"Fire" Lapping With a Bore Mop?

I had a bad experience with "home brew" bore cleaners. I tried the hydrogen peroxide and vinegar mix to remove some stubborn leading. It worked quite well, but only if used sparingly and for short periods of time. But my "home brew" of ammonia added to commercial bore cleaner is safe, won't affect bluing or etch the bore, and does remove copper...

After screwing up my Dan Wesson's bore, I'm extra careful what goes on/in my guns...

"Bronze core brass bristle brushes will react with ammonia-based solvents, that produces blue-green stains on your patches that can be misinterpreted as 'false positive' indications of copper fouling."

It's not just ammonia-based ones. The water-base chelating cleaners attack it even faster. Same with brass, of course. This is why Bore Tech has a line of cleaning rod jags made of an alloy that doesn't react with the cleaners called their Proof Positive jags. That is, if you see no blue, you know the bore is clean, whereas a brass jag will turn the patch blue in the time it takes to push it from the breech to the muzzle with Bore Tech's Eliminator and Cu++. Not a problem I ever had with ammonia, which is significantly slower to work.

Martin Hull, Sierra Bullets' ballistics test person and top ranked rifle competitor, made and sold the bore cleaner Sierra's test barrels were cleaned with.

Hoppe's No. 9 mixed about 50/50 with very fine dental pumice. 'Twas called "Martin's Mustard" because it looked like Heinz yellow table mustard.

Smeared on a cloth patch wrapped on a jag, several to many strokes through the barrel cleaned everything out. Then a clean patch or two with a bit of Hoppe's took out the residue.

My favorite jag for 30 caliber barrel is a sub caliber nylon bore brush, 22 to 26, whatever makes your patches tight.

Last edited:
"Bronze core brass bristle brushes will react with ammonia-based solvents, that produces blue-green stains on your patches that can be misinterpreted as 'false positive' indications of copper fouling."
Yes, shows the ammonia based cleaner works. I don't often use copper/brass brushes to clean copper/brass from a barrel...

How did this turn out? You might try bore tech eliminator or CU+2. I have only tried the eliminator (bore cleaner, does copper, lead, carbon, corrosive) but it removed copper quite well. Talked to them and they said the CU+2 was the heavy duty copper specific product.

Back