Finally!

Well it finally warmed up to 32 degrees F here in central PA.
And i just got home from 4 hours at the range.

We're still waiting. Lol

I LOVE the grass paint job and tan metal. Very cool. Just don't set it down in the bushes and walk away, you might not find it again! :D

The grass is a water transfer print called prairie ghost camo. It was supposed to be more sand hill colored to blend with the area I live. It was supposed to have more browns and tans than the pictures show, and the metal was originally supposed to be sage green. I'm glad the applicator changed it after seeing the stock.

A little update on the rifle, when it arrived to my surprise the gunsmith doing the work had included an EGW 20 MOA base which I hadn't asked for. So the first chance I got I tried mounting a scope on the rifle. I have a 6X42 SWFA Super Sniper I've had for a little over a year and I decided to mount it on this rifle, though I'm not sure it'll remain on it as it makes the rifle almost 9 lbs.

Anyway I ran into some issues mounting the scope that were unforeseen. I leveled up the action and then leveled up the scope in the Burris Signature Tactical rings, but every time I shouldered the rifle the reticle was canted to the right. So after fooling around with the scope far longer than I should have, I finally realized the action wasn't sitting level in the stock. So when I leveled the stock the action would sit about 1/2 bubble off level, so I realized that I was going to have to bed the stock to get the action level with the stock.

Due to time constraints with work, I took the rifle to Kevin Weaver of Weaver Rifles and he's correcting the stock issues. Things I learned with this issue, is I probably created it by having the action re-profiled. The Savage Accustock has to engage the full length of the action to work properly, and the flats I had profiled into the action prevent this. So I'm guessing one of the flats wasn't the same dimension as the one on the other side so that was causing my cant.

Got the news that the work was done, but I haven't had time to go get the rifle yet. Hopefully this is the last issue and I'll have a chance to shoot this soon. I'll start a new thread when I "Finally" start taking it to the range!

Taylorce,

I have the EGW 20 MOA base on my Mauser build, and my Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag.

I really like the EGW, except for one thing. They are really tall.

I have the Sightron STAC 4-20X50 on the Mauser. Needed to get low rings to be able to see through the scope.

I got the Warne "permenant" rings.
While i really like them, i'm thinking of swapping them out for a set of aluminium rings.
Ounces turn to pounds after walking a couple miles.

Still need to finish up the bedding on the Mauser stock.

We'll keep each other posted. Lol

Yeah. The rifle did end up heavier than i anticipated. Planning on mostly using it on the gas lines.
Furthest walk i do there is 1200 yards. Each way... Doh!!

Std7mag, mausers arent for hauling very far....
But thats usually what I hunt with anyway.
I like how they shoot and feel, and its a rifle Ive tinkered with the whole year before season.....

My next 2 builds are gonna be Savage actions.

My Stevens 200 in 7mm-08AI is getting the E.R.Shaw barrel in 250 Savage.
Buying a used Axis to make into a 7mm-08AI.

The Stevens barrel is pretty well shot out.

That's not true at all.
My spare .35 Whelen barrels, .30-30 barrels, .270 barrels, 16 ga barrels, and 20 ga barrels are just tomato stakes. I swear!

They'll never find their way onto another long gun. I swear!

std7mag said:
Only true rifle loonies like us would just happen to have a spare gun barrel in the closet. Lol

I've toned down on the parts lately, down to just a few rifle barrels. .358 Win Savage prefit,. 30-06 take off from a M70, two 6mm blanks, and a .223 Savage take off.. Just two donor rifles/action left as well Stevens 200 .243 and HVA 1600 action. I guess im slipping. ;)

Back