Firearm lubricant and cleaner

I have some old stock FP10 but have read that Weaponshield is a later and improved formulation.

I used weapon shield CLP for quite a while. probably still have over 1/2 of the last Qt bottle I bought. Smell is mild and non offensive. Lubricates well. Cleans well. Does seem to treat the metal over time when used as a stand alone clp. I have had it dry out on me on guns that were stored for longer periods of time. rust prevention is just ok.

I am currently using a separate cleaner and lubricant, I am using Lucas extreme duty oil. It seems super slick, its a bit thicker than most oils, and it stays in place really nice.

Last edited:
I do have a bottle of Lucas gun oil, I like the small needle applicator and the rubber stopper that goes on it. I picked it up on a road trip because my Beretta was looking a little dry at the time.

Seven Hugh, I just saw this article about gun cleaning products that you might find useful:

/www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ready-aim-fire-5-favorite-gun-care-products/ar-A

I'm a big fan of the Lucas Oil Products. Almost all I use. The Extreme Duty Oil is really good on most firearms. I find their aerosol CLP works the best on the rimfires.

I'll use the Hornady One Shot when going into a dirty or dusty environment on Bolt Guns, or on ARs with NiB or QPQ bolts.

Their bore solvent should be renamed to "Choke Tube and Ultrasonic Cleaner". It does not do a good job cleaning bores, especially copper, for which I go to Montana Extreme or GunSlick foaming.

The only product they have I have seen degrade and separate is the grease. Leave it for 4 or 5 months and there will be a stickier dark blue grease and lighter blond oil. So that is a product I only use before a match on my Shotgun action.

I have 13 different products in my inventory and some that I have used but never bought again. My favorites are those marketed by KG Industries,LLC (www.kgcoatings.com):

KG-1 for carbon removal and loosening copper fouling (at one time in the past I had written to KG and they were honest enough to advise that they had experimented to find a product that would efficiently remove carbon and copper, and KG-1
didn't loosen copper to their satisfaction, so they added KG-12)

KG-2 Bore Polish
KG-12 Copper Solvent

Another that I've used for over 50 years is G-96 Gun Treatment. It is one that Cleans, Lubricates and Protects. I use it routinely to polish and shine my stocks as well as the metal portions of the guns.

Back