FINALLY! I have my 7th Cavalry Model P in hand and got to shoot it.

I suppose mine is a pinch-based style

Not really. It is just the old 1st Gen V groove style sight. Nothing pinched about it. The 'pinched frame' refers to the fact that the rear sight was 'pinched in' about 1/4" from the rear of the sight.

Here is the rear sight on an old 1st Gen Bisley.

BisleyColt_zps4d8dbbd3.jpg

Here is the squared off rear sight on a 2nd Gen Colt on the left, and an Uberti/Cattleman on the right. Personally, I prefer the 2nd Gen sight. Easier for guys with poor eyesight to see.

2ndGenColtandUbertiCattleman_zpsbe079bb7.jpg

DRIFTWOOD, does your bisley loading gate have the last three numbers of the revolvers serial number stamped in it and what year is your bisley? my 1902 bisley and a friends bisley have the last three numbers of the revolvers serial number stamped in it. i had always heard the three numbers on the loading gate were factory assembly numbers and did not match the revolvers serial numbers. eastbank.

Thanks for the comparison of the sight channels Driftwood Johnson. Like yourself, I prefer second generation. Eyes aren't what they used to be.

My eyes are old and I'm fighting issues with glaucoma and my right eye (strong side eye) is the worst.

My revolvers have both types of sights pictured; I actually prefer the V notch rear with the narrow tapered blade.

A little trick I did to my revolver with the narrow tapered blade and V notch rear was to polish the tip of the blade that's facing me to a bright silver finish. I pull that down in the V notch and it works great for my old eyes.

Thank you for the sight comparison Driftwood Great looking pistols! Funny you should post a picture of a 7.5 bisley, I've been eyeing one at a LGS since about a week ago. Apparently its been there for some time. Tag on it right now reads $509.98. It's a .45 colt also...had it been a 44-40 I believe "the strain, would be more than I could bare" :D

Well at 29 years old, my eyes are still "decent" although I have trouble reading certain color signs at long distance. For right now I GREATLY prefer and shoot much better with the early fine sights, compared to the 2nd gen wide notch on my stoger imported cattleman.

Back