which is open parking?Then i asked him to provide a copy of the company policy and their acknowledgment that they are taking away my right to protect myself to and from work.And that they would be held responsible for my death or injury by my inability to protect myself.And to please give me two copies so i could give one to my lawyer.
I'm still waiting and nothing else was ever said on the subject.

Sounds to me like an attorney blew smoke up that employers butt, because I sure have never heard of any such provision in Ohio law, and my grandson was terminated a few months ago by his employer without just cause, and J&FS said there was nothing they could do to help him, other than run a unemployment claim for him. He had injured himself on the job, and they decided that since he couldn't move furniture, they no longer needed him.

Dang. I wanna find that lawyer then. haha

Well update on the firearms in the parking lot issue.

Security stopped me today. Asked to see my pocket knife. State law is loose and doesn't give an exact size, more of a judgement call by an officer or judge, but either way, company policy is a 3 1/2 inch blade. Although they GIVE us razor knives with 7 inch blades on them.

benchmade-griptilian.jpg

This is the same model knife I had on me. They stopped me when I took it out to go through the metal detector. Measured it and tried to tell me they were going to confiscate it. I lost my cool a little, and asked them if they were sworn police officers, and when they said no, I asked them to give me the knife back. They refused at first, and I started to get really heated, but when I insisted on getting my supervisor out here with a copy of the handbook he changed his tune. I told my supervisor he was harassing me. Surprise surprise, thats not his first complaint about the same guard.

My question is the no guns allow sign whether it's on private or public land or not constitutional. The 2A states pretty clearly - No laws against.....

By banning guns in a certain places and parking lots, it's pretty much cancel out the right to bear arms, legally that is.

My question is the no guns allow sign whether it's on private or public land or not constitutional. The 2A states pretty clearly - No laws against.....

I believe you mean "Shall not be infringed".

You have a lot of gall to try to dictate what can come on MY property.

By banning guns in a certain places and parking lots, it's pretty much cancel out the right to bear arms, legally that is.

Kinda Pollyannaish. Who pays the rent on that parking lot? Or "other", If someone murders or molests my child and I can get a gun through security at court I will surely kill them.

How much free speech do you have? Do you think that right applies here?

The 2A states pretty clearly - No laws against.....

2A

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I wonder what the rules concerning open / concealed carry were in the time frame 2A was written. Even better, what were the rules in the actual building that it was written and signed into law. Were there challenges back then?

Should tell the intent of 2A concerning limiting access to certain places don't you think?

Back